WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously, I have worn G-Shock since '85 or so...since there was only one G-Shock model, anyway, whatever year that was.

Recently though, I have been wearing an Ironman, and I have to ask, what does the G-Shock have over the ironman, other than.....hmmm...toughness appeal?

I'm looking at my basic model ironman, and I love it. The all day white reflector display, no useless dials, etc...nice countdown, 3 time zones that I can access via one simple button & set for 12/24 time, 5 alarms, turn off the button beep ( which is a major plus ), day & date display standard, lap counter, etc, etc.....

I'm left wondering what I ever saw in the G-Shock, other than the coolness factor. I've killed G-Shocks, had them die, etc. So they are not indestructible.
Granted, I have only been wearing the ironman for a couple of weeks, but all is good so far.

Have not checked for any seconds/month loss/gain, true, but seconds per month is not a big deal to me.

The watch sticks like glue to my wrist without having to tighten it down so far it's biting into my skin, looks good, nice large display with basically no wasted real estate, etc.

So yeah, maybe there's something I'm missing even after all these years, so I'm asking. Tell me about any real world experience with the ironman basic model, not the shock, just basic.....

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I've had a few Timexes over the years too, and I liked them as well.
I think that, apart from the slightly higher build quality of the Casios, there's really nothing else that is in fact better about them. It's mostly a psychological thing. Brand preference is probably the major deciding factor, in a similar way to brand preference in cars.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Seriously, I have worn G-Shock since '85 or so...since there was only one G-Shock model, anyway, whatever year that was.

Recently though, I have been wearing an Ironman, and I have to ask, what does the G-Shock have over the ironman, other than.....hmmm...toughness appeal?

I'm looking at my basic model ironman, and I love it. The all day white reflector display, no useless dials, etc...nice countdown, 3 time zones that I can access via one simple button & set for 12/24 time, 5 alarms, turn off the button beep ( which is a major plus ), day & date display standard, lap counter, etc, etc.....

I'm left wondering what I ever saw in the G-Shock, other than the coolness factor. I've killed G-Shocks, had them die, etc. So they are not indestructible.
Granted, I have only been wearing the ironman for a couple of weeks, but all is good so far.

Have not checked for any seconds/month loss/gain, true, but seconds per month is not a big deal to me.

The watch sticks like glue to my wrist without having to tighten it down so far it's biting into my skin, looks good, nice large display with basically no wasted real estate, etc.

So yeah, maybe there's something I'm missing even after all these years, so I'm asking. Tell me about any real world experience with the ironman basic model, not the shock, just basic.....
i have one timex a perpetual calendar i like that very much. but as far as the g type style i have looked and never liked one yet. of course i have not seen them all but never appealed to me. check out buzz's post he was wearing them for a month and i think he likes them alot.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
They are compatible brands. Personally I see no problem in liking them both. I'll add Suunto here too. :-!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, Suunto I don't know about. I have owned one, and Observer, I think, and the watch face was flush with the bezel and was plastic. I don't care for that at all. Seems like a scratch magnet. And it was fairly large as well.

Yes, I really like the Ironman. 3 times zones that are very easy to use, occasion reminder that I thought was gimmicky at first but it actually very practical, and super easy to operate.
Unless it dies during something unexpected, I can't find the downside.

And never mind the price...unbeatable.

·
Registered
399 Posts
in my case; i like the atomic feature. i've had several ironman's; great watches. timex now have solar and shock resitant. looks is subjective, and i've never actually tested the casio things like mud and rust resitance and depth rating. same goes for suunto and my pathfinders.

·
Registered
471 Posts
i owned only one timex ironman so far and it havent failed on me yet. it's being abused more than my g-shock although it's ana+digi ironman :-!
love the clear silver display, the size/weight is good, look tough and dressy at the same time.

my only problem, the case is not stainless steel. my sweat bite into the case and make small black spots at rear of the case and button...

·
Registered
152 Posts
IMHO its a matter of preference...for the module and format in the watch...some like BOLD numbers, some like them HUGE, some small and Bold...most timex digits are large and long/narrow...Gs and Pathfinders slightly shorter but BOLD...and some like the display patterns on most Gs. To me, the format of operating a Casio is less complicated than a Timex (thats just me) nontheless, I own a Timex 30lap Ironman and so far i think its a brilliant watch!! face is clear/easy to read...the watch is comparatively smaller than a G...and fits snugly on ur wrist with those moulded straps. Most also agree to the superiority of the indiglo NIGHT MODE on most timex when it comes to one touch operation in the dark. I also have an Expedition ana/digi with rotating bezel which is light and durable (looks like a trasser). Even with all the plus points...i still prefer Gs/Path by Casio so u see, its totally individual taste in watches that differs from one person to another. When serious work needs to be done...in rain or shine...both Timex and Gs/Path does fine...:-!

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
I have no experience with timex watches, but from what I read here and elsewhere they seem to be great - even better - than casio watches functionwise. now, if functions would be the only thing important to me, I already would own at least one timex. but since looks is also a factor I will stay away from this brand I'm afraid. I just haven't seen one model to date that I really like and appeals to me.

regards, holger

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
but since looks is also a factor I will stay away from this brand I'm afraid. I just haven't seen one model to date that I really like and appeals to me.
That's how it is for me. I've been diverted by those white displays, but then I imagined my G-Shocks with similar displays and didn't like the mental picture at all.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
I've had a few Timexes over the years too, and I liked them as well.
I think that, apart from the slightly higher build quality of the Casios, there's really nothing else that is in fact better about them. It's mostly a psychological thing. Brand preference is probably the major deciding factor, in a similar way to brand preference in cars.
i agree.......
now i have a Dw-5600E for running and working
like i said here:
https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=156182
but i am planning of buying a timex because of the pusher on the top of the case that maybe it's easyer to use while running than the casio side pusher....

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
What does the G-Shock have over the Ironman?

My frequent custom. ;-)

I've tried more than once to like Timex watches (something I've not had to do with G-Shocks), and failed. I appreciate the functions and features, but other than nite-mode there's nothing I want that isn't found on G-Shocks.

·
Registered
189 Posts
when looks are a concern, IMO g-shocks look better...i dont really like the design of timex ironman... and i dont like those skinny lcd numbers... i recently passed on a timex humvee on ebay philippines even if its just for Php500 around $12... the same seller who sold a 5600c to me for Php400 roughly $10, it crossed my mind to get it also, but its not really that appealing to me so i passed and just got the 5600c...

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
LOL If you thought the observer was to big... yeah, you are not a Suunto fan.. thats one of their smaller field models. LOL

:)

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
Also most of the Timex models are smaller and lighter... I used to wear timex a LOT when I ran. I still think they have the best modules for running. WAY better FOR THAT APPLICATION. And when you run, most people want a smaller lighter watch.

But I prefer a larger thicker watch. So most of my Timexes are in the drawer... :) but they are tough watches... Back when I wore ONE WATCh (what was I thinking) I wore Timex's every day, all day.. and they took a LOT of abuse!

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Well, I think Timex is a good watch brand, and they have come a long way recently. But over time they (in general) don't stand up to the abuse that G's have thrown at them. The good side is that they're usually cheaper than G's, so they're basically disposable...the bad side is it's apparently very diffulcult to get replacement parts. This means that when you want a new bezel/band for the Timex you've had for a few years, you may not be able to replace it.

In the end though, it's usually a design thing. I like my Timex Shock, as the crystal is protected, and it has features I like (plus it's Solar and uses the awesome ML2016 battery). Most of the Timex Ironmen I've seen have rather exposed crystals...and that's a big turnoff for me.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Timex has (at least) two negatives in my book.
1) On many models, the buttons are too easy to push so the get pushed accidentally.
2) Many of them only have plastic crystals, and they scratch easily.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
G-Shocks have many qualities that are better than those on a Timex Ironman.

• Far superior crystal protection on most models
  • Higher quality crystals than are found on many Ironmen
  • G-Shocks buttons don't get pressed accidentally.
  • Superior shock resistance in comparison to most Ironmen models
  • Ability to read the current time in stopwatch and CDT modes on many G-Shock models
  • More durable straps than are found on many Ironman models
  • High available of replacement parts (Timex support is effectively nonexistent)
  • All-around higher parts quality on most models
  • Atomic timekeeping available on many models
  • Many solar models
  • Much more highly collectible
  • Ability to accept strap adapters
  • Generally higher module reliability
This isn't to say that a Timex Ironman is not a good watch. It's just that Timex generally puts all of their effort into the module features of their digital watches, and likes to shroud these modules and a lightweight strap and sport styled case. When the watch wears out, you buy a new model, instead of repairing the old one. For watch collectors, who tend to grow sentimental attachments to their watches, Timex Ironmen are not a very good match. For those who rely on advanced module features, and view a watch is a disposable sport tool, the Timex Ironman is a perfect fit.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Let's face it, G-Shocks are for Cool Dudes and Timex are for those in sweaty boxers and smelly trainers! ... :-x:-x:-x:-x:-x:-x

1 - 20 of 40 Posts