WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I am sure the watches are superbly finished, but from a HAQ point of view the old 8J movement is even less advanced than the 25-year-old 9F (and that's saying something!). No independently adjustable hour hand and, unlike the 9F, the 8J does not have a rate trimmer.

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
...from a HAQ point of view the old 8J movement is even less advanced than the 25-year-old 9F (and that's saying something!)...
From a HAQ point of view the 25-year-old 9F is not really bettered by any other thermocompensated watch! I sincerely hope that the main HAQ criteria is still accuracy/precision. If so then the Seiko 9F is still on the top of the tree. It has one of the most advanced thermocompensation scemes with superb algorithm.
For some reasons the 9F has pretty poor PR here in this forum while other movements got more than their fair share of credits... Wonder why? After all this is the HAQ forum where accuracy/precision is (or rather should be) paramount.
A year ago or so I visited my local Seiko service center (that functional as a shop as well) with my Horometer quartz tester. We measured the accuracy of one of my Seiko watches and their instrument and the Horometer had different results. It was obvious to me that their instrument was not properly calibrated but I could see that they did not necessary share my view so I thought I can demonstrate it by measuring their one and only Grand Seiko 9F "special edition" with the within 5 seconds per year accuracy claim that were on display behind glass. My demonstration was a complete success as it proved that both my Horometer and their Grand Seiko 9F were properly calibrated as the repeated measurements indicated an accuracy of 0,00 second/day for the Grand Seiko 9F. The 9F movement is nothing less than an etalon in the world of HAQ.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
It's true, I may be a bit harsh on the 9F. But that's partly because I like my SBGV009 so much that I bought it twice! My 9F-powered GS is one of my all time favourite watches. And yet... having to reset the time twice per year makes a mockery of its precision. And if I travel then I either have to leave the GS at home or else hack the watch yet again.

I love the bit of extra power that drives long hands all the way to the edge of the dial. I love the precision with which the second hand hits the markers. It really is superbly made. Most of all, of course, I love the fact that I can open it up and adjust the rate. This is what secures my GS's place in the top five of my collection, above current offerings from ETA and Citizen.

But given how much pride GS seem to take in this movement and given how much it costs, it really does bother me that they still haven't got around to adding a perpetual calendar or an independently adjustable hour hand.

And yes, the newly announced GMT model does finally add an independently adjustable hour hand but after more than two decades I would have hoped to have seen this in the three-handers before now. My 1975 Omega has independently adjustable seconds, minutes and hours and is even more accurate than my GS (by a hair's breadth, I'll admit), so whilst I don't doubt the supremacy of Seiko's algorithms, there's always the real world experience to take into account and for me the 9F always disappoints because it's so darned good and I feel Seiko have robbed it of the chance to be even better.

Anyway, I apologise for side-tracking a thread about a cal. 8J! I have an 8J in one of my watches. I can't remember which, off the top of my head. Not being able to adjust the rate rather dampened my interest in it. But since Credor don't use the 9F, I think the 8J is probably an adequate HAQ movement if the style and finishing of a Credor is what the OP wants.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
While I am Mr. Moderator the main HAQ criteria is still accuracy/precision.
No argument with that. However, seconds per year (which can only be definitively measured over one year) is meaningless if your watch has to be rehacked for DST and every time you dare to venture abroad. A watch that you have to leave at home, and which is an hour fast or slow for half a year is a pretty silly advertisement for accuracy. Anybody can stick their expensive watch in a glass case and admire it daily, but the clue is in the name: "wristwatch".

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
I didn't look at all of em...but OPs model was the only one using the 8J86, which does have the IAHH. (EDIT: well, that and its brother...same dial, diff trim.) Most are the 8J81, which doesn't; there's some 2-handers as well, that are 8J80s.

It looks like Credor is predominately going for extra-thin. OP's watch is 8.5 mm ... nothing to sneeze at. The 8J81's were basically 6.5; one I saw was 6.7. Eek. Which is understandable I suppose; Credors are by and large pretty formal dress pieces.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
I agree that it has to have high precision to be in this forum, but part of the conversation is the features like perp calander and size which makes it a watch worth buying and wearing. Personally I'm not interested in a 35mm watch even if it was to have 1 spy accuracy.

Of course if you're into small thin HAQ watches this is a nice option.

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
... seconds per year (which can only be definitively measured over one year) is meaningless if your watch has to be rehacked for DST and every time you dare to venture abroad. A watch that you have to leave at home, and which is an hour fast or slow for half a year is a pretty silly advertisement for accuracy...
- Seconds per year is indeed meaningful even monthly, weekly or daily base! Just check the accuracy reports on this forum!
- There are watches that are suitable and non-suitable for certain activities like swimming, frequently travelling between different time-zones etc. That is why most of us have more than one watches among other reasons.
- Daylight saving is not something that will permanently stay with us as not everyone is found of it. For example the European Union is considering to abolish it. Having said that it involves only two adjustments per year and surely it won't affect any serious accuracy test or measurement.
- Facts are facts: the Citizen and Junghans 4MHz offerings, the Rolex OysterQuartz movements, the Seiko Twin-Quartz movements and the current Seiko 9F are legendary high-accuracy/precision timepieces even without independently adjustable hands and therefore they do matter in this forum.
- Just a reminder: From an accuracy point of view (the main criteria of this HAQ forum!) a digital or analog user adjustable calibration option is much more important than independently adjustable hour hands or perpetual calendar! Still somehow this is not reflected lately in this forum... Again I'm left wondering: why?!
- I can clearly remember that in the early days/years of this forum the then participants knew exactly what mattered most and water resistance, independently adjustable hands, perpetual calendar and aesthetic considerations were not among them! We clearly separated the must have from the nice to have. I can see that this forum these days is different from the early years and it reminds me that quantity rules over quality. But one thing is certain if this forum back then started like as it is now then it would have been a very short lived insignificant one.

Reactions: ronalddheld

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
It's good that we can all hold and express our different opinions, usually without acrimony. None of it makes any one of us intrinsically right or wrong.

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
Didn't you know that Tom is actually a giant spider? Not an octopus, as he doesn't have enough dive watches.
I thought he just had 6 arms, like Kali.

And you don't need to worry about *all* of them. One TZ is specfic to Lord Howe Island, which is about 350 miles west of the east coast of Australia.

But yeah...one watch per TZ would mean another carry-on bag charge these days. And can you *imagine* the mental stress when they're not all perfectly synced?????

Reactions: ronalddheld
1 - 19 of 19 Posts