WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
It has been suggested that the number could represent the production run, with the number indicating what individual machine/s were used in the production and when.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
The serial number on all frogs has meaning.;-)

From left to right, the first digit is the production year; the second is for month and the rest four digits are the real serial number.

For example: 501234 means issued in year 1995 (or 2005, you should have a common sense to guess) October and it is the 1234th frog produced.

For the second digit, N means November and D means December.

Sometimes you can use this number to check if the frog is a customized one or original. For example, all the DW-8200B-9A (Golden eye frog) were issued in 1995. So it must start with digit '5'.

Hope this helps.

Wah

·
Registered
6,361 Posts

From left to right, the first digit is the production year; the second is for month and the rest four digits are the real serial number.

For example: 501234 means issued in year 1995 (or 2005, you should have a common sense to guess) October and it is the 1234th frog produced.

Sometimes you can use this number to check if the frog is a customized one or original. For example, all the DW-8200B-9A (Golden eye frog) were issued in 1995. So it must start with digit '5'.

Hope this helps.

Wah
thank you, Wah !!! and now i know :-!

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,599 Posts

Hope this helps.

Wah
Hi Wah,

I had read something about the production date readable from the serial number, but never have read such a detailed answer. This would be a great add on the G-Shock WIKI. Thanks!

Cheers,

Sjors

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Thanks. I learned it from some G's experts sometime ago.;-)

·
Registered
371 Posts

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
While I think of it, is there a way of reading Citizen serial numbers?
Actually tribe, Citizen and Seiko's read the same way (IIRC :)). First digit is the last digit of the year produced, and the second digit is the month (again, with "N" and "D" reading as Wah described).

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Actually tribe, Citizen and Seiko's read the same way (IIRC :)). First digit is the last digit of the year produced, and the second digit is the month (again, with "N" and "D" reading as Wah described).
Wahay!

So my quite rare Promaster Tough, with the serial number 340012, was made in April 2003, and was the 12th to come off the production line. :)

And my slightly less rare Promaster Tough, with the serial number 430135, was made in March 2004, and was the 135th to come off the production line.

If I've got that right...

Good man, Topher. :-!

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Wahay!

So my quite rare Promaster Tough, with the serial number 340012, was made in April 2003, and was the 12th to come off the production line. :)

And my slightly less rare Promaster Tough, with the serial number 430135, was made in March 2004, and was the 135th to come off the production line.

If I've got that right...

Good man, Topher. :-!
Sounds right to me. One thing with Seiko though is there are a few watches that spanned a 10 year period, so some may be newer/older than you first think ("9" might be 1989 or 1999). But normally, you can...as Wah put it "have a common sense to guess" ;-).

For instance, my MarineMaster was made in October 2007, and was # 41 of the year :-!.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Ok, since we're doing other watches, anyone know about the serial number on my Gulfman? 202A122G
I think only the Frogman, and a very few select other models have actual serial numbers. The Frogman is the only one I know of with a serial number that shows date of production. The rest are the limited edition serial numbers (like for the BAPE being "004/300" or something similar). I think the very small/light numbering you're seeing is some kind of internal part code. I've seen similar numbers on casebacks of different 5600's I have, and wonder the same thing though.

Could you get a good caseback shot of this? I don't have my camera with me to show what I think you're talking about.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.