WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Depends on the watch I suppose.
I have a watch my wife purchased for me when I received a promotion at work, a watch that my son got me for my birthday and my grandfathers watch. All these hold sentimental value.

I have others that are vintage like my tissot Seastar and my omega constellation that mean nothing to me other than they are great watches that peak an interest as they are vintage and caught my eye.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Depends on the watch. And I'll be cliche but every Rolex tells a story. Got my datejust a couple days ago and had it engraved "with love, always" on the caseback. For me it means it's a watch I'll wear all the time, one I'll make memories with, and the fact that my signature is on it makes it more meaningful.

All my friends and family get that signature when I write letters to them. In a word, my Rolex means everything.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Depends on the watch, some have sentimental value, some have memories, some are just an expression of myself and some just tell time or time events

·
Registered
186 Posts
Mainly a friendly sight to behold, secondarily a time telling device.

Reactions: Riveredger

·
Registered
188 Posts
I wanted something that I would want to wear everyday. A three hand no date. Not to big not to thick but robust on a nice bracelets and easily served locally. I did not want my daily wear to be a diver, field, pilot or dress watch.

It had to have uninterrupted lume that lasted all night. It had to have applied indices and wr to at least 100m. And an easy to read dial without all the text. Sapphire crystal and screw down crown and mechanical.

Tudor BB41 steel bezel black on bracelet for me.

·
Registered
8,818 Posts
Doesn't mean much more than its intended purpose--a small device to tell me the time when I need to know. I honestly could live with just about any watch that accomplished that purpose, and I would be good--the world would not end if I were forced to get rid of them all, but one, and it really wouldn't matter all that much which one, as long as it did its job.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Generally, they don't mean a hell of a lot. I have an Oris Aquis I bought in Aruba in 2017 on a family vacation...it brings good memories and was my first "nice" watch. My wife told me to get it the day that I saw it. I went back-and-forth for three days before she told me to man up and make a damn decision. If I could only keep one, that would be it.

The vast majority of mine are simply toys...I like 'em, but toys nonetheless. I consider myself fortunate to be able to enjoy this hobby and still put food on the table. But, trust me, the watches aren't the priority.

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
My watches are mostly for my own aesthetic pleasure. Most people don't know or care about watches so I wear what I like. It also has to function as intended. I don't want junk that will break in a month of buying.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Many of them are works of art and quite beautiful. I work in a profession where conservative dress is required, and a beautiful timepiece (wrist or pocket) adds interest to sombre attire.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My watch - whichever one I'm wearing - means that I am in charge of knowing what time it is. I don't need to ask, or look elsewhere (my house is filled with clocks) or pull out my phone. I've got the time. And in those brief moments through the years when my wrist has been naked, I've felt a little lost. Soon, my 35 year old Seiko 5 will have a crystal without a crack, and my super durable Vostok will grow scratches, and they'll continue to grow old with me.
Yes, I've got the time...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Beyond the sentimental and all the obvious answers, I also enjoy that it's my "little secret". To 99% of people, it's just a watch. But to me and the other 1% of enthusiast, it's that thing that you could spend hours and hours talking about. It's that rare physical thing that can actually be more than the sum of its parts. It's that ridiculous thing that cost more than any rational person would pay that you display proudly on your wrist, that almost looks the same as the $20 corner store watch when you're standing more than 6 feet away... Also here's my new sbge227 that I just feel like posting... Cause it's a watch forum

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
600 Posts
I have two pocket watches which are meaningful: my father’s which was already 26 years old when presented to him on his graduation in 1952 obviously has sentimental value whilst the other very much older one which which was at some stage acquired as an objet d’art by my grandfather and never worn is more of historical interest. The rest? I have them because I find them appealing and they serve their purpose to tell the time but in truth they’re merely frippery.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I would say it is the memories attached to each watch that is meaningful. I remember when, why, and where I have traveled with my watches.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Anthony Bourdain approached his watch collection as he did his food

I’m fairly new to this hobby. I’ve noticed my tastes in watches are evolving rapidly with time. If I wanted something functional, I’d get a $30 digital Casio Waveceptor. While useful and nice, that’s not what I want.

What does your watch mean to you? What is it’s meaning?
I don't wear rings, earrings, noserings, tattoos or anything else, so my watches are my jewellery. I love them all and if possible I'd take them to the crematorium with me - oh well, not quite.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts