WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have scoured the internet and searched WUS threads but I cannot find a detailed, concrete example of what a Grande Sonnerie is. At this point I think I have a good idea of the general principle but more details would be greatly appreciated. Do many people consider this the most sophisticated complication that exists?

·
Registered
17,054 Posts
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grande_sonnerie
Grande sonnerie (French, meaning 'grand strike') is a complication in a mechanical watch or clock which combines a quarter striking mechanism with a repeater. On the quarter-hour, it strikes the number of hours audibly on a gong, and then the number of quarter-hours since the hour on a second gong. In addition it can strike the hours on demand, at the push of a button. The term is sometimes used erroneously for a mere quarter striking mechanism.

It is more complex than the petite sonnerie, which merely strikes the hours on the hour and the quarter hours on the quarter, with no repeater function.

I think a minute repeater is more complex.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I think maybe the loose usage of the term is what's getting me. I've read that wikipedia article as well as other sources that say it's simply the quarter strike with some type of repeater. I've also found some information that explains it as a mechanism that will strike quarters along with hours and is able to be engaged or disengaged with a push button while ALSO being able to engage a minute repeater on demand. I have faith that there will be at least one member on here that can clear up this nonsense. Lol.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
The answer you got seems pretty clear to me. What other explanation do you need?

Btw, the repeater may be more complicated but I believe a petite sonnerie is more useful. I hear sometimes the gong from the local church and find it useful to remind me the passing time - I could benefit of it on the wrist. However, I had a repeater once (citizen quartz) and used just for playing - in the dark I had the lume on hands anyway. I also find it very difficult to count the time with the quarter hours and added minutes - perhaps a decimal repeater could be more understandable.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
If interested ,there is now an application reproducing a grande sonnerie on Iphones .
It is simply called "grande sonnerie"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts