WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not in the high end of the fountain pen world. The two pens under $100.00 that I have been very happy with are the Lamy Safari and the silver anniversary Levenger True Writer.

·
Banned
7,741 Posts
Pilot Metropolitan is under $20 and amazing. Also check out the Jinhao 450 and 750. They are under $10 and actually pretty good. If you want a gold nib try the Platinum 5000. It’s a 14k gold nib and under $70

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,926 Posts
Nemosene. Picked up recently. Very basic plastic, clear demonstrator, steel stub nib. Mine's 0.6mm, which is still fairly broad. Wet enough to support the line width, quite stable flow. No drying issue after a 2 day park...which isn't real long, but it's a pretty good test.

Still too broad for general use but it's a fun piece.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Almost all of them. The early Generation 1 Sheaffer Cartridge (school pens) were amazing. My Platinum Modern series pens are absolutely fantastic. Caran d'Ache Ecridor steel nibs are superb.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I really like my medium point Lamy 2000 and my Sailor Pro Gear Slim with fine point.

·
Banned
103 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing. I'm not sure what to do

·
Registered
18 Posts
There are a ton of good quality fountain pens for under a 100, and that doubles if you start looking at the used market as well.

Some that are you do not here much of unless in the fountain pen world to look at are some of the Chinese brands. Wing-sung has a piston filler for 20-40 depending upon where you buy it. The the moon pens are a good value as well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
214 Posts
The Lamy 2,000. It's a workhorse, but it feels so very good in the hand due to the material it's made of. It's not the prettiest I've seen but at least it has a more "modern" vibe to it. I actually purchased a second one to use with a different ink.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I picked up a TWSBI Eco-T in fine point, and for $30, it's a solid writer. The nib (SS) is a little scratchy, but that is to be expected. I agree with the poster that spoke of the used market. That is where you find great deals. If you're on Instagram, follow @virtualpenshow It's a marketplace that focuses on private sellers. I've bought and sold several pens that way, including my favorite pen. My Sailor Pro Gear Millecolore.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have tried a lot of awesome pens, but I can honestly say the one that pleasantly surprised me the most is the Platinum Preppy. I can't get over how smooth it is, flows beautifully and the price is what made it a shocker. It really was a "what the heck, why not" purchase. Pop a converter on there and some really nice ink and it's great!

·
Premium Member
6,295 Posts
Sheaffer Ferrari Intensity - paid $30 from $90 - when posted great weight, balance and steel nib writes smoothly and flows perfectly
Im used to very expensive, often rather erratic, vintage and this new thing is a delight :)

Reactions: NRAchad

·
Registered
690 Posts
Platinum Preppy. $2.00 plastic with steel nib fountain pen (like the Pilot Varsity) but it is c/c refillable. Once it gets going it goes good -- smooth with no skips or hard starts. (Though I suspect that at this price there is probably some QC variation.)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Platinum Preppy. $2.00 plastic with steel nib fountain pen (like the Pilot Varsity) but it is c/c refillable. Once it gets going it goes good -- smooth with no skips or hard starts. (Though I suspect that at this price there is probably some QC variation.)
Platinum is really good at QC for the price actually. You’d be surprised. If you don’t like c/c you can eyedropper convert it - look it up on youtube for walkthrough. You can store like 5 or 6 mL of ink that way.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
My least expensive ones. Those with the steel nibs: the new Pilot "Metropolitan" fountain pens, Kaweco "Sport", Parker "Vector", etc. They typically are fast starting, as well as present sharp and consistent line, and smooth writing. You usually have to spend much more to get the opposite of all these benefits.

heb

·
Registered
5 Posts
A few inexpensive pens that I've been very impressed with the quality of: Diplomat Aero (excellent build quality and nib tune) and Platinum 3776.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I am really pleased with my Aurora 888P from the late 1950s. It has a modern Platinum cartridge in it and by using the Platinum adapter for International Standard cartridges have used Diamine and J Herbin cartridges successfully.

Second from top:

the adapter:

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have several nice Pilots and Lamys, but was surprised by how well the TWSBI 580 and Eco write. I prefer M or B nibs generally, but even the TWSBI F nib writes very well. Agree it's a bit scratchy but with time it's smoothed out well. For $25 or so the Eco is a bargain.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Agreed. Both my Eco and Vac 700R are phenomenal writers. I’d also have to mention the Lamy 2000 and Pilot Custom 823 as being superb, even though I’m a Pelikan fanboy through and through.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts