WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
posted a while back that my GWM5630 had a faulty auto EL. even with the TLT mode on the watch didnt seem to "sense" that the watch was being tilted, hence the auto EL would not switch ON

so i brought it back to Tourneau (where i purchased the watch), hoping they would be able to figure out the problem. But they informed me that the watch had to go to Casio so they would be the one to check the problem.

Three weeks passed, I received an email and a phone call that my watch was back from service. Today I went to the service center to pick up the watch, and low and behold, the AUTO EL still does NOT work. They informed me that CASIO replaced some sort of circuit board, and even included a new warranty card with the watch.

Im just trying to figure out how CASIO figured out the problem, and if they even bothered to check the watch before sending it back out to Tourneau??? It was a 80mi drive round trip in rush hour LA traffic, just so I can look at the watch, figure out it doesnt work, then have it sent back out again for repair!?!?!

Safe to say I'm a bit ticked off, and I know its not Tourneau's fault. But omg, what is going on over there at CASIO?!?

·
Registered
106 Posts
That model has the module 3159 I believe, and unfortunately a non or semi-functioning AUTO EL seems to be a common problem with the 3159. I recently had a 5610, same module, with a broken AUTO EL out of the box. I tested it in both total darkness, as well as the 8888 test. Although it was a fine watch in all other regards, the lack of a reliable AUTO EL bothered me. I returned it for a GW-M850 which works perfectly.

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Keep in mind this is a full auto el meaning the light will not come on if there is sufficient amount of light in the room. Put it in a truly dark room let it sit for a good 5 minutes then try again while still in the dark. If a watch have been exposed to bright light it can take up to 5 minutes before the voltage in the solar capacitor goes down enough for the watch to know it is a low light level.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Interesting thought, but I believe the light level is measured at the solar panel and not dependent on the voltage level of the storage capacitor. The threshold is approximately 5 LUX. The AUTO EL should work the moment the light levels reach that level. But YMMV.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry i forgot to mention that i tried being in total darkness, and also tried knocking the watch as posted by other members and NEGATIVE still no AUTO EL... i compared it to other AUTO EL g shocks that i have in relation to light sensitivity and also made sure the watch had a high solar charge, i pretty much tried every scenario i can think of, still nothing :(

which really sucks cus this WAS my favorite square and now its been in service longer than i have had it in my possession, and yes the watch had a bad auto el out of the box

·
Registered
81 Posts
I got a GWM5610 today, my first G Shock, and the auto el was nonfunctional out of the box. After reading lots of posts including yours I tried several firm thumps against the heel of my hand. Didn't help initially, but kept at it in the TILT test mode and I started to get some 8888s on occasion. Don't know if it was a coincidence, but it seemed that the thumps of the top side of the watch (not the face), are the ones that really loosened up the ball. It's been working 90% of the time tonight. I'm hoping with more wear it will loosen up more and be more consistent. I'm not eager to send it back to Amazon. It is too bad that so many are coming out of the box this way.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I got a GWM5610 today, my first G Shock, and the auto el was nonfunctional out of the box. After reading lots of posts including yours I tried several firm thumps against the heel of my hand. Didn't help initially, but kept at it in the TILT test mode and I started to get some 8888s on occasion. Don't know if it was a coincidence, but it seemed that the thumps of the top side of the watch (not the face), are the ones that really loosened up the ball. It's been working 90% of the time tonight. I'm hoping with more wear it will loosen up more and be more consistent. I'm not eager to send it back to Amazon. It is too bad that so many are coming out of the box this way.
You've already found two of the smaller ones, but here's the main, FIFTEEN PAGE thread about the defective "tilt" switch in that model: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/two-gw-m5610-bad-auto-el-964767.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts