WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I first got started with G-Shocks when I was looking for a watch and wanted something solar so I wouldn't have to fuss with batteries. I found G-shocks and then saw all the other great features of them(durability, multiband, etc.) and obviously I just like the look of them! I guess i've stuck with them because: 1) They're a great quality watch with tons of features 2) They're stylish and cool, but durable at the same time so I dont have to worry about them 3) They're affordable compared to almost all other watches out there.

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
I just saw the DW-6900WC (FIFA worldcup model) at a great discount and I bought it to wear in one of my jobs where a durable watch is quite useful. Next was the DW-5600WC which was also very cheap.

cheers, Sedi :)

·
Registered
454 Posts
Ok for me, I had a G Shock back in 2001 when I was due for compulsory millitary service in my country, that was a gift to me by my then GF, then fast forward to 2010 when I got 2 more G Shocks for the fun of it and left it as that. The real wave came during March this year when I accompanied a buddy of mine to buy the DGK G shock, a few days later I bought 2 g shocks at the same store and the buying never stopped till now lol.

·
Registered
511 Posts
my first G is my DW-5025D. I purchased it at MACY*s when my titanium Swiss Army watch died on me. I needed a tool watch and something I could beat up on. didn't realized what I bought to use for work until a few years later.

yes I still have it. but it spends most it's time in my watch box now. semi retired from its duties.

I use my GW-9110 for work now.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I shared this briefly before in an un-boxing thread I created, but just to share it again, it was the fault of a Diesel watch DZ-4243. I have a few watches here and there as gifts and all, never really bothered much about watches. But after I got that watch in NYC, it somehow sparkled my interest in watches. And then I read up more about watches, stumbled upon this forum, reignited my interest in Gs (had my first when I was 12), and the rest they say, is history. =)

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
Saw a DW-6600 at my local Radio Shack -- gotta be close to 20 years ago. Thought it looked cool as well as durable as hell. I was right on both counts! I just kind of went from there.

·
Registered
956 Posts
My first encounter with G is during my youth day during 1991 when I saw the big, bulky tuna can DW-5600C with gold LCD at hometown watch shop but unable to get it one due hefty price at that time. Fast forward to 2005, finally get my very first G, the GL-160 transparent blue strap at MYR 199.00 is a hard to resist deal. Finally during surfing online one day in 2008, discover WUS sites and the rest is history, proud owner of near 50+ G's to date.

cheers.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I got into G's after I was tired of using my Edifice for running, particularly after sun down, to check my run times. I figured a decent digital watch would work well and I knew Casio's made them. Not to mention my experience with the Casio I had back in elementary school and my buddy's Protrek helped me solidify my choice. So I came to this forum to read up on what Casio had to offer. Initially I planned on getting a Protrek, probably still will considering the prw-3000 is out now, but after finding no Protreks with Multiband 6 and with that freaking GW-9300GY calling out to me, I ditched the plan for a Protrek and waited until finally I procured a 9300GY. The rest is history.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
In 2011 I got really obsessed with DW-5500c, not sure why or how... don't remember how it started.

Then in 2012 I finally found G-5500TS, closest looking thing to dw-5500c and then the rest of them just kinda followed :)

·
Registered
Unabashed Casio G-Shock fanboy
8,356 Posts
I went the reverse route: bought the GW-5000-1JF on a whim after spotting it in a recommendation thread in the public forum. My reason? I thought it looked 80's retro cool. I had never owned a G-shock before, and I thought this model stood out among the recent larger and bolder pieces.

I gradually grew to like the watch for its dependability and durability, found the screwback design and supple strap comfortable on the wrist, sparking a slight obsession with square G-shocks. My collection has grown to four squares, which includes the venerable DW-5600e. I still find this a little funny because a few months ago I would have never batted an eye at a G-shock, especially since I was bent on finding the ideal mechanical as a daily wear watch. Now that watch happens to be a square digital watch.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Short answer: it came down to price and durability/functionality for me. You simply cannot find a good looking, highly durable, supremely water resistant watch with a stopwatch for less money, especially not one with solar charging and atomic syncing. I believe I have the best value in all of the watch industry strapped to my wrist.

Extremely Long answer (if you're interested): You really have to understand my entire watch history. I got my first watch as a birthday present when I was about 5 (1979). It was a digital Star Wars themed watch, very cheap. But of course, I loved it. I don't remember exactly how it happened, but it stopped working for some reason not too long after I got it. As a little shaver, I took it apart on my own. My mother saw me with watch parts all over the place and was horrified. I put it back together and it was working again. So began my long love affair with watches. As I got older, I had other watches, including a couple of Casio databank and calculator watches (I should get one of those classics again). In high school, I had some more fashionable watches including a Guess skeleton watch, a couple of Fossils, and I even had that Fossil sundial! I loved watches, and always wore one. I felt naked without a watch (still do).

Then, in 1992 when I graduated high school, I received a graduation present from my uncle (who was well aware of my love for watches): a Tag-Heuer Pilot watch. It was an analog quartz watch with a stopwatch and a calculator bezel, white face with blue subdials, sapphire crystal. It was bigger, heavier, and vastly more expensive than anything I'd ever worn. It was totally appropriate for my planned career in the US Air Force. I loved that watch dearly. It was my daily wearer for about 20 years, no kidding. I didn't buy other watches during that time because I was so incredibly satisfied with that watch. I was wearing it when I graduated college. I was wearing it when I was commissioned as an officer. I was wearing it when I got married. I was wearing it when both of my daughters were born. Through several moves, a master's degree, my departure from the Air Force and a few different jobs since then, I always had that watch on my wrist.

Last year, the unthinkable happened. It stopped when I was on vacation. That's the thing about batteries, you never know when it's going to stop. I kept wearing it even though it was stopped until we got home. I took it to the mall to get the battery changed, thinking that was probably what was wrong as had been in the past. Well, new battery inserted, and it didn't start up again. I was crushed, felt like I had the wind knocked out of me. I knew I couldn't afford to replace it. I found a place that could service it, and possibly replace the movement if necessary. While I was waiting for it to be fixed, I had to have something, so I bought a Citizen Eco-drive (BM8475-26E) that I still have--it's nice, accurate, and looks good, but it doesn't have a stopwatch, and isn't all that durable, though I'm sure it will last a long time. Once my Tag was fixed, I started to think about its value, and I got nervous about the fact that it was still worth a few dollars, but with its age, I didn't want to keep sinking service costs into it. So I decided to sell my beloved Tag. That was probably a mistake, but I really felt like it had served me well, and it was time to pass it on to a collector. I got a decent amount for it, and then it was time to figure out what to buy to replace it. I found this site, and quickly became enamored with mechanical movements. I ended up buying an Oris Diver Date. It didn't have a stopwatch, but the diver bezel is really almost as useful, and I loved that watch too (if you like heavy watches and you've never worn an Oris bracelet, you really are missing something).

Then earlier this year, our financial situation became tense, and it was difficult for me to say no to my wife and family when they needed things, and yet I had this expensive hunk of metal on my wrist. So, although I really loved it, I sold it. I went for a while with just the Citizen, but I just couldn't be satisfied in the same way. Wearing it daily I really realized its shortcomings. Its big mineral crystal is good, but it is impossible not to get it scratched. And I really missed stopwatch or dive bezel functionality. So I looked a lot at affordable divers. I still think a Seiko 007 or black monster is in my future. But durability of those worry me a bit. I read a story in the Seiko forum about someone with a black monster chopping wood and that shock causing his black monster to stop. It was kind of a fluke, and it wasn't hard or expensive to fix, but between the mineral crystals and the potential shock concerns, I was reluctant to plunk down $200 on it. I know they would last, but they wouldn't look good after a while of being subjected to my daily use. And although I love the idea of mechanical movements, the accuracy really bothered me. As an engineer, knowing there are fundamentally more accurate designs available for a fraction of the cost, it's hard to live with.

And then I started to look at G-Shocks. At first, the look turned me off because it struck me as bluster. I was also initially turned off by digital (though my first watch and several subsequent were digital). And then I saw some videos about the design of G-Shocks and how durable they are, and the reason why the resin looks the way it does, and I started to see the beauty of the look. And then I realized how much functionality is enabled by a digital display. And then I saw how much functionality I could get for the price. I got all the functionality I ever wanted in a watch, in an extremely robust package, for less than $100. The knowledge that I'm not going to scratch the crystal if I bang my arm on a rock in the yard is wonderfully freeing. The knowledge that it is always going to be the correct time with no effort on my part makes me feel that I can trust it deeply. This is a truly dependable machine, in every way that it possibly could be, and it can always go wherever I go, and do whatever I do.

But there are so many other wonderful, robust packages to choose from! And at these prices, I'll certainly end up with a few more. But for now, I am quite satisfied with my GW-6900, and remain convinced that it is for me the best choice I could have possibly made. Now that I am aware of G-Shocks, I'll find it quite difficult to spend money on any other type of watch.

·
Registered
Unabashed Casio G-Shock fanboy
8,356 Posts
But there are so many other wonderful, robust packages to choose from! And at these prices, I'll certainly end up with a few more. But for now, I am quite satisfied with my GW-6900, and remain convinced that it is for me the best choice I could have possibly made. Now that I am aware of G-Shocks, I'll find it quite difficult to spend money on any other type of watch.
I agree with you. Until I got my first G-shock, I had been on the hunt for a higher "tier" watch, an Omega Seamaster ceramic perhaps. Now, I'm not so keen on getting it when I'm wearing a G-shock more often than my mechanicals. Not worrying about banging it and somehow reducing its accuracy is a big draw for me. The G also keeps my mechs in line due to its atomic accuracy.

Reactions: jbg7474

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
About seven or so years ago, my (black) Sinn 142 broke and I wasn't willing to pay the high cash for repairs, so I started looking for a black, cheap alternative. The G-100 was the only watch back then which was to my liking and budget friendly, and after that the insanity started...

cheers

·
Registered
544 Posts
My dad retired from the Air Force, but my parents still go shopping on base from time to time. He saw the GW500A a little while ago in the BX and decided to pick one up. They saw how much I liked it (I was wearing Vannens at the time) and offered to pick one up for me, and just to pick out the one I liked best. Of course I had no idea how many types there were, but decided upon the GWM500a, to match my dad's GW500a, and fell in love with it.

Of course in the process of learning about all of the different types of G's, I learned there were a lot of G's I really like. I am up to nine of them now, and I just got into them earlier this year. Yikes! In either case, coming here and reading up led to quite a few purchases. :)

Of course the five Vannens are lining the bottom of a drawer now. They fog up if the temp goes above 80 degrees and scratch if you look at them funny. I still have my two Swatches in the rotation, but they seldom get worn anymore because they look so tiny on my wrist. I got used to meatier watches!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts