1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
241 Posts
I saw an interview recently with Mr. Parmagiani himself wherein he stated that they don't yet have the ability to produce it small enough to fit in a watch. I'm not sure I understand that though, given that they have already released a concept/prototype that includes this new mechanism.

I'm waiting with anticipation as well, not because I can afford one when they make it to market, but because the watch industry is in sore need of some fresh innovation IMHO.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
My guess, it is too hard on the eyes - you might get a headache if you look at these high frequency vibrations for too long. Nowadays watches are jewelry, with traditionally made beautiful movements to be admired. From the point of view of haute horologerie developing such a modern solution does not make much sense. The solution could perhaps be more successful for a mass producer like Swatch.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Economics, most likely? At some point someone will introduce something that's completely different and has a long power reserve. But the aesthetics have to count, of course.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the update; I wasn't aware it wouldn't fit either... but I'm sure with 3D printing and the innovations we have now that it may definitely change in the future. Totally agree some new innovations vs just changes in aesthetics or appealing to the "vintage" looks is definitely needed in the industry. Funny to see my topic pop up 7 months later, but glad you all are pitching in some info!

I saw an interview recently with Mr. Parmagiani himself wherein he stated that they don't yet have the ability to produce it small enough to fit in a watch. I'm not sure I understand that though, given that they have already released a concept/prototype that includes this new mechanism.

I'm waiting with anticipation as well, not because I can afford one when they make it to market, but because the watch industry is in sore need of some fresh innovation IMHO.

·
Premium Member
9,581 Posts
Genequand may have been dropped. The Senfine movement trumps it...with a 70 day PR.
https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/t...-an-amazing-escapement-that-allows-a-70-day-p

Those said, the history of the co-axial escapement may also be illustrative. It was patented by Daniels in 1980, but IIRC was considered fairly hard to produce. Only Omega took him up, and I believe they had some technical issues with the early calibers. Their first release was 1999. Genequand and Senfine are only a couple years into development.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts