WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All quartz watches have reasonable accuracy, especially when compared to their mechanical brethren (of course, discounting various highly expensive movements that seek to bridge the gap, like Spring Drive and Tourbillon). In CASIO's G-Shock world, we are promised a certain range of accuracy "out of the box" at +/- 15 seconds per month. Curiously enough, all of the CASIO watches I've bought save for just 1 (which is an SGW-300) gain some seconds per month, not lose. Some are better than others.

I have read a few testimonies on WUS stating how one watch model or another was insanely accurate, like drifting barely +0.5 sec/mo or having shown just +1.5 sec drift after 5 months of sitting in a drawer. Pretty amazing.

For me, there's one watch that did something I've never seen before. I synchronized it and then checked on it periodically, seeing barely any deviation, and then at the 1 month mark double-checked to find it DEAD-ON accurate. It's a G-2900. I've never had a G-Shock that accurate before. Even the ones I've time adjusted the best will gain or lose about 1-2 seconds per month. So, I'm of course hoping that this G-2900 may exhibit a little better thermal resistance than my other watches and keep on being accurate, but I'm not going to be upset if it doesn't. That's the innate problem with basic quartz movements--they will fluctuate in their rate of time drift. Most vintage G-Shock watches exhibit a notable gain in time per month, due to aging of the quartz crystal.

So... what's your most accurate G-Shock and how long has it been keeping great time?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I bought my son a G-Shock Mini last Christmas (actually, I've now bought him three of them. When I know I've pushed it with my wife in how many watches I've bought, I know she will relent when I want to buy the boy one). Anyway, I digress, a few days back I checked the accuracy with my just synced Rangeman and it was running 1 second fast. It is at least six months since I've bothered checking it, especially as he has insisted wearing either of the other colours so the original black one has just sat on his shelf until recently. I was most impressed, not sure any of mine have that kind of accuracy without a sync.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
My made in China DW5600E I bought at walmart about 16 months ago has stayed consistent at +2 seconds a month. My DW6600 I bought in the mid 90's had over time gotten up to about +32 seconds a month so a few months ago I adjusted the trimmer screw until I got it down to +4 seconds a month and it has been consistent since. Most of my other non-atomic G's are around +10 or 12 which is good enough for me. All my G's gain seconds while my timex's all lose seconds per month.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have a 4 month old dw 6900 that runs +4 secs a month, best G accuracy i have personally seen. my "atomics", without syncing can't come anywhere close to that.

·
Registered
19,217 Posts
My GW-9200 is so accurate that I don't need the atomic sync, I usually reset it once a year.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Even without atomic sync on, my GW5000 gains +0.5 to +1 second a week. This is with approx. 4 days of wear in a week, and temperature variation of -1 to +15 celsius. With atomic sync on, it's accurate down to the millisecond. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts