WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Sometimes I receive a compliment on one of my watches and am asked if it is a Rolex. When I tell them no, often times the person loses interest...

Reactions: Zarath

·
Banned
3,147 Posts
To add further to this thread:

I often catch people at work staring at (any) of my watches. I see people cock their heads to the side to try and look at it. I've also received countless compliments. I'm flattered by most honest compliments somewhat; (usually it's just, "nice watch!") but I don't like uncomfortable staring or stupid questions like: "Whoa bro is that a Rolex?" or "Hey dude, nice watch...Fossil?". I have directed a couple people who were non-WIS to WUS so that they could learn about watches because they asked about my watches; (specifically there is one guy who is a total WIS noob at work and he expressed heavy interest in my MKII so I referred him to WUS). Probably my favorite compliments are from women who just say: "Nice watch." or "Nice watch, was that a gift?" Because it just shows honest appreciation. I definitely don't like solicitation from people wanting to know what it (the watch) is though. I have gone so far as to explain to total non-watch people what an auto movement is, and to my pleasant surprise, a few of them knew what an auto movement was. I had a chuckle to myself after that.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I had a similarish experience lately. I was at dinner with friends, and I was wearing my MUT Moon. It was a group of about fifteen of us, and out of the four or five guys, only me and another friend were wearing watches. Well, anyways, one of the girls noticed my friend's watch, who was wearing a nice, 37mm rose gold plated Bulova. It is a newer quartz model that they have.

spacer.gif
A very nice watch by any standard aesthetically. Everyone ooed and awed about the Bulova. Then they told me that I should get something that looked more like that :(.

Poor MUT Moon only gets noticed on the interwebz.

·
Banned
4,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
I had a similarish experience lately. I was at dinner with friends, and I was wearing my MUT Moon. It was a group of about fifteen of us, and out of the four or five guys, only me and another friend were wearing watches. Well, anyways, one of the girls noticed my friend's watch, who was wearing a nice, 37mm rose gold plated Bulova. It is a newer quartz model that they have.

View attachment 1139337
A very nice watch by any standard aesthetically. Everyone ooed and awed about the Bulova. Then they told me that I should get something that looked more like that :(.

Poor MUT Moon only gets noticed on the interwebz.
Extra ouch. And there is no way to "Educate" them on the subject without acting snobby. You did the right thing by what I assuming was smiling and holding your tongue. Painful as it might be to keep quiet, that is class.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Extra ouch. And there is no way to "Educate" them on the subject without acting snobby. You did the right thing by what I assuming was smiling and holding your tongue. Painful as it might be to keep quiet, that is class.
Oh but of course. I asked him where he got it (funny enough, I actually own that Bulova, and I wear it quite frequently on a Nato), and told him it was nice. Nobody likes a show off!

61 - 66 of 66 Posts