WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share what i did for my G-7300D with the screw grooves ripped due to over-tightening o|

Was fiddling around to see if I can inverse the display (JUST FOR THE HELL OF IT ;-)) and when I was screwing the caseback, i got over-zealous and ripped out the thread of the plastic case... became a bloody cylindrical groove o|

This really was a bummer as this was my beater swimming G... took me a week to figure out a plan to salvage the 'crisis' :-|

anyway, long-story-short, i removed the back, applied some super glue into what's now a cylindrical groove using a toothpick (last thing i need is to get super glue all over the case) and let it set till it's firm but not fully set.

Put the caseback on and carefully screwed into the firm super glue. Let it set for 30 mins and tried screwing in some more... by now, it quite firm.

I guess it's quite a permanent solution... the G-7300 is solar so no need for immediate battery change. I'm sure I can unscrew it later if necessary but at least, I'm confident to use it as my beater in the water b-)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Just wanted to share what i did for my G-7300D with the screw grooves ripped due to over-tightening o|
Funny, I did the same with my ProTrek a few months ago. I didn't have the courage to take the watch to the shower since then, though...

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great tip Sammy, let us know how it goes after a test-dive.
Actually, did go for couple of laps in the pool... no fogging yet so I guess it works. It should not be a problem as the screw really does dig into the super glue which has bonded well with the plastic shell (both are polymer-based after all)...

In fact, I got the idea from loctite which I'd used before to get a good seal & lock when fastening parts.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hmm, my ProTrek has the same problem. NEVER EVER a plastic casing!!
But unfortunately its a battery powered watch, so I do not know what to do now! Any help?

·
Registered
289 Posts
You can also make the holes larger still (if there's room) and fill with epoxy and put the screw in place with a (light coating of oil, wax or hairspray) before it sets up. Leave it in place while it sets, then wash really well. The screws should work like usual then, but be at least as strong as they were before.

The big thing when re-using screws in plastic is to make SURE that the threads are aligned properly before you start tightening. This is best done by turning backwards slightly until you feel the screw drop into the right spot, then tighten carefully.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
CA glue (AKA Krazy Glue, Super Glue) works great for stripped out plastic threads. The screw is still easily removable afterwards, since the CA will not stick well to the steel screw. It just recreates the threads. The only downside is that you'll probably need to re-glue the screw every time you change the battery.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Can't you get a larger-diameter screw and just put that in? I guess you might have to drill a bigger hole in the caseback first.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can also make the holes larger still (if there's room) and fill with epoxy and put the screw in place with a (light coating of oil, wax or hairspray) before it sets up. Leave it in place while it sets, then wash really well. The screws should work like usual then, but be at least as strong as they were before.
Did think of using epoxy but given it's much more viscous, i though higher chance of mucking it up.

The big thing when re-using screws in plastic is to make SURE that the threads are aligned properly before you start tightening. This is best done by turning backwards slightly until you feel the screw drop into the right spot, then tighten carefully.
This is a good tip indeed... kinda like what I do for my camera lens filters... makes good sense :-!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CA glue (AKA Krazy Glue, Super Glue) works great for stripped out plastic threads. The screw is still easily removable afterwards, since the CA will not stick well to the steel screw. It just recreates the threads. The only downside is that you'll probably need to re-glue the screw every time you change the battery.
my thoughts exactly |> re-creating threads much better than a non-water resistant G ;-)

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Can't you get a larger-diameter screw and just put that in? I guess you might have to drill a bigger hole in the caseback first.
I seem to remember that being suggested before, using screws salvaged from a broken Nokia. I'm not 100% sure if they just work as replacement screws, or if they're slightly wider for stripped threads. Anyone remember? :think:

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
This is a good tip indeed... kinda like what I do for my camera lens filters... makes good sense :-!
A useful tip for screw-down crowns too.

·
Registered
554 Posts
here's what I would do....

get some nylon cable ties. Use the sharpest knife you have (I use a surgical scalpel with a new blade). Cut thin slivers of the nylon. Push them (1 may be enough) down into the hole then trim off level. When you put the screw in it is good as new if you sized the nylon right. I think it is very similar in strength to the base plastic also it is soft enough to grip the inside of the hole but unlike glue it doesn't work it's way back out when you tighten it...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts