WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have played watch "catch and release" for a number of years -- esp. the last few after discovering WUS.
I have recently reduced what I own to four watches and I couldn't be happier. It's true -- and I think I've let my new rotation sink in long enough to actually know this is "it."

Hamilton H70515137 42mm Khaki Field Auto
Seiko ‘Spirit’ SCVS003
Victorinox Swiss Army 241173 Dive Master 500m
Casio G-Shock #DW5600E-1V – adapted to a black 24mm ZULU strap

The pieces are basic, versatile, and reliable.

Starting from the bottom and working clockwise are worn in increasingly dirty/dangerous environments (for the watch, that is). In other words, "from mess, to dress." The Hamilton is my main daily wearer...and the Seiko comes out on the day or two/week I decide to wear a tie to work. My Victorinox is my main "jeans/shorts" watch or for when I want extra water or shock resistance (such as when golfing, swimming, etc.). The G-Shock is for getting really dirty/water sports/etc. Two autos; two quartz.

Here's to a simpler New Year!

Some size comparisons:

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I give "it" six months before you're back in the hunt. :-d

Reactions: warriorsociologist

·
Registered
289 Posts
Good for you. I'm in the process of downsizing as well, after cresting the dozen mark (and beyond) this past year. Current plan is to get down to 3-4 in the "regular rotation" over the course of the next few months. I sold off most of my collection over the last few months, no remorse.

Seems that more is better for some, but for me, more just feels like excess. Not a judgment, merely an observation. I needed to cycle through a lot of watches to figure out what works for me, but now that I have, I'm ready to get down to a small handful that each serve their role perfectly and be set for a bit. I don't think that this hobby requires quantity in order to enjoy it.

So anyway, in the face of what will likely be a lot of "heard that before" and "yeah, right!" comments, I'll just chime in with an attaboy and congratulate you on finding what works for you.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I had as many as 5 watches in my collection at one point, but I realized a while ago that I don't ever take off a watch (except for surgery - literally) so having watches sitting on a winder just didn't make sense to me. Now I just have the one watch and a back-up Casio for those days when I can expect to get really dirty or in a situation where I'll probably bang-up my watch.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I had as many as 5 watches in my collection at one point, but I realized a while ago that I don't ever take off a watch (except for surgery - literally) so having watches sitting on a winder just didn't make sense to me. Now I just have the one watch and a back-up Casio for those days when I can expect to get really dirty or in a situation where I'll probably bang-up my watch.
If I didn't already own my Victorinox and like it so much, I'd be down to three instead of four.

I like having a beater (G-shock) in addition to my "every-day" watch. Even the dress watch is somewhat "extra," but I think the Arabic markers on the Hamilton make it too casual for a suit (at least for me) and I have enough occasion to make the "dressier" Seiko practical.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I fully agree with TS.

I trimmed from 8 to 3 this year. Can't be any more happy, since I can truly rotate the watches that I wear in a week. Couple with different straps, I can transform the watch appearance in minutes to suit my mood and dressing for the day.

Though there will be an incoming by this year, I am fairly sure that a "magic" trio or a "fantastic" four would be manageable.

Of course, I will have gshock, GPS and heart monitor watch to meet my sport demands.

Good choice for you!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
There's no way that I could just have 4 watches. I'm up to about 35 right now. But, depending on what I'm doing for the day, I will wear up to four watches a day. And only one at a time, lol! Although one day I went to work with two watches on by accident.

Edit: I do realize and respect that some people my not be able to have a bunch of watches. And the ones that the OP has are really nice.

·
Premium Member
Something ordinary
17,635 Posts
There's no way that I could just have 4 watches. I'm up to about 35 right now. But, depending on what I'm doing for the day, I will wear up to four watches a day. And only one at a time, lol! Although one day I went to work with two watches on by accident.
Do you come home at lunch to change watches?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Congrats on striking a great balance in your rotation. You certainly have a great combination of watches that meet all your needs and make you happy. That's a great place to be.

I believe as I mature into this hobby, I'll strike a good balance, but I have to admit the allure can be quite compelling at times. I'm still at a point where I get a rush every time I add another watch to the family. They certainly don't all get the equal wrist time they deserve, but it often feels like I'm wearing a new watch every time a slightly neglected piece makes it back on the wrist...then I'm smiling all day long again. Eventually, once that watch gets too comfortable, I feel like a change is in order.

Regardless, you've given me hope that I will eventually bring some harmony to my watch wearing habits.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Do you come home at lunch to change watches?
No, I train horses, so I have a beater watch just for that. I wear one of my watches in my office, whichever one I feel like wearing. I have a particular watch that I wear to the gym. Then, I have one particular watch that I sleep with. I mean, wear will I sleep. Sleep with would be a little weird. Sometimes I substitute the gym for a mountain bike ride, and I have one particular watch for that. That's a typical work day watch wearing scenario. And sometimes after all that, I may run an errand or get something to eat and change my watch for that. Then there's the weekends. That's a whole new story. Doing stuff around the house, more errand running and nights out on the town. I always have a watch on, except when I take a shower. I used to wear a watch in the shower, till I found out how bad it is for the watch. And, if I'm in a certain mood and I can change watches, I will. I know, it's a sickness!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
...if I'm in a certain mood and I can change watches, I will. I know, it's a sickness!
:) Sounds like a lovely routine! Maybe if I weren’t also a fan of traditional pocket knives, tobacco pipes, firearms, fishing gear, wet shaving…(the list goes on), I’d dedicate more funds to telling time. I “feel naked” without a watch, but I am more apt to choose a different pipe to fit my mood.

·
Banned
2,649 Posts
I've realized I'm a terrible collector of watches (or anything really). I can't handle more than five watches and ultimately I want no more than three. I'm a bit OCD, I love collecting things but if they go unused too often I have to gift them or sell them, it drives me nuts having too many things. I can honestly say as a 36 year old man I own very little, I live fairly spartan and I like it that way.

I wish I could own a lot of things and take enjoyment in the hobby from that perspective but I can't.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've realized I'm a terrible collector of watches (or anything really). I can't handle more than five watches and ultimately I want no more than three. I'm a bit OCD, I love collecting things but if they go unused too often I have to gift them or sell them, it drives me nuts having too many things. I can honestly say as a 36 year old man I own very little, I live fairly spartan and I like it that way.

I wish I could own a lot of things and take enjoyment in the hobby from that perspective but I can't.
Sounds to me like you have the right idea!

·
Registered
3,109 Posts

I'm like you but a bit older. You my brother from another mother? :-D

Seriously. I go through the same want/don't want ambivalence every time I see a new watch that looks cool.

I've known two people with huge watch collections. Both liquidated at a loss to help their house down payment or to fund their children. I KNOW that's what I'd do, so I'm keeping it to what I have now, with the occasional cheap beater or whatever when my magpie spirit animal gets the best of me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts