WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What if Swatch were to move ETA into to being a full on watch brand? Instantly there would be a new manufacture watch maker who produces/produced movements that are a well known, trusted and respected commodity. I can just hear the marketing lines:
  • Buy ETA, the watch so good that X% of all the watches you've ever heard of use our movements.
  • ETA, the power behind [insert your uppity brand name of choice] for over X years, now offers its own line of watches. Introducing the ETA XYZ model.
  • ETA, the watch for people who prefer substance to status. (veiled images of competing brands coming and going in the TV ads. Or of several brands stationary in print ads.O
Would you buy one? What would become your opinion of all the brands that have ETA inside if that were to happen? What would happen to the brands who use ETA inside?

Thoughts welcomed. I have my own that I'll share when I have more time. (You know me, no short posts. LOL)

All the best.

Reactions: drhr

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I would continue doing exactly as I have thus far, buying watches that appeal to me for one reason or another that fall within my range of affordability. If ETA put out something I considered worth the money, I would put it on my list. My opinion of brands using ETA wouldn't change. What would happen to these brands, I couldn't say.

Reactions: tony20009

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Swatch would probably rebrand it like Lemania into Manufacture de Haute Horlogerie Breguet.
I'm not entirely sure just what you mean. Are you suggesting they would dilute the image and products of some other grand, storied brand? Are you suggesting you think they would improve the products of some other grand, storied brand? Or are you taking exception with the fact that Lemania were already making some movements for Breguet even prior to the Swatch acquisition of both organizations?

I'm uncertain because I don't really see a problem with Swatch designating Lemania as the maker of Breguet movements, or at least some of them, especially if Lemania has a more efficient process than do/did Breguet for cranking out the movements needed for the more basic and lower priced offerings. That sounds like a good business decision to me. I hardly would like to see a company like Breguet go belly-up, so if that what it takes to keep them afloat, so be it.

All the best.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I'm not entirely sure just what you mean. Are you suggesting they would dilute the image and products of some other grand, storied brand? Are you suggesting you think they would improve the products of some other grand, storied brand? Or are you taking exception with the fact that Lemania were already making some movements for Breguet even prior to the Swatch acquisition of both organizations?

I'm uncertain because I don't really see a problem with Swatch designating Lemania as the maker of Breguet movements, or at least some of them, especially if Lemania has a more efficient process than do/did Breguet for cranking out the movements needed for the more basic and lower priced offerings. That sounds like a good business decision to me. I hardly would like to see a company like Breguet go belly-up, so if that what it takes to keep them afloat, so be it.

All the best.
It is a sound business decision, Richemont did something similar with Montblanc and Minerva. What I am suggesting is that if Swatch were to make ETA into a full watch brand, marketing would not be centered on the history or provenance of ETA (especially since Eterna is not part of the group) but that of the zombie brand the group chose to pair with ETA. How this pairing will affect the "new" brand will depend on where in the hierarchy Swatch places it and how public perception of the brand is crafted but ETA as a brand would cease to exist.

·
Registered
346 Posts
If they want to up ETA's image, perhaps a better intiative would be to add an "ETA inside" engraving to watches that have their movements. They can start with the Swatch brands. Perhaps perceptio can be moved from "mere" commodity movement to something desired for proven quality and reliability.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I'd not buy one. I already have an ETA movement in a piece.

The name on the dial means a lot less to me than the name on the movement.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
You can find watches with ETA dials.....But they are not supposed to sell them, but they do turn up on
E-Bay. What are they, you ask? ETA furnishes complete watch kits to watch schools for students to practice on.
These kits include dials marked ETA.......Ipso Facto...They exist.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts