WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's a picture of my collection as it currently stands. Apologies up front about the photo...it's certainly not meant to show these in their best light but was just a quick and easy way to have them all together. From left to right you have:

Victorinox Infantry Mechanical
Hamilton Khaki Field Auto
Tissot Le Locle
Kemmner Tonneau
Seiko 5 Sports SNZG21K1
Vostok Auto Amphibian
Roamer Military
Raketa 2614H
Orient ER21002B

IMG_2257.JPG

For some reason, I asked myself the question...if you could keep just one of these watches, which one would it be? When I thought about it long and hard (well not for that long, nor that hard if truth be told, but you know what I mean), I was a little surprised by my answer. If it came to just one, I'd probably keep the Seiko. For me, it's the best all-rounder there and unlike every other watch in the collection, there's pretty much nothing about it I'd change.

Anyway, I thought it might be interesting to pose the question to others, both in relation to my collection and in relation to your own...if you had to choose just one, which one would it be?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Think I'd be torn between the Victorinox, the Hammy and the Kemmner. Probably the Hamilton would win... probably. Different story if the Kemmner had been a blue dial, though.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I'm sure you'll get nine different answers but I'd keep the Roamer (shame about the crown guards). I want to like the Victorinox but a polished case on a military styled watch is just wrong (no offence). Can see your point re the Seiko though.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Either the Hamilton or victorinox. They're sporty enough for the weekends and formal enough for work days

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sure you'll get nine different answers but I'd keep the Roamer (shame about the crown guards). I want to like the Victorinox but a polished case on a military styled watch is just wrong (no offence). Can see your point re the Seiko though.
I agree about the crown guards on the Roamer. They make it very difficult to wind...plus I don't like the look of crown guards at the best of times.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
I'd keep the Hamilton.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'll play.

Probably the Victornix, but it is a close call. The Hamilton is a great contender, but if I was to have only one watch. It must be dark dial. Also the Seiko is up for consideration, but 'gunmetal' finish for my only watch it will not work for me. Then we are left with the Victornic. I can understand the argument against polished bezel, but Im confident that it will be not that prominent inreal life as we see in the picture.

·
Banned
7,741 Posts
I'd choose the Hammy followed closely by the Kemmner

·
Registered
728 Posts
I'll also play. If I had to keep one I'd go by elimination. IMO:

1. Date is useful, Roamer is out.
2. The most universal watches are pieces with black or white/silver dials, so Hamilton is out.
3. The round case shape seems more versatile, Kemmner is out.
4. Black coating would eventually fade and could look bad, Orient is out.
5. Too dressy (Tissot) or too sporty (Vostok) limits the choices, these two are out.
6. Lume comes useful at times, Raketa is out.
7. Do I really need busy dial and 13-24 hour indicators? Seiko is out.

This leaves Victorinox, but I could live with only Seiko aswell ;).

PS. I believe not all these watches have good water resistance level, so one of the steps would be eliminating everything with less than 100m WR.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Hamilton. Spans toolish to dressy well. Usually not a fan of date window next to the 3, but here it works ok. Victorinox has freakishly wide lugs, making it far less elegant, despite the high gloss bezel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
188 Posts
Easy choice for me, the Hamilton.
Now picking a 2nd place, that's a lot harder.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Another vote for the Hamilton or Victorinox. I prefer the looks of the Hamilton, but the Victorinox will be easier to read. If this was to choose one watch as a daily wear piece for an extended time, I'd go for the Victorinox for the readability, but if I was starting over and was going to get more watches, it would be the Hamilton.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts