WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Ω Omega Seamaster Professional Co Axial GMT
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

This question has been bugging me recently, and even though there are many resources online, everyone's definition of what a true GMT watch should have is subjective. For instance, what makes a Rolex GMT Master better than a GMT with a modified ETA movement? All thoughts are appreciated.

Cheers,
Ryan

·
Registered
551 Posts
I think that most of the time this is brought up, people talk about the ability to independently set the hour hand instead of the GMT hand.

Since a GMT watch is thought of as a "traveler's watch", the GMT hand should be set to home time or whatever other permanent reference time (i.e. GMT), and you should be able to quick set the hour hand as you travel to different time zones.

I believe only Rolex and now Omega make movements where the hour hand is independent, but I could be wrong about that.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Hi folks,

This question has been bugging me recently, and even though there are many resources online, everyone's definition of what a true GMT watch should have is subjective. For instance, what makes a Rolex GMT Master better than a GMT with a modified ETA movement? All thoughts are appreciated.

Cheers,
Ryan
All i know is, the "false" GMT method involves painting a false GMT hand on the dial :)

The original GMT has a slaved non-adjustable 24h hand and a smoothly rotating bezel. It could handle 30-min timezones whereas today's improvements cannot. Funny!

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
I think that most of the time this is brought up, people talk about the ability to independently set the hour hand instead of the GMT hand.

Since a GMT watch is thought of as a "traveler's watch", the GMT hand should be set to home time or whatever other permanent reference time (i.e. GMT), and you should be able to quick set the hour hand as you travel to different time zones.

I believe only Rolex and now Omega make movements where the hour hand is independent, but I could be wrong about that.
Many do. Oris, Breitling, IWC, Panerai, JLC, Alpina...

·
Registered
Ω Omega Seamaster Professional Co Axial GMT
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many do. Oris, Breitling, IWC, Panerai, JLC, Alpina...
Interesting you say Breitling. I'm looking at acquiring the avenger 2 gmt and it doesn't have a jumping 12 hour hand, only the GMT hand does this. Maybe it's because of the modified ETA. I'm assuming the Breitlings you're referring to are the in-house Chronomats or Navitimers.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
The closest true GMT is the Gavox Aurora... which can jump in either hour or 15 minute increments. 20% of the world's population live in time zones that are not synced on an hourly basis vs. GMT, rather 15 or 30 minutes off (mainly in Asia). But even this watch has it's foibles... when crossing over midnight with a jumping hour hand the date does not change.. the date adjustment is separate.

In summary, a true GMT does not actually exist... but I continue my pursuit.

·
Premium Member
22,560 Posts
The closest true GMT is the Gavox Aurora... which can jump in either hour or 15 minute increments. 20% of the world's population live in time zones that are not synced on an hourly basis vs. GMT, rather 15 or 30 minutes off (mainly in Asia). But even this watch has it's foibles... when crossing over midnight with a jumping hour hand the date does not change.. the date adjustment is separate.

In summary, a true GMT does not actually exist... but I continue my pursuit.

Do the hour and minute hands move in 15 minute increments?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Rather pricey, but take a look at the GO Senator Cosmopolite.

02_Senator_Cosmopolite_2015.jpg

·
Premium Member
22,560 Posts

·
Registered
36,302 Posts

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Do the hour and minute hands move in 15 minute increments?
To change local time, pull out the crown... push the top button to move minute hand in 15 minute increments or bottom hand to move in hour increments (maybe I have that reversed... the watch is not on my wrist right now). The retrograde counter points to the 24-hour time when the crown is pulled out in home mode. The downside to this setup, if moving forward a time zone, no problem, but if needing to move back 1 hour the hour button must be pushed 23 times. This is slightly annoying but not difficult.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
1 - 20 of 43 Posts