WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
<----(WIS) Watch Idiot Savant or "WIS".

What's a WIS you might ask? It is a term for a watch "nut". We collect watches and tend to know more about watches than one person should. Most people have one or two watches. Oh no, not a WIS. We have 5, 10, 20, 30 or more sometimes.:-!
And it gets better as a WIS is very anal about things..I'll let the others chime in and finish the definition. This could get long,But, at the end of this thread, for those that don't know, or wondered, you'll have a general idea of what a WIS is. Q: You know you are a WIS when...............

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
you begin getting dressed by putting on your watch first.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
ok here's my definition of WIS

-before out of the car, my girlfriend do a little brush for her make-up and me re-matching for the last time which watch for that occasion. [i always bring 2-3 watches]

-i look the watch and don't know what time it is, unless i really want to know what time it is.

-meet a good scenery, i take it as my watch background

-before passing through door or gate, i put my left hand's palm to protect it.. i am paranoia about scratch!!!

-if it's raining, i conceal my watches behind my shirt or by my handkerchief

-i always politely asking my girlfriend to wear my watches. my sincerest honesty that it looks much sexier in hers than in my wrist.. but she always refuse....:-(

ok i guess that's enough. don;t wanna reveal all my lunacy.

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
ok here's my definition of WIS

-before out of the car, my girlfriend do a little brush for her make-up and me re-matching for the last time which watch for that occasion. [i always bring 2-3 watches]

-i look the watch and don't know what time it is, unless i really want to know what time it is.

-meet a good scenery, i take it as my watch background

-before passing through door or gate, i put my left hand's palm to protect it.. i am paranoia about scratch!!!

-if it's raining, i conceal my watches behind my shirt
OMG..I do EXACTLY the same things:-d And I thought I had a illness...;-)
Just last week we were at the beach..she was talking about how relaxing it was to see the ocean and hear the waves..Me?...I was wishing I had my camera, while eyeballing all the great places, that I could of been snapping pics of my watch..lol

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
...when you look at your watch without any intention of reading the time.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I think I've made it home coming to this site, as these are all things I do, especially looking at my watch and not even noticing the time, or turning my wrist in so I don't scratch it.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Most people have one or two watches. Oh no, not a WIS. We have 5, 10, 20, 30 or more sometimes.:-!
This is the only part I'll take issue with. I'm a WIS, but it's my goal to get down to just 2 watches. :-d

·
Banned
5,317 Posts
I will add that

1) I make a mental note to match my strap color to my mood and/or clothes for the day
2) change straps at least once a day - I don't have too many watches so I alternate straps more than watches.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
I'll play!

1. I have a special UV flashlight to charge my lume
  2. I learned how to take long exposure shots just so I could ytake a picture of my lume
  3. I set my alarm to wake up at 12, 2, 4,and 6 AM to see which of my watches had the longest lasting lume
  4. I have multiple atomic clocks to check the variance of my auto.(which I check at least 5 times a day)
  5. I have bookmarked strap sellers on ebay

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
You have to be kidding:-d You sir, get my prize for sickest WIS|>
LOL, I only did it once, and I woke up before the 2 alarm so I turned the alarms off and just woke up around 2, 4 (dog got me up anyway) and 6 ( I normally wake up)

·
Banned
7,645 Posts
You know you are a WIS when...............
....you make sure to leave an event to get home in time to bid on a certain vintage watch on eBay.

....you ask for all your watch related items (ie: winders, reference books, etc) for birthday and Christmas gifts so you don't have to use funds that are earmarked for actual watch purchases.

....you go into a 20 minute history lecture when a simple question was asked about a certain brand by a 'regular' person.

....you buy belts & shoes to match your favorite watch straps.

·
Registered
679 Posts
The simplest and truest way to check if you are a WIS or not is this question:

Do you have a habit of checking what watch everyone is wearing?

If you do, you're WIS. Simple as that.

Or maybe when you have a habit of laughing at those Fossils DKNY Gucci D&G whatnot - watches on display at the mall, I think you have a problem there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
-When you come home from vacation and notice that you have more pics of your watches then you do of your wife and kids.

-You get giddy everytime you see a UPS truck

- When you shop for a new camera your first question is "how good is the macro function?"

- You catch yourself doing the "wrist watch arm winding motion" (circle like arm flick) and then remember you are wearing a manual wind watch.

- you have set up a hidden bank account from your wife just for the next watch fund. ("swiss" bank account if you pardon the pun)

jebs

·
Registered
112 Posts
I keep a set of tools, polishing cloth & green pad on my desk...at work and home.

·
Banned
7,645 Posts
This reminded me of a post I made on another forum. For laughs here it is:

HOW FAR GONE ARE YOU?

STAGE 1: You're walking by the window of a store you never noticed before and you are frozen in your tracks. Lo & behold, there's a watch calling you that you MUST have. Whether you buy it or not right then is irrelevant. Whether you even can afford it is of no consequence. You just got infected. Resistance is futile.

STAGE 2: You start researching your new obsession. You realize there is MUCH more to this than you expected, and several brands are striking your fancy and deserve a look at the local AD. You justify multiple watches by saying it's perfectly acceptable to own a separate watch for certain occasions. As a matter of fact, you NEED a different watch for dress, casual outings, and puttering around the garden/basement/garage/marina. :roll:

STAGE 3: As your collection grows you find accessories become necessities. You are no longer content to put your babies in the sock drawer so a case and/or winder (or combination) is in your thoughts. Oh, and while doing your Stage 2 research all the gorgeous pictures (watch ....) have made you realize your tourist pocket camera just ain't cuttin' it Jack! But you are soooo much into planning your next acquisition that you fear it will seriously derail your budget. That's when the little light bulb goes off in your head....isn't that what Christmas & birthdays are for? BRILLIANT! :-!

STAGE 4: You're Stage 2 research also brought to light some brands with century's long histories. This is the start of either a desire to specialize in a single or a few specific brands or a drive towards vintage....or both. *You also are on a first name basis with 1 or 2 ADs by now.

STAGE 5: Hopefully by now you've scratched most itches but developed new ones. Some common sense about spending and the size of your collection are creeping in (phew!) and you may have flipped a few pieces because you fell out of lust. You learn to be less impetuous and more focused. You also have been so immersed into this hobby that when your wife/girlfriend asks you what you're wearing to a particular function you reply with the watch you plan to wear assuming that's what she meant!

STAGE 6: You are TOAST! You're so far gone you look for hiding places where your significant other won't look to stash new pieces until you begrudgingly flip a neglected one. (Mine is the oven! :-d) You've even entertained the thought of renting a post office box for "emergencies".

1 - 20 of 182 Posts