WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure this subject has been covered before, but I couldn't find the link in a search. On this very forum I have seen people post pictures of their latest purchase amounting to 1000s of pounds/dollars, and wondered if I am on the correct forum. I have even made posts about my latest watches costing perhaps a $1000 and wondered if I am in the right place. Perhaps the this particular should be renamed watches under X amount. In brief, what do you consider a reasonably priced watch.

·
Registered
405 Posts
yeah, I agree. maybe we need to define it somewhere...or maybe we can create a new "ultra affordables" forum or something....I'm thinking anything below $250.

people looking at "affordable watches" are doing it for a reason.

I'm middle class all the way, but spending even $500 on a watch seems a bit outrageous to me.

·
Registered
985 Posts
It's been discussed at length. And while I tend to agree, it's all relative.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: LosAngelesTimer

·
Registered
386 Posts
A few years ago this forum used to be about anything <1000$/€/£

But lately this forum has become mostly about discussing and requesting Chinese knockoffs of popular dive watches.

I would certainly be in favor of separating the endless flood of “submariner homages” from non-chinese affordables and microbrand watches.

·
Registered
656 Posts
...we can all find different definitions for for sure an affordable watch is any timepiece with a commensurate relationship between quality and non mental asylum price for a watch

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
I am sure this subject has been covered before, but I couldn't find the link in a search. On this very forum I have seen people post pictures of their latest purchase amounting to 1000s of pounds/dollars, and wondered if I am on the correct forum. I have even made posts about my latest watches costing perhaps a $1000 and wondered if I am in the right place. Perhaps the this particular should be renamed watches under X amount. In brief, what do you consider a reasonably priced watch.
That is a tough one. One mans ceiling is another mans floor . I have many watches some in the 5 to 8 hundred range and some in the K's.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The answer to your question is a tricky one. A “reasonably priced” watch can be a piece costing a couple of hundred dollars or less with decent build quality, but with understandable flaws based on the low price. It can also be a piece costing $1500 or more that has incredible fit and finish and punches way above its price point. Having said that, pinpointing what price is “affordable“ is an entirely different story. Some people on WUS have posted their submariner under the affordable/beater category. I always get a kick out of that. No matter how much money you have, or how you choose to wear your wristwatch, a submariner is neither affordable nor is it a beater. Affordability will always be subjective and very difficult to reduce to a dollar amount.

·
Registered
466 Posts
For me I would say anything under about $500-$700 or so qualifies as an affordable watch to me. Something that if I were to lose it/break it I wouldn't be totally devastated over.

·
Registered
656 Posts
No matter how much money you have, or how you choose to wear your wristwatch, a submariner is neither affordable nor is it a beater. Affordability will always be subjective and very difficult to reduce to a dollar amount.
Actually it was a well built quality beater before prices left the human reasoning realm......it was a high quality tool watch.

There are a lot of people that bought a Sub in the 1970 that could, or often, would not afford one today.

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts
There's been lots of discussion on WUS across dozens of threads but not much in the way of consensus.

Like a poster above, I would like to see a clearer differentiation between affordable original designs and knockoffs. I have absolutely zero interest in the latter. Call me a snowflake (I dare ya! ;)) but the viral outbreak of pics of fake subs, simulated turtles and other clones on threads I'm enjoying tends to ruin the experience.

Personally, I'd say "affordable" is anything below $1500 or so.

Reactions: t minus and Buramu

·
Registered
186 Posts
Actually it was a well built quality beater before prices left the human reasoning realm......it was a high quality tool watch.

There are a lot of people that bought a Sub in the 1970 that could, or often, would not afford one today.
That’s great if we lived in the 1970s. But we are discussing 2020 aren’t we?

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Heh. I was about to post something totally snarky but I just realized that the whole "what is an affordable?" thread that was sticky'd is no longer up there. I wonder why?

So, anyway, the previously agreed threshold was ~$1000 and below.

Who knows, maybe this thread will be the new sticky one.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Affordable = how much could you spend without it not being cool with your significant other? How much would you be good with if she spent it on a purse or a pair of shoes?

·
Registered
74 Posts

I also wonder if today's watches have equaled the 1970 Sub in reliability? Damasko, Sinn, Oris all seem to play around the equivalent value of a 1970 sub when adjusted for inflation.

·
Registered
656 Posts
That’s great if we lived in the 1970s. But we are discussing 2020 aren’t we?

...if your income kept pace with the Sub stratospheric inflation, it is still a high quality beater....

Believe me or not I met older folks that used them as everyday watch and were not actually completely aware of the insanity level current prices...

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There's been lots of discussion on WUS across dozens of threads but not much in the way of consensus.

Like a poster above, I would like to see a clearer differentiation between affordable original designs and knockoffs. I have absolutely zero interest in the latter. Call me a snowflake (I dare ya! ;)) but the viral outbreak of pics of fake subs, simulated turtles and other clones on threads I'm enjoying tends to ruin the experience.

Personally, I'd say "affordable" is anything below $1500 or so.
Nearly every consumable in life homages to something else. Don't confuse fakes with products that resemble other products, that's just life

Reactions: Dub Rubb
1 - 20 of 119 Posts