WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Looking to buy a gshock from overseas. But I'm confused with the multiband and atomic function. How does it work and will it work in singapore?
New to Gshock
Thanks

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Hi,
Looking to buy a gshock from overseas. But I'm confused with the multiband and atomic function. How does it work and will it work in singapore?
New to Gshock
Thanks
Multiband means atomic reception on more then one frequency so that it can sync with other radio towers.

The most recent development seen in for instance the Riseman has Multiband 6 meaning it can sync to 2 towers in Japan, 2 in Europe (Germany and England) and 1 in USA aswell as the latest the one in China. Most models can't sync in China. Older models prior to 2006 was only dual bands so they could only sync to the one in USA and 2 in Japan, or other European models was only syncable in Europe.

In Singapore however there is no atomic reception as it is out of range of all those towers. In general the SE Asia is a big hole when it comes to radio coverage. In Singapore they usually sell the cheaper versions of G-Shocks without atomic capability. For instance the Riseman sold in Singapore is the G-9200 and not the GW-9200. The G-9200 has solar power but no atomic function

·
Registered
747 Posts
Hi,
New to Gshock
Thanks
Multiband is another qualification for the Atomic function. When they say Multiband 5 or 6 Atomic, it means the watch is able to receive atomic time calibrations/updates from 5 or 6 different atomic clock stations. The multiband 5 can receive from the 2 stations in Japan, 1 station in the US, 1 station in the UK and 1 station in Germany. The multiband 6 adds the China station. From Singapore, you should be able to receive from China or Japan during good conditions. Folks from the Philippines have been able to receive from both and folks in Australia have been able to receive from Japan. b-)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Multiband means atomic reception on more then one frequency so that it can sync with other radio towers.

The most recent development seen in for instance the Riseman has Multiband 6 meaning it can sync to 2 towers in Japan, 2 in Europe (Germany and England) and 1 in USA aswell as the latest the one in China.

In Singapore however there is no atomic reception as it is out of range of all thiose towers. In general the SE Asia is a big hole when it comes to radio coverage. In Singapore they usually sell the cheaper versions of G-Shocks without atomic capability. For instance the Riseman sold in Singapore is the G-9200 and not the GW-9200. The G-9200 has solar power but no atomic function
So it's useless to have these watches in Singapore if they dont work.
Hunting for a Gshock and can't decide, too many out there.
Is GW225E frogman good?

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
So it's useless to have these watches in Singapore if they dont work.
Hunting for a Gshock and can't decide, too many out there.
Is GW225E frogman good?
Maybe if you put your hometown to Hong Kong or something and try to face the watch in the right direction and try to manually sync it outside very late at night (4-5) then some days you might get a sync signal. But most of the time yes it will be useless to you. But that does not mean that Atomic watches are totally useless after all you can still set time manually like regular quarts watches.

Frogman is not atomic, but yes Frogman is top of the line G-Shock so a great but expensive choice!

·
Registered
35,399 Posts
I can draw an analogy to a GSM mobile phone that can "communicate" with different frequencies. The higher the number on the multiband simply means that it can receive from my signals.

I believe that you will be able to receive some signals from Singapore if you set your location to Hong Kong or Beijing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts