WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 242 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been here a brief time, however in reading through the threads I have realized that there are many people like me who are happy with their collections but nevertheless lust (for lack of a better word) after a number of watches. I certainly have a “short list“ of watches that in a perfect world I would love to own but probably never will. I thought it would be interesting if people would share their current “short list”. This is NOT meant to be a list of outrageous grails. Lord knows we would all love to own a Patek Philippe, an Audermars Piguet, or something of the sort. This list is more focused on attainable, and even affordable watches that you have seriously considered, or are seriously considering, but for some reason have not made it to your collection. Here are my five:

1 Rolex Explorer 114270
2. Grand Seiko sbgn003
3. Hamilton Khaki King Champagne Dial
4. Rolex Explorer II 16570 Polar
5. Omega Railmaster 1957 Trilogy Model.

List your five!

·
Registered
583 Posts
I don’t have 5, just one...Sinn EZM 10 w/ Ti bracelet:-!

Nice list you have going:-!:-!

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Hmmm. In the real, actual world - I would love to get an Omega Planet Ocean 2500d in 42mm, and am actively searching for a good example.

If we’re talking pure fantasy, lottery win kinda scenario there’s a few I would add to that list to try, at least. When it comes to certain watches (like the Rolex Seadweller 4K, for example) it’s unlikely I’ll ever get to even try one on though! I find myself quite attracted to the Oyster Perpetual 39 in white dial guise, and also like the Omega Aqua Terra 2503.33.00 (the one with the white dial and blue hands) that would compete with the Op39 for the same position - but again, I’d want to try them on ideally and that’s unlikely to happen! I’m mostly happy with what I have, but window shopping is a lot of fun.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm. In the real, actual world - I would love to get an Omega Planet Ocean 2500d in 42mm, and am actively searching for a good example.

If we’re talking pure fantasy, lottery win kinda scenario there’s a few I would add to that list to try, at least. When it comes to certain watches (like the Rolex Seadweller 4K, for example) it’s unlikely I’ll ever get to even try one on though! I find myself quite attracted to the Oyster Perpetual 39 in white dial guise, and also like the Omega Aqua Terra 2503.33.00 (the one with the white dial and blue hands) that would compete with the Op39 for the same position - but again, I’d want to try them on ideally and that’s unlikely to happen! I’m mostly happy with what I have, but window shopping is a lot of fun.
You definitely got the point of the thread, and that is a nice list. Windowshopping is a good way to put it. I would add that it is windowshopping with serious intent, and then your better angels pull your back from the brink! LOL.

Reactions: Larsjeee

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well I just grabbed one from my list. Breitling Seawolf.

List: (a few will never be attainable)

1- PP Nautilus 5712
2- AP Royal Oak Offshore Diver
3- Rolex - GMT Batman
4- Omega- PO 600

Omega will probably be next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
65,019 Posts
The Rolex Explorer II Polar is always on my radar but the chances of a Brit snaring one of those is slim to non existent.
In a bid to inject a bit of reality to the situation I have a hankering for the PVD Scurfa Bell Diver 1 and the Chris Ward Sandhurst.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I just grabbed one from my list. Breitling Seawolf.

List: (a few will never be attainable)

1- PP Nautilus 5712
2- AP Royal Oak Offshore Diver
3- Rolex - GMT Batman
4- Omega- PO 600

Omega will probably be next.

Great list! For some people a Nautilus or a Royal Oak may indeed be attainable. However, not for most and that is why I wanted to limit this to pieces that are definitely within your grasp but you have “come to your senses“ and not pulled the trigger.

By the way, good luck with that PO. Great watch!

Reactions: King0424

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
On my radar: only Seiko SPB143 or 149... Nothing else for right now...

But later down the line: Explorer 1, when I feel I have some $$$$ to spare on “frivolous” stuff

Or whatever latest Grand Seiko iteration will strike my fancy when the USDJPY exchange rate becomes favorable again... I only buy expensive JDM watches when it’s close to or over 120... Been a long time lately...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Great list! For some people a Nautilus or a Royal Oak may indeed be attainable. However, not for most and that is why I wanted to limit this to pieces that are definitely within your grasp but you have “come to your senses“ and not pulled the trigger.

By the way, good luck with that PO. Great watch!
Ahhh thank you!! It may be a year or so before I get it but I definitely will.

Those watches are those types of things I buy once I have a midlife crisis, along with a Porsche hahahahaha!!

Love the post! Gets people thinking and dreaming. Always good to fantasize a little.

·
Premium Member
39,825 Posts
Nomos Club Date
Meistersinger Metris (yellow)
Omega 120 Jacques Mayol
Damasko DS30 Windup
GS SBGX291

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Mine is more prosaic and more affordable.
1. Scurfa Treasure Seeker
2. Hamtun Nanok titanium
3. Axios Ironclad new color ways
4. Smiths Caribbean

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Rolex Explorer II Polar is always on my radar but the chances of a Brit snaring one of those is slim to non existent.
In a bid to inject a bit of reality to the situation I have a hankering for the PVD Scurfa Bell Diver 1 and the Chris Ward Sandhurst.
Reality is what this thread is about. We could all go off and put together a list of watches that only the gliterati can afford, but what would be the point of that?

By the way, I owned a Scurfa a while back and regret selling it as part of my culling phase. It was a very nice watch!

Reactions: Tanjecterly

·
Registered
47 Posts
Up next is a Rolex GMT Pepsi (16710), just struggling to justify the price for a Watch that’s going to be 15 years old at best! I love the hulk as well, kicking myself for not picking it up retail a few years ago when you could still walk into an AD and pay retail right out of the display case.

·
Premium Member
65,019 Posts
Reality is what this thread is about. We could all go off and put together a list of watches that only the gliterati can afford, but what would be the point of that?

By the way, I owned a Scurfa a while back and regret selling it as part of my culling phase. It was a very nice watch!
Perhaps I should have been a little clearer - The Polar is just a pipe dream for me so it was my reality that I was referring to.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Perhaps I should have been a little clearer - The Polar is just a pipe dream for me so it was my reality that I was referring to.
You never know. Stranger things have happened. There are many people that put a little away each month towards their grail. The problem is if they are like me at the end of that road looking at that big pile of cash it really is hard to justify putting it into one piece. Right now the polar is selling for north of $6500 USD. That is a big number that is hard to justify.

·
Registered
114 Posts
These seem to have become very popular. I have two friends who haven't been interested in Rolex and now they both want an Explorer II Polar. I'd like to know why.

·
Registered
114 Posts
These seem to have become very popular. I have two friends who haven't been interested in Rolex and now they both want an Explorer II Polar. I'd like to know why.
The funny thing is, they can't really answer that question themselves other than they have always kind of liked them.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I’m always a sucker for a Seiko 5 but my long term list is.

1: Cartier Tank MC rose gold
2: 4 digit DateJust variations (two tone jubilee, blue dial is the grail)
3: Omega GMT Seamaster
4: Rolex Explorer I
5: Hulk Submariner
6: AP Millenary 38.5mm not the goofy face

1 - 20 of 242 Posts