·
Premium Member
39,825 Posts
Nomos Club Date
Meistersinger Metris (yellow)
Omega 120 Jacques Mayol
Damasko DS30 Windup
GS SBGX291
Now this thread has been bumped two months later, I can report the Damasko is now with me.

I doubt I'll ever get the Omega Jacques Mayol, so updated radar list:
Nomos Club Date
GS SBGX291

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Now this thread has been bumped two months later, I can report the Damasko is now with me.

Nomos Club Date
GS SBGX291
That Meistersinger looks amazing!

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Not on my radar ...YET , but everything I read says I must have an Omega Moonwatch in my collection....
maybe ???LOL

·
Premium Member
39,825 Posts
That Meistersinger looks amazing!
Yeah, not sure how I'd get on long-term with a single hander. I'm fine with having something quirky in my collection and each watch only gets worn a few times a month, so might be fine.

Looks gorgeous though.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts

Nomos Club Date
GS SBGX291
As a big fan of both the real Jacques Mayol, and the movie Big Blue, I also keep an eye out for one of those special green and gold Omegas, but they just don’t seem to come up.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Not on my radar ...YET , but everything I read says I must have an Omega Moonwatch in my collection....
maybe ???LOL
I felt the same way, wanted a Chrono but didn't really want the ubiquitous Speedy. Ended up deciding that objectively the watch that fit most of my criteria was a Speedy. So I found a vintage one and really like it.

Reactions: u2bdet

·
Registered
245 Posts
Good call.

In my near radar I have a Hamilton Khaki or a Ball Marvelight.

On the vintage front, I have my eyes on a Aquastar Regate or Benthos.

Neither of these will be possible without a substantial restructuring of my current lopsided collection.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Update : Got a Hamilton air race as my GADA and impulse purchased the aquastar Regate. Though the latter needs servicing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Another update, 2 months later.

I've since bought the anordain, used, from another WUS member. A fantastic watch, you can read my thoughts on it here New AnOrdain Model 2 First Fumé Dial

I've also bought a chronograph. I was considering something expensive, like the quartz Breitling and Nivada reissue mentioned in the quoted post. WUS made me see that was ridiculous, and so I bought a green HKED ED63. It's a good watch, definitely worth the price, but ultimately it served its purpose and helped me realise I don't use its function and actually heavily dislike having superfluous functions and complexity on my watches. It will likely be on its way in the upcoming weeks.

The revised "on my radar" list is below:

View attachment 15360042

1. Laco Kempten. I absolutely love the looks, but am not sure about how well it will fit me. I've gone from "this is my next watch" to "it's too big, off the list it goes" and back again. The only way to be sure it to give it a try, so the Kempten is now the forerunner to what happens to my "radar". If it fits well I'll keep it and start saving again, otherwise I'll return it and redirect the funds towards...

2. Stowa Marine 36 small seconds. I've had a long love affair with this watch, but for a multitude of reasons it still hasn't found its way to my wrist.

3. If the Laco doesn't fit, I'll likely keep looking for a pilot/military style watch with a black dial. The Archimede Pilot 36 handwound is one of the best designed type A fliegers I've seen. I've also come across the upcoming Newmark 52, with a 37mm wide asymmetric case and powered by a Seiko sweeping quartz movement. Should be interesting and much, much cheaper than any of the mechanical options. If it comes to this I'll likely have my fair share of mechanical watches already, so a quartz (with sweeping seconds, that is) would be welcomed with open arms.

So, looking back, I've acted on my previous radar and further refined the future targets. I'm happy.
Another update, a little over 2 months later.

I've since bought one watch that wasn't on my radar back then. No idea it existed even. The Zelos Nova, hand wound (of course), 38mm, available with 5 or 6 interesting dials, came in like a wrecking ball. Decided on a meteorite dial, which you can see below. This was to work as a 2-in-1 of the white dialed Stowa and black dialed fliegers, on top of the interesting nature of meteorite. Considered flipping it shortly after, as the crown was driving me mad with its lack of grip. Ended up asking my local watchmaker to replace the crown, and now it's almost perfect. Can't see myself selling it any time soon.

The Zelos has also shown me that as much as I like looking at the Stowa Marine 36 small seconds on pictures, it wouldn't work on my collection. I was actually a bit underwhelmed when I unboxed the Nova, the dial wasn't as dynamic as I expected. It has since grown on me, I've learned that it's not lighting that makes the dial dance (like my Farer and anordain), but rather orientation. The heat blued hands and indices are also very very nice, and bring a welcome dose of depth and colour to the dial.

In other news, I've finally sold the HKED and the Seiko is listed for sale. The house is almost clean.

There have been major changes on my radar, though. The aforementioned enlightenment about the Stowa (same for the Archimede), the ever present fear about the lugs of the Laco, the outgrowing of the Newmark, I was kinda radarless for a while. I was (and still am) happy to enjoy my current collection. But then I saw a watch that changed everything.

I had already come across Fears a few times. I liked the looks of their watches, but couldn't understand the price tag. Asking 70% more than anordain does for their fume dials is... optimistic. They look like well made watches, sure, but didn't offer anything out of the ordinary.

Then, a few days ago, our good friend @Bradjhomes throws me a curveball in the shape of a salmon. Read the wornandwound review (excellent as usual) as well as fratello's. A quick look on youtube and bark and jack has just posted a video. And oh my god this thing's insane. Just look at it. That dial, those numerals...

While I've always entertained the idea of one day having a FPJourne, ALS, Dornbluth or even Atelier de Chronometrie, I know that spending that kind of silly money on a watch just doesn't make sense. No matter if the watches are worth it, it's too much. Maybe one day I'll have so much money laying around that I don't know what t do with it, but that's highly unlikely. So I drew my imaginary line at 5k. If there ever was something truly special at that price, maybe it could be done.

Problem (not really a problem but whatever) is that there wasn't a watch I really liked between the <1k price point I dabble in at the moment, and the >10k price point of those utopic hand made beauties. There have been many contenders, but none I liked as much as my current watches, let alone even more.

So yep. I'll go full WPAC mode until either I get the 3k needed for the Fears, or I grow out of it. It's the only watch on my radar.

Reactions: Ragl

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
1.) GS Snowflake
2.) AP Royal Oak ( If I win the lottery)
3.)Zenith El Primero
4.) PP Aquanaut (also would need winning lottery numbers)
5.) JLC MUT Moon

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
I had already come across Fears a few times. I liked the looks of their watches, but couldn't understand the price tag. Asking 70% more than anordain does for their fume dials is... optimistic. They look like well made watches, sure, but didn't offer anything out of the ordinary.
That Fears Salmon caught my eye in the Fratello blog.....the dial is gorgeous, but like Nova Salmon this one is already sold out!!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
That Fears Salmon caught my eye in the Fratello blog.....the dial is gorgeous, but like Nova Salmon this one is already sold out!!
The salmon Nova, next to this, is like a standard A4 paper sheet printed on my home inkjet printer. Not even comparable IMO. The price isn't comparable either, of course.

I just hope that whenever I get the money, it will still exist.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
The salmon Nova, next to this, is like a standard A4 paper sheet printed on my home inkjet printer. Not even comparable IMO. The price isn't comparable either, of course.

I just hope that whenever I get the money, it will still exist.
I get it, I meant to say Salmon is a quick seller - at any price point.

·
Premium Member
39,825 Posts
Another update, a little over 2 months later.

I've since bought one watch that wasn't on my radar back then. No idea it existed even. The Zelos Nova, hand wound (of course), 38mm, available with 5 or 6 interesting dials, came in like a wrecking ball. Decided on a meteorite dial, which you can see below. This was to work as a 2-in-1 of the white dialed Stowa and black dialed fliegers, on top of the interesting nature of meteorite. Considered flipping it shortly after, as the crown was driving me mad with its lack of grip. Ended up asking my local watchmaker to replace the crown, and now it's almost perfect. Can't see myself selling it any time soon.

View attachment 15475828

The Zelos has also shown me that as much as I like looking at the Stowa Marine 36 small seconds on pictures, it wouldn't work on my collection. I was actually a bit underwhelmed when I unboxed the Nova, the dial wasn't as dynamic as I expected. It has since grown on me, I've learned that it's not lighting that makes the dial dance (like my Farer and anordain), but rather orientation. The heat blued hands and indices are also very very nice, and bring a welcome dose of depth and colour to the dial.

In other news, I've finally sold the HKED and the Seiko is listed for sale. The house is almost clean.

There have been major changes on my radar, though. The aforementioned enlightenment about the Stowa (same for the Archimede), the ever present fear about the lugs of the Laco, the outgrowing of the Newmark, I was kinda radarless for a while. I was (and still am) happy to enjoy my current collection. But then I saw a watch that changed everything.

Then, a few days ago, our good friend @Bradjhomes throws me a curveball in the shape of a salmon. Read the wornandwound review (excellent as usual) as well as fratello's. A quick look on youtube and bark and jack has just posted a video. And oh my god this thing's insane. Just look at it. That dial, those numerals...

View attachment 15475855

While I've always entertained the idea of one day having a FPJourne, ALS, Dornbluth or even Atelier de Chronometrie, I know that spending that kind of silly money on a watch just doesn't make sense. No matter if the watches are worth it, it's too much. Maybe one day I'll have so much money laying around that I don't know what t do with it, but that's highly unlikely. So I drew my imaginary line at 5k. If there ever was something truly special at that price, maybe it could be done.

Problem (not really a problem but whatever) is that there wasn't a watch I really liked between the <1k price point I dabble in at the moment, and the >10k price point of those utopic hand made beauties. There have been many contenders, but none I liked as much as my current watches, let alone even more.

So yep. I'll go full WPAC mode until either I get the 3k needed for the Fears, or I grow out of it. It's the only watch on my radar.
That Salmon dial is amazing. The piece on W&W was just a quick introduction rather than a full hands on review, but Nicholas came and sat in my garden to show the new models. The salmon dial is just incredible. Brushing is so light until you hit the right lighting and BAM. The tone of is is fantastic too, and the applied indices work really well. Such a gorgeous watch

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
That Salmon dial is amazing. The piece on W&W was just a quick introduction rather than a full hands on review, but Nicholas came and sat in my garden to show the new models. The salmon dial is just incredible. Brushing is so light until you hit the right lighting and BAM. The tone of is is fantastic too, and the applied indices work really well. Such a gorgeous watch
Oh man your description of it is mouth watering. I hope I'll be able to see it in person eventually, let alone own it.

What about the silver Midas? It seems to be as dynamic, just without the salmon/cooper tinge.

·
Premium Member
39,825 Posts
Oh man your description of it is mouth watering. I hope I'll be able to see it in person eventually, let alone own it.

What about the silver Midas? It seems to be as dynamic, just without the salmon/cooper tinge.
It was nice, but I think I was so drawn to the salmon to appreciate the Midas properly. The colours and textures work really well on it, but...oh man...that salmon!

Where in the UK are you? Nicholas is very good about meeting up with potential customers if you're close to his Canterbury showroom.

181 - 200 of 242 Posts