Registered
Jaeger-LeCoultre Polaris Automatic | Montblanc Sport 3273
13 Posts
1. TAG Heuer Carrera Skeleton Calibre Heuer 01 on Bracelet
2. Rolex GMT-Master II

·
Registered
369 Posts
On the lower-end, a Glycine Combat Sub might be a fun cheap purchase.

Going higher, the new Frederique Constant Highlife collection looks quite good to me. Want to wait for prices to drop on the secondary market before I buy one, don't see the value at current retail price and am fully aware these things will drop like a brick.

For a bit more on the secondary market, a Speedy Reduced has been on my list for years, and I'd still love to have one on my wrist.

Reactions: oztech

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Another update, a little over 2 months later.

I've since bought one watch that wasn't on my radar back then. No idea it existed even. The Zelos Nova, hand wound (of course), 38mm, available with 5 or 6 interesting dials, came in like a wrecking ball. Decided on a meteorite dial, which you can see below. This was to work as a 2-in-1 of the white dialed Stowa and black dialed fliegers, on top of the interesting nature of meteorite. Considered flipping it shortly after, as the crown was driving me mad with its lack of grip. Ended up asking my local watchmaker to replace the crown, and now it's almost perfect. Can't see myself selling it any time soon.

View attachment 15475828

The Zelos has also shown me that as much as I like looking at the Stowa Marine 36 small seconds on pictures, it wouldn't work on my collection. I was actually a bit underwhelmed when I unboxed the Nova, the dial wasn't as dynamic as I expected. It has since grown on me, I've learned that it's not lighting that makes the dial dance (like my Farer and anordain), but rather orientation. The heat blued hands and indices are also very very nice, and bring a welcome dose of depth and colour to the dial.

In other news, I've finally sold the HKED and the Seiko is listed for sale. The house is almost clean.

There have been major changes on my radar, though. The aforementioned enlightenment about the Stowa (same for the Archimede), the ever present fear about the lugs of the Laco, the outgrowing of the Newmark, I was kinda radarless for a while. I was (and still am) happy to enjoy my current collection. But then I saw a watch that changed everything.

I had already come across Fears a few times. I liked the looks of their watches, but couldn't understand the price tag. Asking 70% more than anordain does for their fume dials is... optimistic. They look like well made watches, sure, but didn't offer anything out of the ordinary.

Then, a few days ago, our good friend @Bradjhomes throws me a curveball in the shape of a salmon. Read the wornandwound review (excellent as usual) as well as fratello's. A quick look on youtube and bark and jack has just posted a video. And oh my god this thing's insane. Just look at it. That dial, those numerals...

View attachment 15475855

While I've always entertained the idea of one day having a FPJourne, ALS, Dornbluth or even Atelier de Chronometrie, I know that spending that kind of silly money on a watch just doesn't make sense. No matter if the watches are worth it, it's too much. Maybe one day I'll have so much money laying around that I don't know what t do with it, but that's highly unlikely. So I drew my imaginary line at 5k. If there ever was something truly special at that price, maybe it could be done.

Problem (not really a problem but whatever) is that there wasn't a watch I really liked between the <1k price point I dabble in at the moment, and the >10k price point of those utopic hand made beauties. There have been many contenders, but none I liked as much as my current watches, let alone even more.

So yep. I'll go full WPAC mode until either I get the 3k needed for the Fears, or I grow out of it. It's the only watch on my radar.
Another update, two months later.

The Zelos honeymoon was shortlived. It's a perfectly fine watch that does nothing for me. Boring as it can be. The intrincacies of the meteorite can only do so much, and I need colour. The Zelos is just... grayscale. I'm currently in the process of selling it.

The radar stays the same. Fears Brunswick Salmon. My name is on the waitlist, while the manufacturing is in progress. Likely to be available by March/April, which is perfect as it will take me that long to save up. Will also give some more time to contemplate the purchase further, mainly in financial terms. When the time comes, I know I'll make the right decision. Before then, I'll also try to go to ADs and try on other watches, mostly more expensive, that have been on my mind, such as the Grand Seiko SBGW231, SBGA375, Oris Pro Pilot X, GO Panoinverse, JLC Master Control Reserve de Marche, and a few others.

Anyway, here's another photo of the Fears (from the web), because you can never have too much of a good thing.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Oh my, it's incredible how things change in a span of six months. The four watches that I mentioned in the past are no longer on my radar for different reasons.

Rolex OP39 - Discontinued.
Doxa Sub 200 - Reviews and CS horror stories turned me off from the brand.
Tourby Lawless 40 - Lost interest though it is a great watch.
Damasko DS30 - I found a great watch for similar use at half the price.

The Damasko DS30 was supposed to be my hiking/outdoor watch. But I'll be honest, and it might sound stupid, but I have a strong dislike of the logo. That is what kept me from getting one. Instead I looked into a proper field watch and fell in love with the Hamilton KFM in PVD. I love the slim profile, hand wound movement, lack of date and the big crown is a pleasure to wind.

I had been considering the Doxa Sub 200 and Tourby Lawless as a second diver to pair with my Alpina compressor. But the Oris D65 had been haunting my thoughts ever since trying one on at the WindUp Watch Fair last October. I loved the skin diver vibe and funky Arabic numerals but could never quite pull the trigger. Last Saturday I made the trip to one of my local ADs and got re-acquainted with this awesome diver. I also got to try on the 39.5 Aquis in mint dial and fell in love on the spot, but once I saw the D65 on wrist I knew that I had to get it.

Really pleased with them both.

I'm done purchasing watches for this year but am planning one big purchase next year to celebrate a personal milestone. The list of watches on my radar for next year is as follows though I'm well aware that preferences do change quite rapidly in this hobby.

• Zenith Chronomaster El Primero - New model due next year. 39mm?
  • Omega Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial 41mm
  • Glashütte Original Sixties 39mm
  • Glashütte Original SeaQ 39mm
  • Panerai Luminor Due 38mm

·
Registered
407 Posts
GS Snowflake, Rolex Milgauss, IWC Portugieser Automatic 40, SINN 556I RS, Ball 60 seconds, Orient Kamasu in green, Astor and Banks Sea Ranger Polar Edition, and so on....

·
Registered
8 Posts
At the moment I seem to have an addiction and urge to want to buy about 10 different Seiko Prospex models.

There's also the Oris Aquis Carysfort Reef, which is simply stunning for a watch in it's price bracket.

Oh yeh, and how could I forget the IWC Aquatimer Calypso.

I haven’t got a clue how I would pay for them all though.

Screenshot_20201028-201354_Chrome~2.jpg Screenshot_20201115-174753_Chrome~2.jpg

·
Registered
Breitling Aerospace, Davosa Ternos, Victorinox Airboss Chrono, Glycine Airman GMT, Etc...
40 Posts
I have no clue why, but I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since I saw one...

Breitling Heritage 57 with the rainbow dial...

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
665 Posts
In no particular order, here are a few from me. There are others.

Each of these brands has its own distinct characteristics and the particular watches below keep catching my eye.

1. Czapek Antarctique (sold out)
111 C24.jpg

2. J. N. Shapiro Infinity
222 aB2W.jpeg

3. Laurent Ferrier Classic Origin
333 sjx.jpg

All well and good. As it stands, I'm most likely to end up with the following. It adds something I don't already have in my collection, which is the main determinant when I pursue a watch. Realistically too it's the least costly by a large margin.

4. JLC Master Reserve de Marche (the 2002 version and not the current ultra-thin).
JLC 1.jpg

(Photo credits: see file names; JLC not sure)

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
The list goes on and on. Off the top of my head;

Vacheron Constantin Overseas
Office Panerai Pam 0655
Omega Seamaster 300 blue or white dial
Girard Perregaux Laureato white dial (just purchased)
Glashutte Original Senator hand date
Rainer Brand Argus
Chronoswiss Lunar Triple Calendar
Bulgari Diagono SD38 or SD40
Titoni Master Series Chronometer
Longines Spirit, HC or Record
Circula Aquasport (just purchased)
Atelier Millechron (in process)

·
Premium Member
5,429 Posts
The Oris Movember Edition 2019 Chronoris has been on my radar for the past year. Over the last couple of days, I mauled over whether to go ahead and purchase one or not. And today, I stopped at my AD to let him know I would like to purchase an Oris Movember Chronos. Unfortunately, he did not have one available locally. However, he was able to retrieve one from his system and have it delivered for me before the end of next week.

o9.jpg

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
You definitely got the point of the thread, and that is a nice list. Windowshopping is a good way to put it. I would add that it is windowshopping with serious intent, and then your better angels pull your back from the brink! LOL.
Tell me more about these “Angels”. I went on a blacked out buying spree this week. I think I need help.

·
Registered
9,963 Posts
None are necessarily imminent, but I have interest in...no particular order

Orient Star Diver - Gilt model
IWC Ingeniuer and Aquatica
Stowa Testaf T02 (bare bezel)
Damasko DA34 or 36
Montblanc Heritage Chronométrie Automatic (if I ever go back to the office)

·
Registered
705 Posts
A few:
  • Clerc Central Chrono green or yellow (loud color)
  • IWC le petit prince Chrono
  • IWC yacht club blue
  • Omega Seamaster 600M Chrono
  • Graham Silverstone RS Gmt
  • Maurice de Mauriac modern travel timer
  • Breguet type XXII
  • Rolex Deepsea 126660

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

221 - 240 of 242 Posts