WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
I think its because of the following reasons.

1. prices are too high for the product they make
2. They use mostly ETA movements (so do many others)
3. They make "limited" editions for everybody (it seems that AP is doing the same thing these days).
4. Some of their watches are just plain ugly (it is hard to find ugly watches in high end brands)
5. Some of their watches are too blingy
6. a lot of people see them as a marketing brand and not horology brand

however I would say the following

Even though I am not a Hublot fan at all. There are some really nice pieces that are more on the cleaner/simpler side. They also make a very nice tourbillon that is one of the most accessible in the market. Their materials are innovative.

these and many other reasons is probably why you will see many Hublots on many non-collectors writs, but not as many on real collectors wrists.

Reactions: devlred

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
...what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.
...as you lay with a catheter, maimed for the remainder of your days on life support. <winks>

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
Well, if you think about it, there had to be some watch company willing to step up and provide higher end watches to those with a taste for large, techno, macho looking watches. They have done it, and they take scorn for it. I like some of their watches but I've never held one to be able to assess if the quality of fit and finish justify what seem to be high prices.

Reactions: tony20009

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Well, if you think about it, there had to be some watch company willing to step up and provide higher end watches to those with a taste for large, techno, macho looking watches. They have done it, and they take scorn for it. I like some of their watches but I've never held one to be able to assess if the quality of fit and finish justify what seem to be high prices.
Yeah I think so too.
Some product had to fit that niche other than AP ROO.

Most young people who are not WUS member types don't really appreciate the classical looks of a Patek, Breguet and Lange.

I do think AP does it better though with better historical credentials and non-ETA (note: luxury) movements.

·
Registered
5,280 Posts

I do think AP does it better though with better historical credentials and non-ETA (note: luxury) movements.
I agree. But if one wants something on their wrist that is large, ballsy, brash and macho, Hublot probably does it best, and costs less than AP's various limited edition iterations of the ROO. AP would be the only other manufacturer that offers this genre.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I agree. But if one wants something on their wrist that is large, ballsy, brash and macho, Hublot probably does it best, and costs less than AP's various limited edition iterations of the ROO. AP would be the only other manufacturer that offers this genre.
richard mille is another.
but they're completely out of my reach for now.

·
Registered
888 Posts
This is only my opinion, so if you disagree, it may only mean we have differing tastes, which is normal, but here goes:

what's wrong with Hublot is that they are ostentatious, garish, tacky and ugly overpriced AP ROO look-alikes, that's what!

·
Registered
722 Posts
I don't think there is a brand that is more well disliked than Hublot, unless it's Fossil or Parnis. And frankly, I just don't see why. Is there actually something wrong or bad about their watches? I had one one my wrist briefly and it felt pretty good sitting there and it didn't look bad either. I also don't know how to pronounce their name. I've heard "ooh-blo," "Who-blo," "Hoob-lot," (rhymes with hoop shot) and "Hub-lot." That said, it's still easy to spell, and that's a big plus over many a watch brand's name.

So this is what I know about Hublot:
  • They make multiple lines of watches three of which are incredibly similar. There are hundreds of configurations/looks within/among the three styles.
  • Some of their styles are very "blingy" and some are clean and contemporary. No traditional/conventional looks.
  • They are all about chronographs.
  • Their watches seem to be larger rather than smaller, the smallest I know about being 41mm.
  • I seem them often enough in the Middle East and Los Angeles. I don't see them so much in other places.
  • They use a variety of materials -- steel, gold, tantalum, carbon fiber, etc. -- and they offer those metals in several colors.
  • They make their own movements, including tourbillions and minute repeaters, and though they might, I haven't yet heard of them buying in movements. (Check out Anish in the video below to hear theirs. To my ear it's one of the best sounding ones. I can tell why it's called "cathedral;" it's reminiscent of a cathedral bell)
  • They utilize features found in other pricey watches
  • They pay attention to small details like how to easily and quickly swap out straps, making a minute repeater from less sound absorbing metals than gold and platinum so that the sound is louder.
  • They created a ceramic alloy of gold that is considerably more scratch resistant.
  • They purchase materials companies so that, like Rolex, they can fabricate more of their watches themselves.
  • They utilize a variety of pop culture and sports figures as spokespersons such as Depeche Mode, Kobe Bryant and Jay Z.
  • They support causes, like Charity Water, that do something for folks who will likely never buy a Hublot. Hell, those beneficiaries may never see a Hublot.
  • They execute haute horology themes -- tourbillion, minute repeater, and so on -- and deploy them in watches that one could wear as easily to the grocery store or squash court as to the office. In this regard, they seem to the the "normal guys" haute horology manufacturer. I think that's pretty cool, actually.

As for the look of their watches, I like a lot of their Fusion line pieces, but I think others can look good too. I can't say one should or should like the aesthetics of the things. I just don't see what's so awful about them. I feel like their basic look definitely has some AP/PP inspiration going on (for all I know GG may have designed Hublot's pieces...I really don't know). Even IWC has/had a watch that has a RO/Nautilus feel to it, and it has screws around it's bezel as does the RO and BB. Even so, Hublot has also exploited the opportunities available with that design to the fullest and in ways that other folks have not. Again, I may not like the looks, but I can't deny the innovation or originality of them. And it's not like they are cheesey knock-offs like so many other companies produce.

In closing, I'd say that while I'm not keen to make a case for Hublot, I don't see much of one against them, yet I see a lot of scorn.

All the best, and yes, I like the little cubic function curve in their logo.

Do you know what we call opinion in the absence of evidence? We call it prejudice.
- Michael Crichton, State of Fear

Big Bang Tantalum

Carbon Fiber Minute Repeater

Hublot BB Green and Red

Scratch Resistant Gold Hublot - "Magic Gold" (COMMENT FABRIQUE-T-ON LE FAMEUX MAGIC GOLD CHEZ HUBLOT ? - YouTube)

King Power Knockout - (OK, so now I know what those Invicta Zeus watches are clones of <winks>) As flashy watches go, it's really not bad.

King Power Cathedral Gong Tourbillion Minute Repeater (say that three times fast...LOL) Hublot King Power Cathedral Gong Tourbillon Marcus Edition Watch - YouTube

Hublot Classic Fusion

Classic Fusion Red Skeleton
- This looks pretty good to me. It may be the only skeleton I've seen that I thought looked good.

Classic Fusion Titanium

OH, MY EYES! MY EYES!!!!!!!

·
Registered
392 Posts
That thing they do with making the hands the same color as the dial, that annoys me. It's like they're saying "reading the time is not the most important thing here."

·
Registered
495 Posts
Most young people who are not WUS member types don't really appreciate the classical looks of a Patek, Breguet and Lange.
I'm 29, and I like all 3!!!

·
Registered
Rolex Sub 116610LN || Rolex Datejust 126234 36mm Slate dial and Roman markers || G-Shock GW-5000-1JF
2,421 Posts
It might be because of the:
a) obnoxious advertisements
b) oversized and gaudy designs
c) awkward colorways
d) perception of people towards its brand ambassadors/endorsers
e) overpricing compared to other competing brands
f) combination of 2 or more of the assumptions above

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Tony,

JC Biver is a legendary watch industry executive (Audemars Piguet, Omega and Blancpain pre-Hublot) who catapulted Hublot from a failing brand into a successful brand in record-order (2004 = ~25M CHF vs. 2008 = ~250M CHF). In 2008, with the sale of the company to luxury conglomerate LVMH, Biver now had the capital to both enhance materials R&D, movement manufacture (BNB Concept) and of course marketing.

I do think the decision to design the Unico as a Valjoux 7750 size equivalent (to be able to drop into case/dial design) is limiting to their watch designs. It is a relatively thick, 13-1/4 ligne movement and as a result, it in turn drives very large/thick watch designs (which are the rage of recent times, but this may swing back).

Regarding the similarity to Rolex, I am not sure that I am fully with you on that, but I do see some of your points. Rolex is an entirely different beast and much of that relates to the scale of its operations and a development strategy based on incremental evolution/optimization. The use of a nautical porthole motif is common to Hublot, AP (Royal Oak) and the PP (Nautilus). The use of bezel perimeter screw heads, the bold size and graphical nature of their pieces make them most similar to AP ROO in my view.

As I said, they are not my “cup of tea” for a number of reasons (as is true of many luxury products/companies); but it is certain that they are a very well run company with a growing client base. Different strokes for different folks…

·
Registered
495 Posts
My god, that's one of the most disgusting advertisements of any kind that I've ever seen. The people that thought up, designed, and approved that should be publically stoned&#8230;

Reactions: AbuKalb93

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
This is what's wrong
[Bernie Ecclestone pic deleted]
Poor Bernie although I have to say I give props to anyone who's willing to be publicly photographed looking like that, all the more if the photo is going to be widely distributed.

Personally, I think that is an excellent ad. There seem to be many parallels between Mr. E and Hublot as a brand, not the least of which is the controversy both have created for themselves, and yet both are quite successful and both are quite good at what they do/produce. Both share a general story of a very rapid and hard earned rise from obscurity to great achievement.

I see that ad as Hublot not only drawing parallels between itself as a brand and Mr. E, but also as Hublot laughing at itself and at its naysayers. It's pretty clear that there's an underlying message regarding the comments of Hublot's arguably unattractive appearance, and yet the watch, as pictured, looks quite nice. It's also apparent that Hublot is offering a nod of appreciation to its supporters.

Personally, I like that ad and it's "You and the horse you rode in on can go to Hell" tone.

All the best.

I love those who can smile in trouble...
- Leonardo da Vinci

·
Registered
540 Posts
My god, that's one of the most disgusting advertisements of any kind that I've ever seen. The people that thought up, designed, and approved that should be publically stoned&#8230;
Looks like Bernie came to Hublot with the idea.. Still very strange they thought it fitting to put this ad out.

F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone is battered face of new ad for £200k Hublot watch | Mail Online
You do realise the simple fact you are all reposting the image and (violently) discussing it is validating the creative work right?

It's obvious the creative aims at 'chocking' the audience, and it just works :) And I am also sure the people reacting negatively are the ones who would have never bought a Hublot in the first place. I imagine sometime in the future, someone from the thousands searching 'hublot' in google image search wll be seeing this ad and thinking 'I like their style, fight for your watch, hit people in the face lol, that's a fun brand compared to the boring classic luxury messaging'.

You just enabled this by reposting it 3 times. You made the brand bigger, and more controversial, and cooler for some people :)

21 - 40 of 122 Posts