WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to buy a watch around $1,000 and now I'm considering between...

1. Longines Conquest L888 movement
2. Hamilton Jazzmaster ETA 2892 / 2895 movement

Which one has a better movement and worth for my money ?

·
Premium Member
7,212 Posts
Which one has a better movement
The L888 (aka the ETA A31.L01) is an updated version of the ETA 2892, so the movements ar pretty similar. The A31.L01 runs at a slower beat rate and has a longer power reserve. So it's hard to say one is obviously better.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I had a L888 movement in a Master Collection, within 1spd straight out of the box irrespective of how wound down it was. Gave it to my son. It was only once I'd been on here for a while that I realised all new watches aren't like that. Anyway, sample of one so don't read too much into it, but hard to fault.
The only issue we had was trying to size the wonderfully articulate bracelet down for my son; no half links. May not be relevant for you or this watch.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I prefer Longines. You can also go on Chrono24, search for "watch", and then set the price filter between $950 and $1000. There are many watches that you may like better.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Longines over hammy for sure. There are easily 100 watches in that range though.

·
Registered
29,946 Posts
Use the search engine here. TONS of threads on this topic.

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
I agree with the Nomos suggestion.

Personally I'm not a fan of the Conquest, so out of the two in the OP I'd go with the Jazzmaster. Then again, I might prefer a Mido Multifort instead..

·
Registered
787 Posts
Rolex 6694 on the wholesale market.

·
Premium Member
21,490 Posts

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Rolex 6694 on the wholesale market.
The price you quote is considerably lower than current prices. 5 or 6 years ago I would agree with you.

I purchased a new one in 1972, cost me under 200.00 CAD.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Behold, the best watch at around $1000. Now that that is settled...

In all seriousness, there are many great watches to be had at around the $1000 mark. Between the two watches you mention, I prefer the Longines. I do not see any real drawbacks in movements used.. so go with the one you find most attractive. My lousy .02c

·
Registered
68 Posts
Behold, the best watch at around $1000. Now that that is settled...

View attachment 15441239

In all seriousness, there are many great watches to be had at around the $1000 mark. Between the two watches you mention, I prefer the Longines. I do not see any real drawbacks in movements used.. so go with the one you find most attractive. My lousy .02c
I find the Sinn to be a very close second....but if I can't have both, I'd go with the Damasko. I'd probably wait til their new A26 movement comes out to get one (which would undoubtedly push it of $1000), but the DS30 would be my pick with ETA movement.

·
Registered
480 Posts
There are 1000 watches for $1000 and they are all equally awesome!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Buy a nice vintage omega off flea bay.enjoy it with the knowledge its an investment.i did this for several years.infact still am doing it.had some great pieces and flipped them.made a hobby.worn watches i couldnt believe i owned.there arnt really any good new watches at $1000 mark,just my opinion,aim higher but do it crafty.best ov luck,chok diii kap

·
Registered
814 Posts
This conquest (39mm)
5D46044E-B456-46FC-976A-E7DC284740AC.jpeg

Or this Jazzmaster (40mm)
F2C8C292-FD1E-4AD9-BD9D-24B9FC9E7C8B.jpeg

The Jazzmaster serves a purpose And gets wrist time but the longines is both better finished and higher quality. If I had to pick one, it would be Longines all day but the Hamilton is no slouch for the price paid (especially grey market)

the Longines is a modified 2892 while the Hamilton is a modified 2824. Overall, the longines is a better watch and more versatile. Of These particular models, the Jazzmaster only has 50m WR vs 300m for the Conquest. Both are around 12mm thick, though the Hamilton is slightly thinner. Lug to Lug in both is around 47mm I think.
The Longines gains 2-3spd and the Hamilton gains around 5spd so I can’t complain about accuracy with either.

neither have strong lume but the longines has rhodium plated hands and enough lume to make it legible almost through the night. The Hamilton has lumed indices and hands. The lume on the indices is utterly useless and the hands have limited legibility.
image.jpg
image.jpg

the SARB033 was a good watch for the 3-400 they sold for up until last year. I had one and sold it, it was ok for the price paid but overhyped overall. It is not a $500+ watch.

·
Registered
600 Posts
If lume is important, then it is a consideration. I have 2 tritium watches so I don’t think about lume on other watches. There’s no comparison. So for me, the Hamilton is a way nicer looking watch. The numerals are nicer, indices have more style and the dial is awesome. Longines is nice but a bit more plain. The Hammy has got the it factor for me. Good luck

1 - 20 of 36 Posts