WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my Explorer II in a Face to face from a seller found locally here on WUS some years ago. I still have it and love it. When I was checking the watch out I had a LED flashlight and it took me 10 minutes to find the crown on the crystal.

I just spent another 10 minutes trying to look for it because there is another Rolex I want to check out and wanted to get practice. Well I don't remember what angle I had it but for the life of me, I couldn't see the micro crown. I also grabbed a UV light I use for lum charging and still couldn't see it.

Is there a certain angle/technique to reveal that little crown? Thanks

·
Registered
193 Posts
Just hold it in your hands in direct natural light and move the watch slowly back and
forth so the crystal moves through different angles. I find a 45 degree angle
works best, but I can't be precise.

There are fakes that have this feature now so it's only an indicator that the crystal
is genuine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you don’t have a loupe, the iPhone camera at max zoom is helpful. Then use a flashlight and hold it flush against the face but only from the midpoint up towards 12; leaving the bottom half exposed. Look at the 6 position from an off angles. You will see it if it exists on your crystal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
The best way I’ve found is to hold a light source at the same level and shine from the side. Using a loupe or magnifier from above move up and down until it comes in to view. If you can see it too easily it’s a fake :)

·
Registered
9,041 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you don’t have a loupe, the iPhone camera at max zoom is helpful. Then use a flashlight and hold it flush against the face but only from the midpoint up towards 12; leaving the bottom half exposed. Look at the 6 position from an off angles. You will see it if it exists on your crystal.

THIS! Thanks! Got it!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha, so it's good I am having difficulty finding it. I wonder if the counterfeiters are faking the engraving or just buying real crystals.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I’ve had a few watches serviced before the f’king virus and each came back with an official Rolex sapphire crystal but without the laser etched crown. I threw a fit and they swapped them out.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I’ve had a few watches serviced before the f’king virus and each came back with an official Rolex sapphire crystal but without the laser etched crown. I threw a fit and they swapped them out.

Please post a pic as they have different crowns. Be nice to see one.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Haha, so it's good I am having difficulty finding it. I wonder if the counterfeiters are faking the engraving or just buying real crystals.
Making their own crystals. The different Chinese factories have different standards and some are nearly indistinguishable from genuine. The guys in the replica sites could tell you which Chinese factory like; Noob, BP, ZZF, ARF, and a couple others that have different for patterns that can fool all but the best Rolex men.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I find natural sunlight to be the best way to get it, holding it at an angle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts