WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am looking at buying a watch from the UK, however it seems shipping is about 5x that what I pay from the US to New Zealand. Any recommendations? The piece I'm looking at is roughly $2,500USD

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
710 Posts
i'm fairly certain it will have to go by either Plane or Boat, certainly too far to swim, and I'm not sure if there's an interstate between the two.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I live in NZ. I've never had something that expensive shipped from overseas but probably my best experience has been with Fedex. It took 4 days (including a weekend) to get from Texas to Auckland which I was quite impressed with. It is quite expensive though and I imagine even more so to insure the shipment. I've had a few thing shipped from the US using DHL and I was also really impressed with that but, once again, it is fairly expensive.

If I was getting something that expensive shipped from overseas then I would personally go for a trusted international company like Fedex or DHL even if it costs a bit more.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Postage is one of the downsides of living in NZ.

I currently live in Christchurch, but I'm from the UK originally. Can't say I've never purchased a watch from the UK since being in NZ (4 years)... so I'm not sure what to suggest. It's nice to see that some kiwis are interested in watches though! I hope you find a solution to your problem soon.

Best,

Zac

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just sent a watch to Singapore from the UK using Royal Mail Airsure. For a 5 day service it cost £13 which is brilliant. The pakage was small though as there was no box but that was it fully insured.

If you have a weight i could maybe get you a quote.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I'd suggest DHL... Fedex can sometimes lose track of where NZ is and take a very long time to deliver. DHL will be a 2-hop by air to either Auckland or Chch then inland delivery by NZ Post, so very efficient.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I would recommend DHL. I never imported watches, only straps and tools, but experience was very good.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I think the major problem you (or the seller) will find is that it is nigh on impossible to get insurance from any carrier for that amount from the UK to almost anywhere. Royal Mail/Parcelforce only insure up to £500 and that costs extra. After that you are looking at Fedex as being about the cheapest (that I've found) for their Economy service. I'm pretty sure once again though that they won't offer extra insurance on watches/jewelry.

Of course, if you don't mind it getting shipped uninsured then Royal Mail Airsure or International Signed For are pretty reliable. I've posted lots of watches abroad and never had an issue. Myself though, I wouldn't use them for something that valuable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts