WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am by no means a Rolex person (don't nearly have the funds at age 17) and am merely curious:

If I wanted to get a Rolex as cheaply as possible (MSRP, not used or fake) which one would I buy?

Air King? Datejust?

Reactions: Harpo and Steveenay

·
Premium Member
11,949 Posts
I am by no means a Rolex person (don't nearly have the funds at age 17) and am merely curious:

If I wanted to get a Rolex as cheaply as possible (MSRP, not used or fake) which one would I buy?

Air King? Datejust?
This is similar to asking, "What is the cheapest Bentley." Even the least expensive model is pretty pricey. But no one who knows anything about horology or value would buy a particular Rolex because it is at the bottom of the price list. If one intends to spend several thousands of dollars on a watch, the choice of which watch should survey a wide range of factors, and price really should not be one of them.

And, at least for me, the only acceptable way for a 17-year-old to acquire a Rolex is to receive it as a gift, so price wouldn't matter.

Rob

·
Registered
963 Posts
Both the Air-King at a size of 34mm and the Oyster Perpetual at 36mm can be bought new for around 5,000.

Either of these can reliably be found on the used market for half that..

·
Registered
678 Posts
An Air King or Oyster Perpetual would be at the low end of the Rolex price scale. But they're not that much cheaper than other watches in the lineup. The price of entry is so high that the marginal cost of 'moving up' to a Sub or Explorer is not a big deal. If you want an Air King that's great. But don't go to all the trouble of saving 5k and settling when you could get something that you'd be happier with for 6 or 7k, that way madness lies.

·
Registered
820 Posts
If you really like the Air King, they honestly go for about $2-3k pre-owned. Clean it up and it's a brand new $5k watch.
New luxury watches are not the way to go when looking for affordability

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
This is similar to asking, "What is the cheapest Bentley." Even the least expensive model is pretty pricey. But no one who knows anything about horology or value would buy a particular Rolex because it is at the bottom of the price list. If one intends to spend several thousands of dollars on a watch, the choice of which watch should survey a wide range of factors, and price really should not be one of them.

And, at least for me, the only acceptable way for a 17-year-old to acquire a Rolex is to receive it as a gift, so price wouldn't matter.

Rob
I'm with Rob on this one.

·
Registered
218 Posts
You're 17 buying a Rolex is a little ridiculous. I think a Rolex is something you purchase when you've worked hard and earned it. Which unless you have been making soccer balls in the Philippines since age 9 I doubt you have. Only other acceptable way would be if it was passed down to you.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Your best route is to get a used Rolex. Check the sales forum here and you will have an idea how much a used Rolex cost. Atleast have 5k imo. This is what I think. I consider those young people owning a Rolex very very lucky, since they are able to enjoy their watch much much longer. But remember this, it's a huge amount, I bet your Parents will object even if you use your own money. I know my Mom used to scold me when I was your age. Lol. A Rolex was my dream watch. And still is, until now. I just can't pull the trigger though, so I just settled with my second choice.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
When I was your age (17) I had a pretty good job for a teenager. I spent ALL my money on cars.
Looking back on things I kind of wish I would have put enough aside for a nice Air king or Explorer 1016.
However, I knew nothing about watches so just wasted my money on hot rods.
Now the cars are gone and I only have the memories. A nice Rolex I could have carried with me all those years
and would last forever.

Buy your Rolex!

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
When I was your age (17) I had a pretty good job for a teenager. I spent ALL my money on cars.
Looking back on things I kind of wish I would have put enough aside for a nice Air king or Explorer 1016.
However, I knew nothing about watches so just wasted my money on hot rods.
Now the cars are gone and I only have the memories. A nice Rolex I could have carried with me all those years
and would last forever.

Buy your Rolex!

I've read this 30 years too late! lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not going to buy one any time soon, im just curious!

·
Registered
47 Posts

Rob
Hello Rob,

I do not agree with you on that one.
i'm 16 years old and i've bought myself a submariner and a speedmaster professional.
I bought them both with my own money savings. I got the money from working hours and hours in a bakery and by investing my money smart. In my opinion there is nothing nicer than buying something with the money you've worked for EVEN at the age of 16/17.

Gr goedhart

·
Premium Member
11,949 Posts
Hello Rob,

I do not agree with you on that one.
i'm 16 years old and i've bought myself a submariner and a speedmaster professional.
I bought them both with my own money savings. I got the money from working hours and hours in a bakery and by investing my money smart. In my opinion there is nothing nicer than buying something with the money you've worked for EVEN at the age of 16/17.

Gr goedhart
I think it's wonderful that you have worked hard and saved your money to buy things you really want. When I was 16 I worked 45 hours a week as a welder in a factory so that I could have a car, since my father did not believe in giving one to me (and it was a '65 Mustang, a classic I wish I still owned o|). Your work ethic and thrift will serve you well in life.

There also is nothing wrong with you owning Rolexes that you bought with your hard-earned money. It's just that, as someone who is four times your age, I think there are wiser uses for the thousands of dollars you spent on those watches, such as saving for your college education (which likely will include graduate school and that ain't cheap).

There is nothing nicer than graduating from medical school (or whatever profession might interest you more) without a cent of debt. Trust me, it will be far more satisfying than the pleasure you got from buying those watches.

Rob

·
Registered
47 Posts
I think it's wonderful that you have worked hard and saved your money to buy things you really want. When I was 16 I worked 45 hours a week as a welder in a factory so that I could have a car, since my father did not believe in giving one to me (and it was a '65 Mustang, a classic I wish I still owned o|). Your work ethic and thrift will serve you well in life.

There also is nothing wrong with you owning Rolexes that you bought with your hard-earned money. It's just that, as someone who is four times your age, I think there are wiser uses for the thousands of dollars you spent on those watches, such as saving for your college education (which likely will include graduate school and that ain't cheap).

There is nothing nicer than graduating from medical school (or whatever profession might interest you more) without a cent of debt. Trust me, it will be far more satisfying than the pleasure you got from buying those watches.

Rob

Hello Rob,

I know what i'm doing :). My dad pays for the educating, so do not worry :)

Gr

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cheapest Rolexes are probably the Air King or Cellini.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Hello Rob,

I know what i'm doing :). My dad pays for the educating, so do not worry :)

Gr
And there we have it.

Realize you are fortunate and not every 17 year old can save to buy Rolex instead of a car or save for college. I thought I knew what I was doing at 16, again at 18 and again at 25. Now in my thirties I realize I had no clue.

Edit for clarification: I hate to sound like preaching. I like you I did not have to pay for college, cars, bills and all that goes along with responsibility in high school and college. I worked during the summers but that money did not go towards Rolex... After college I maned up and payed for all my expenses, including paying my parents back for much that they had given me. All in all everybody spends their money on what they like. My money I saved and worked hard for at your age went to traveling- spring breaks, ski trips, a month cross country, etc.

Enjoy your watches! If that is what floats your boat at that age, welcome.

·
Registered
112 Posts
And there we have it.

Realize you are fortunate and not every 17 year old can save to buy Rolex instead of a car or save for college. I thought I knew what I was doing at 16, again at 18 and again at 25. Now in my thirties I realize I had no clue.

Edit for clarification: I hate to sound like preaching. I like you I did not have to pay for college, cars, bills and all that goes along with responsibility in high school and college. I worked during the summers but that money did not go towards Rolex... After college I maned up and payed for all my expenses, including paying my parents back for much that they had given me. All in all everybody spends their money on what they like. My money I saved and worked hard for at your age went to traveling- spring breaks, ski trips, a month cross country, etc.

Enjoy your watches! If that is what floats your boat at that age, welcome.
Don't underestimate how much cheaper college education is here in Europe. Here in the UK you can complete your degree for about the same cost as one year of college eduction in the States (well you could, until the recent 3x price increase in University courses, but most of Europe remains relatively inexpensive)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts