WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everybody! I have heard of a 'gravimeter' mentioned once or twice. Apparently it's on the back of some Alphas? What are they talking about? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Re: What is the (in)fanous Alpha Gravimeter?

It's a highly important piece of technology that informs you of the fact that you are, still, quite assuredly... on Earth. b-)

Or, admittedly, if you were to find yourself teleported to someplace with a different gravity, it would inform you of the fact that you were now no longer on Earth :-!

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Seriously? That's awesome. I need one of these. I mean, I think I'm on earth, but how can I be 100% sure???

It's a highly important piece of technology that informs you of the fact that you are, still, quite assuredly... on Earth. b-)

Or, admittedly, if you were to find yourself teleported to someplace with a different gravity, it would inform you of the fact that you were now no longer on Earth :-!

·
Moderator: F72 and F71
8,222 Posts

:-! :-d :-! :-d !!! Quote of the Month !!! :-d :-! :-d :-! :-d

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,626 Posts
Hi everybody! I have heard of a 'gravimeter' mentioned once or twice. Apparently it's on the back of some Alphas? What are they talking about? Thanks!
It's actually a kind of anti-theft device, whereby the auto-winding rotor is attached to a dial on the inside of the caseback, thereby making it damn near impossible to remove the movement intact :-d

Not sure how it measures gravy though :think:

·
Registered
27,026 Posts

It's probably EVEN MORE useful than the year subdial on the Carbon :-d

:roll:

·
Registered
27,026 Posts
You have to dip the bottom dial in the gravy, and vibrate it. The viscosity than will implicitly reveal the fat content, and thus give an indication of the quality.

Or sometin' :-d
:-d :-d

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Actually, a gravimeter will tell you what latitude you are on, if it is sensitive enough.

Since the Earth is not a true sphere, the distance from the surface to the center of the Earth decreases as you move north or south from the equator. As the distance decreases, the gravitational acceleration increases, so by measuring the local gravitational acceleration, we should be able the calculate the latitude, provided we know our altitude above the mean sea level.

Similarly, a gravimeter will allow you to calculate your altitude from mean sea level, if we know our latitude.

Or, it will tell you that you are standing over a oil field....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts