NO DATE!
Blue dial
Stainless bezel
40 mm diameter
11 mm thick
Applied indices
”Non standard” hands
Really cool center seconds hand
28,800 bph movement (this one has an ETA 2892, but any 28,800 movement is acceptable)
The band looks nice, but I would replace it with a leather or rubber strap with a deployment clasp

I’m sure it’s worth the asking price of $1,500, but I can’t justify spending more than around $500.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
675 Posts
My experience is that if you shouldn’t rely on alternatives. Save for the one you really like.
The cheaper alternatives I have bought have all been replaced with the “real deal” over time, but at a loss.

Not entirely an answer to your question though - sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
Some nth models, maybe the Odin. Just look around the micro world to will see plenty of alternatives.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
It’s funny I thought the same thing ...but then I saw one in the flesh and decided its probably worth the price. Nick makes a nice watch. Its well finished, crazy thin and unique enough you likely won’t find anything very similar. That Sea Ranger looks nice but the beauty of the Calamity is its 11mm or something like the NTH which is around that.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Resale on the Calamity looks tough, I see one on the forum for $875. Scares me as a serial flipper...
Micro resale is generally pretty bad. There's no "grey market" for micros, so you always pay "retail", but they depreciate, relative to retail price, as much as most any other watch does on the used market. You'll take just as much of a hit if you bought an Oris at or near retail price and tried to flip it. Difference is, Orises are typical available on the grey market for 50-60% of retail price and a used grey market Oris sells for about as much as a used one bought from an AD.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
872 Posts
Micro resale is generally pretty bad. There's no "grey market" for micros, so you always pay "retail", but they depreciate, relative to retail price, as much as most any other watch does on the used market. You'll take just as much of a hit if you bought an Oris at or near retail price and tried to flip it. Difference is, Orises are typical available on the grey market for 50-60% of retail price and a used grey market Oris sells for about as much as a used one bought from an AD.
I know how it works, been flipping for years. If course depreciation is a given but this much is not the norm in my personal experience.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
wait for more live pics, who knows, tastes are.. dynamic.

I'd say wait and go for the orion second hand, but, honestly, though I agree with the opinions above, on this particular case, I won't advise it,
you may find one second hand for 50% less, even, but it may take 6 months to never until you see one come up for sale in your desired configuration.
save up, hope for a Christmas sale or something, or just forget the orion,
a different direction will be more satisfying in the end if you can't shake off the 'comprise' feel about whatever else you get

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It’s funny I thought the same thing ...but then I saw one in the flesh and decided its probably worth the price. Nick makes a nice watch. Its well finished, crazy thin and unique enough you likely won’t find anything very similar. That Sea Ranger looks nice but the beauty of the Calamity is its 11mm or something like the NTH which is around that.
I’m sure it’s worth the price; it’s just that I can’t justify spending $1,500 on a watch I might wear occasionally on the weekends. If I only wore one watch, I could see this one being it, but this forum has made me like watches so much I can’t wear just one watch. I really do like how thin it is. I looked, but can’t seem to find the thickness of the Sea Ranger- anybody know?

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
this forum has made me like watches so much I can’t wear just one watch.
worked the other way around for me, made me realise I was only half enjoying watches.
don't lose focus man,
besides, that'll cost you much more in the mid-run than to just get what you really want

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don’t mind the six o’clock crown; if the H2O had the bezel of the Orion, I would buy it, but the bezel on the H2O looks a little clownish or something- I can’t really pin down why I don’t like the bezel on the H2O, but something just doesn’t look right about it. Maybe it would look better in person.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think I figured out what I don’t like about the bezel. I think it’s the “sunburst” look- it looks beautiful on th dial, but not on the bezel. Maybe “sunburst” isn’t the right description, but it’s the look of the surface finish that looks a little over the top or something.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts