WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I got a 1970's Hamilton Atlas Electronic watch from the local pawn shop for a low price. I opened the back of the watch to replace the dead battery and inside was a old Union Carbide 343 mercury battery. I replaced it with a silver oxide 344 battery and the watch fired right up. It has been keeping excellent time (on point with the atomic clock). The watch was made from 1973 to 1977(according to the Hamilton catalogs I found) and has a Hamilton 702 movement in it.

The watch came with its original metal bracelet but the bracelet is too big for me and I have no clue how to size it. The original owner did not know how to do so ether so he just adjusted it to the last micro adjustment hole on the clasp. this has damaged the clasp so it opens to easy. I switched it out for a gold plated mesh band and put the original one away.

Now that I get a good look at the watch with this band, it has to be the most gaudiest watch I own.

So what is the most gaudiest or over the top looking watch in your collection?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
What is the most gaudy watch in my collection? Guess I should be happy I haven't got an answer for that... Although on second thoughts, I do-could well be this one:
poljot 1.JPG

I've bought that lovely piece of 1970s kitsch at a flea market, it was a bargain... Besides, a wrist alarm- who wouldn't want one? Especially when you can have a desirable complication for the worth of a few packets of smokes (well, I thought so before I managed to finally quit smoking)... The dial was pristine, the plating worn, but no dents or scratches- just rubbed off due to extensive wear, someone must have liked that watch a lot. The alarm is, I jest you not, loud as hell- would wake up a dead man, methinks. Especially when you put it on a wooden surface, it doesn't go easy on the ears.

The movement was all nice and clean, so it was another reason to get it...
poljot 3.JPG

Fell out of love with it, though. Too gaudy, almost like a knitted tank-top. Dunno, I may sell it or trade it for something else some day, for now it's in the drawer. Guess I have a hard time letting go even a watch that I like the least.
poljot 2.JPG

Only lacks a gold bracelet- it would make a great part of a "Magpie Starter Pack" if it only had one.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
That's an easy one for me, the Lucien Rochat 'Sir Elton' special, the redeeming feature of this watch is that it is powered by a moon-phase 7751. This maker was apparently popular with the Italians.

elton2- 004.JPG

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I have another hot candidate and possible favorite in the race for the gaudy-champion: A Delma Automatic from the 1970s, NOS.

How do you know a watch is new old stock?

It has been purchased as such in Switzerland (like this one)?
It has been provably misplaced at a jewelers place or in the warehouse of the manufacturer?
A watchmaker passed away and had been found years later together with his unsold merchandise?

Well, everything undoubtedly good indications, but this is all topped by this one: A watch is so ugly that is highly plausible that it has not been sold after all those years.

Its impressive size, both long and wide, is only topped by its thickness, largely overtowering the ring on King Henry VIII’s middle finger.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 45 Posts