WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 248 Posts

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I am awaiting delivery of my Zelos Blacktip Timekeeper with a forged carbon dial. I have little doubt it will be superb, especially after reading the reviews. However, it has cost me about £500 ($620), and whilst I own many watches made in Asia, it's the most I have spent on one. In actual fact, I have been looking at the Blacktip for a while, and it's only ever been the price that previously stopped me. You see, a few weeks ago I got my hands on a Chris Ward Super Compressor, designed in the UK, made in Switzerland, with a Swiss movement, and it only cost an extra £50. I am more than aware the Chinese can produce watches that easily match some Swiss brands, and am the first to fight their corner, but somehow £500 just seams a lot of money, especially when the people who are screwing them together earn so little.

What do you think?

·
Registered
26,224 Posts
Price should be reflected in the quality of the product , the design and materials used.

Where it’s made never entered into it for me.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I bet it wasn't from Aliexpress though ;)
You do realize that Asia is not a country, right? You also realize that not all asians are Chinese, right? Just want to check, because I think these seemingly obvious facts are lost on a few westerners (including some members of my Dad's family from West Virginia).

The essence of this question is akin to asking "What is the most you would spend on a European watch?"

Um... Need a bit of clarification here. Are we talking German? Swiss? British?

But to answer your question: I one day hope to spend $10k+ on a Japanese watch (Grand Seiko or Credor). And I can certainly say that I would put more money into a Japanese watch than I would any Swiss/German/British watch.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Asia a big continent (the biggest!) with a lot of different countries and an even larger number of factories.

The most I would spend on a watch made in Asia is the same as the most I would spend on any watch. I would like to some day own a Grand Seiko (though not sure if I ever will) and I think that they are as good as anything you can find under $10,000. If I won the lottery I'd probably buy a Credor.

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
However, it has cost me about £500 ($620), and whilst I own many watches made in Asia, it's the most I have spent on one.

You see, a few weeks ago I got my hands on a Chris Ward Super Compressor, designed in the UK, made in Switzerland, with a Swiss movement, and it only cost an extra £50. I am more than aware the Chinese can produce watches that easily match some Swiss brands, and am the first to fight their corner, but somehow £500 just seams a lot of money, especially when the people who are screwing them together earn so little.
Pretty sure of two things -
That Swiss movement had its components also screwed together in Asia
Geography was not your strong suit
:)

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Realistically, the Eichi one day. Theoretically, the sky's the limit.

·
Registered
544 Posts
It's a reasonable question, except for the poorly chosen title.
@bigclive2011 already gave the answer I was thinking of.
And you're kidding yourself if you think some parts of that CWard was not made in "Asia:"... :whistle:
He still thinks that sub-$1000 "Swiss" watches are actually made in Switzerland. How cute and naïve.

Any "Swiss" watch under $1000 should actually be labeled "Made in China. Assembled in Switzerland."

1 - 20 of 248 Posts