WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 248 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Same as a Swiss or German watch. Many watch companies that use the "swiss made" label, source parts from Asia. That's just the reality of manufacturing these days. Quality is pretty much all the same.

·
Registered
Omega Speedmaster Pro, Stowa Marine 36 KS, Sinn 104
709 Posts
guess which - View attachment 15727790

and all six are Asian. Including the box (which is made in Asia even if European-branded).
Yes, those Credors are lush. But you should really show the back because those gorgeous movements is where they are at their most amazing!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Today I am awaiting delivery of my Zelos Blacktip Timekeeper with a forged carbon dial. I have little doubt it will be superb, especially after reading the reviews. However, it has cost me about £500 ($620), and whilst I own many watches made in Asia, it's the most I have spent on one. In actual fact, I have been looking at the Blacktip for a while, and it's only ever been the price that previously stopped me. You see, a few weeks ago I got my hands on a Chris Ward Super Compressor, designed in the UK, made in Switzerland, with a Swiss movement, and it only cost an extra £50. I am more than aware the Chinese can produce watches that easily match some Swiss brands, and am the first to fight their corner, but somehow £500 just seams a lot of money, especially when the people who are screwing them together earn so little.

What do you think?
$5800. (That's the exact retail price of the Grand Seiko I really want)

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
You do realize that Asia is not a country, right? You also realize that not all asians are Chinese, right? Just want to check, because I think these seemingly obvious facts are lost on a few westerners (including some members of my Dad's family from West Virginia).

The essence of this question is akin to asking "What is the most you would spend on a European watch?"

Um... Need a bit of clarification here. Are we talking German? Swiss? British?

But to answer your question: I one day hope to spend $10k+ on a Japanese watch (Grand Seiko or Credor). And I can certainly say that I would put more money into a Japanese watch than I would any Swiss/German/British watch.
Yep, entirely my fault, the thread should have read China, not Asia. Big mistake by me

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
He still thinks that sub-$1000 "Swiss" watches are actually made in Switzerland. How cute and naïve.

Any "Swiss" watch under $1000 should actually be labeled "Made in China. Assembled in Switzerland."
Far from it, I am more aware than most the vast majority of Swiss watches aren't entirely Swiss. However, taking that into account only confuses thread

·
Registered
378 Posts
I think an admirable nuance that seems to have slipped by that the OP mentioned is the question of funding a factory where the laborers are not paid very much. I have no idea what the wages actually are and I’m sure they vary quite wildly from brand to brand. Also, a job is most often better than no job, making watches no less, rather than mining coal. I think we all “tip” the service industry when we see them going above and beyond to do things for us, like food staff, a valet, or house cleaners. The implication is that the company should, and does, make money; but, the individual doing the hard work doesn’t see close to the transaction amount. A tip usually goes straight to that person.

I am impressed with the sentiment.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
You see, a few weeks ago I got my hands on a Chris Ward Super Compressor, designed in the UK, made in Switzerland, with a Swiss movement, and it only cost an extra £50.
Let's not forget that "Swiss Made" doesn't mean it's also not "Made in China."

If you're concerned about Chinese workers being underpaid or are working in sweatshops, simply buying "Swiss Made" isn't necessarily going to alleviate that issue.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I think an admirable nuance that seems to have slipped by that the OP mentioned is the question of funding a factory where the laborers are not paid very much. I have no idea what the wages actually are and I’m sure they vary quite wildly from brand to brand. Also, a job is most often better than no job, making watches no less, rather than mining coal. I think we all “tip” the service industry when we see them going above and beyond to do things for us, like food staff, a valet, or house cleaners. The implication is that the company should, and does, make money; but, the individual doing the hard work doesn’t see close to the transaction amount. A tip usually goes straight to that person.

I am impressed with the sentiment.
In other context, I may interpret the sentiment the way you did, where skilled labor should be compensated accordingly.

In my mind, that requires the consumers' willingness to pay for the additional costs well, which sadly seems to be a value lacking for most consumers. Edvidently the title of this thread seem to inquire as to the maximum one is willing to pay based on country/continent of origin.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Since I own 10 Japanese watches and have never considered a European watch, my answer is:

Infinitely more than a European watch

Yep, entirely my fault, the thread should have read China, not Asia. Big mistake by me
That’s a big difference. If it’s an original design or something cool, I’d say $200. If it’s a copy/homage, not interested as the Japanese alternative are not that more expensive (Orient Mako 2, Kamasu, etc)

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
You do realize that Asia is not a country, right? You also realize that not all asians are Chinese, right? Just want to check, because I think these seemingly obvious facts are lost on a few westerners (including some members of my Dad's family from West Virginia).

The essence of this question is akin to asking "What is the most you would spend on a European watch?"

Um... Need a bit of clarification here. Are we talking German? Swiss? British?

But to answer your question: I one day hope to spend $10k+ on a Japanese watch (Grand Seiko or Credor). And I can certainly say that I would put more money into a Japanese watch than I would any Swiss/German/British watch.
I remember coming back home to the U.S. after living in Korea for years and visiting my grandma. We were talking about stuff I missed and when we got on the subject of food I mentioned I wanted to eat Chinese for dinner and she replied, "What? Chinese!? You just got back from Korea!"

Reactions: Tanker G1
21 - 40 of 248 Posts