WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watching the poll with great interest and anticipation, I am shocked by the number of people who are voting for the addition of the HRV! I can't imagine more than 5 or 6 of the people voting for the HRV are professional divers that actually spend time in a helium saturated environment. So why the great interest? I understand that Doxa helped pioneer the HRV. However, to me, Doxa dive watches are about practicality and functionality. Adding a HRV is just another hole in the watch that can cause problems in the long run. Am I missing something? Thanks.
- Dawg182

·
Registered
11,829 Posts
As in the auto industry, space, aircraft and other varied environments, I doubt we will ever (at least in our lifetime) see complete automation and total elimination of the human element in commercial diving.

That said, a watch may in fact be redundant for diving, with all the other choices available. But some will always want one. And as to the HRV, first off it is an historic thing. Yes. Doxa was the first to pioneer one. Also, there are some who actually do have use for it for their work (you've seen some post here).

Last, no one is suggesting they put an HRV in every model (they never did). Just that they make one available. Now what I wonder, is with so many bringing up the needlessness of the HRV, why is no one speaking on the uselessness of exceptional depth ratings (1000m vs. 750m, which is better, and why? :-s). Same type of thing with 200mph streetable automobiles. Some just want 'em!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As in the auto industry, space, aircraft and other varied environments, I doubt we will ever (at least in our lifetime) see complete automation and total elimination of the human element in commercial diving.

That said, a watch may in fact be redundant for diving, with all the other choices available. But some will always want one. And as to the HRV, first off it is an historic thing. Yes. Doxa was the first to pioneer one. Also, there are some who actually do have use for it for their work (you've seen some post here).

Last, no one is suggesting they put an HRV in every model (they never did). Just that they make one available. Now what I wonder, is with so many bringing up the needlessness of the HRV, why is no one speaking on the uselessness of exceptional depth ratings (1000m vs. 750m, which is better, and why? :-s). Same type of thing with 200mph streetable automobiles. Some just want 'em!
T-Bone,
A 200 mph streetable automobile usually has good 0-60mph pick-up and there is the possibility of brining the car someplace that allows you to go that fast. As for the depth rating, THANKFULLY only 14 people have voted for a deeper rating ... which I agree is useless. I am concerned about the HRV because it is getting a high number of votes and I would be sad to see Doxa wasting time on a useless function when there are so many more practicable problems at hands (e.g., T-graph with pushers that function underwater).

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Technically I think that the industry should follow Seiko's lead and use the gaskets to function as the HRV like in the Tuna Can. I admit Omega's screw out HRV is kind of goofy.

Now as to the practicality of dive watches, Unless it was issued to you by your employer or was considered a necessary tool (like mechanics tools), how many of you would take a $2000 to $10000 watch in harms way? There is only a tiny community of people out there that need 90% of the features we see on higher end dive watches. If you want to be practical, then all we really need for recreational diving are 200M Seiko divers or better still Casio G-Shocks (which I own and consider real bargains). Besides how many watches can you wear at one time without looking like you're mentally unhinged?:-d:-d:-d. This whole over engineering thing started with lawyers and the definition of water resistance:think:. Why can't they call a watch like the Seawolf Avenger waterproof? Unless you've got a red S on your chest you ain't gonna be doing any personal evaluation to 3000 M.:-d:-d:-d:-d So why do I collect dive watches? Cause I can:-d:-d. So to any of you out there with Tuna Cans You don't need no stinking HRV:-d:-d and to everyone else go for it.|>|>

Joe

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Why spend 2000 dollars on a watch which tells the time less accurately than a 15 dollar one from Walmart?

Field of dreams..... build it and they will come :)

Pete

·
Registered
329 Posts
I could care less if they reissue the Conquistador-I already have mine.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I personally don't really care to have one with the HRV but I think that if there is enough interest, Doxa should make it for the ones that want one. Granted, most people will never need this feature, but look at all of the consumer products out there that has features or gadgets that don't get used. People just want the option to have it whether or not they ever use it. I say go for it.

Wayne

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have an Omega Moon Watch, but I doubt I will ever see outer space! I have never used the alarm feature on my Fortis. The list goes on. Why did I get these watches? They look cool, not many other people have them, they are great timepieces, etc... Everyone wants a watch for different reasons.

Many collectors and non-collectors get watches with as many complications as possible, and they would be the ones who also buy a DOXA with a HRV.

Some people, even get them just to tell time (or so I have heard):-s While we are at this point, most of us do not even need a second hand:)

·
Registered
130 Posts
I think there's just no need for it and the money spent on including it would be better spent on improving other areas.

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,596 Posts
Personally, I think it is smart marketing. If you see a really great diver that does saturation dives advertised in dive magazines and other places it makes people want what he is wearing. Heck, I was sold on Doxa based on this pic.....

So, whether we like it or not, Doxa will make a HRV and it will sell and it will probably stuff their pockets. I personally am glad for them. They will still sell non-HRV models. I personally think it will be rather cool. Especially if like Pete says, they come up with an appropriate name since they can't use Conquistadoro|

·
Registered
11,829 Posts
Hey, Doc Pete and Joe P.......

You guys are so mean :-d.
Okay, that's two of 'em. If I recall, the hulk of a Conquistador sold by JV recently is the only other example known to the Doxa WIS community, correct? I think we'll unearth some more examples some day..... but until then, let's let Doxa reclaim a bit of heritage with a model that will incorporate an HRV (not on ALL models guys, just on one for those who want to have it :-!).

·
Registered
319 Posts
useless option, that is why i stay away from omega diver and i bought two doxa in the past...

in a short future we will see only rov for deep sea diving,

as in manless: http://www.globalsecurity.org/intell/systems/tuwvs.htm
Unless 200 years is considered short, I highly doubt that. I work in Deep Diving, and we use ROV all the time as our SERVANTS. On the last job I came off of, we had two ROV's just standing by to observe and assist as necessary. Tell me you can have a guy sitting at a joy stick doing WELL KILLING, and I'll laugh you right out of the room. Setting a port-a-lathe in 250 fsw from a crane and cutting pile jackets off a conductor rising from the ocean floor is DIVER WORK. No ROV on earth can perform it, nor will they ever.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Technically I think that the industry should follow Seiko's lead and use the gaskets to function as the HRV like in the Tuna Can. I admit Omega's screw out HRV is kind of goofy.

* I have used watches that are Helium safe without valves in He enriched environments and have had no problems with them. However, there is still that little chink in the back of your mind that wonders if it will explode or not when decompressing. I have used my Zodiac SSW, and a Tag Heuer Super Pro in HeO2 environment with no problems. I don't see it as the way to go however.

Now as to the practicality of dive watches, Unless it was issued to you by your employer or was considered a necessary tool (like mechanics tools), how many of you would take a $2000 to $10000 watch in harms way?

* For your information, my employer has paid for a number of high dollar items that I get to keep. On the subject of a higher end watch however, I will state that I wrote my Rolex Sea Dweller off on my taxes because it is part of my equipment for my job.

There is only a tiny community of people out there that need 90% of the features we see on higher end dive watches. If you want to be practical, then all we really need for recreational diving are 200M Seiko divers or better still Casio G-Shocks (which I own and consider real bargains).

* True, if you want to be practical, don't buy a nice watch. Nobody is forcing you to buy anything.

Besides how many watches can you wear at one time without looking like you're mentally unhinged?:-d:-d:-d. This whole over engineering thing started with lawyers and the definition of water resistance:think:.

* Not really. It started with Commercial Diving. Divers have been to 2,500 feet of sea water, and Rolex was on every Divers wrist who participated in the testing. This was done by COMEX a number of years back. COMEX did as well issue Rolex Sea Dwellers to their employees. Over engineering has been a necessity for safety in Commercial Diving.

Why can't they call a watch like the Seawolf Avenger waterproof? Unless you've got a red S on your chest you ain't gonna be doing any personal evaluation to 3000 M.:-d:-d:-d:-d

* I don't know, but Rolex states (See their web page on the Sea Dweller) that the Rolex Sea Dweller is "Guaranteed Waterproof to a depth of 4000 ft / 1220 meters". Rolex tests each Sea Dweller before it leaves the factory to depth.

So why do I collect dive watches? Cause I can:-d:-d. So to any of you out there with Tuna Cans You don't need no stinking HRV:-d:-d and to everyone else go for it.|>|>

*I'll take a Doxa with a HRV please.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I think there's just no need for it and the money spent on including it would be better spent on improving other areas.
* There is no need for a 1000 meter rated dive watch either without a HRV. The only divers who go to 1000 FT or so do it in SATURATION - just where a HRV is necessary.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Hey, I think an HRV is just a cool feature I'd like to have on my dive watch, which incidently was the main reason I got the omega smp - the HRV was there and it stood out. btw, all my swimming are confined to laps of a swimming pool. :-d

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
I kind of brought up this issue in the "Dream Doxa" thread but didn't really get anyone else thinking about the idea (well maybe until now). While I understand how an HRV would be a "cool feature" I would not pay extra for one since I would never be able to use it. As for paying extra for something because it is historically significant, I think thats kind of a waste of money too - just because it has history (like famous people who wore it) does not warrant a higher price in my mind. Perhaps a history of quality, then yes. Not sure about everyone else here, but I bought my DOXAs because I enjoy the design and they are pretty well made. It had nothing to do with a history of who wore it in the past or who came up with the HRV first. As for the "no one needs a 750m or 1000m diver argument" that doesn't really hold water (no pun intended) since if DOXA made a 200m diver which looked identical to the 750T, but cost less due to lower rating, I would rather get that at a lower price.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts