WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the growing trend of massive diameters on wrist watch, what do you guys think of a perfect size for wrist watch?

dress watch ...mm
diver watch ...mm
casual watch...mm
sport watch...mm

and is there any set of rules regarding the size, for example:
if 1 owns 42mm dress watch, then the dive watch has to be bigger than 42mm.. Or the other way around?

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Preferred size will vary widely by an individual's tastes, as well as wrist size. I have small wrists and prefer a more classic watch aesthetic, so my ideal watch size tops out at about 40mm for something like a diver. 35-38mm would be more ideal for a dress watch. There is a dearth of selection of small and mid-sized watches, though, so the actual size range of my collection is more like 37-43mm, plus a couple vintage pieces at 34-35mm.

·
Registered
519 Posts
It absolutely depends on the watch. Thick bezels with small diameter dials will often make a watch appear (or wear) smaller than a smaller watch that is almost all dial.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
It depends on your wrist size and personal preference. I have an 8" wrist and consider 42-44mm to be my sweet spot, although I sometimes stray outside that range either way.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
It depends...I have a 42mm I just can't wear (it's about lug shape)...Other 42mm's are fine.
All 40mm fit fine. So, I say nothing over 42mm....But prefer 40.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
It's a matter of taste (or lack there of), I would say. It depends on the watch, it depends on the person, it depends on the attire.

In my case, as I really like older timepieces, it would say the ideal size sits between 34mm-40mm >> 37mm being the sweet spot. I do, however, have a 33mm watch that has such a thin bezel that it wears a lot larger. 42 is probably as large as I would go.

·
Premium Member
66,780 Posts
It's difficult to give a hard and fast ruling on the size. The only real way is for the wearer to try the watch on and see if it fits the wrist.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
It's a matter of taste (or lack there of), I would say. It depends on the watch, it depends on the person, it depends on the attire.

In my case, as I really like older timepieces, it would say the ideal size sits between 34mm-40mm >> 37mm being the sweet spot. I do, however, have a 33mm watch that has such a thin bezel that it wears a lot larger. 42 is probably as large as I would go.
I could probably just copy this as my answer. Oh, I just did...

·
Registered
20,990 Posts
So much goes into it, it's more than just a case width.

I have two 39mm watches that wear vastly differently. I actually wore them both yesterday and considered posting something up on how case with isn't even half the story when it comes to how something wears on the wrist.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
So much goes into it, it's more than just a case width.

I have two 39mm watches that wear vastly differently. I actually wore them both yesterday and considered posting something up on how case with isn't even half the story when it comes to how something wears on the wrist.
Maybe you should. I for one would be interested.

Reactions: alx007

·
Registered
867 Posts
I've found 39-40mm to be my sweet spot, and although it does vary based on the watch, my favorites in terms of size are in that range.

It seems to be generally accepted that dive watchers should be larger, which I think is kindof too bad because they tend to make them larger, and a lot of them are too big for me

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Depends on the watch and wrist.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
While it depends on the individual's wrist size and preferences, I'd probably say something like:

Dress: 39mm
Chronograph: 40-42mm
Diver: 42-45mm

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Whatever your heart desires for any of these, but I think anything over 50mm (probably more like 48mm) looks massively tacky imho.

·
Registered
211 Posts
46mm minimum ..... I don't wear anything smaller then that. I don't have small wrists but no matter how nice a watch looks in the box, if it looks small on my wrist I won't like it. If you gave me a 42mm Omega I wouldn't like it ..... I'm being dead serious. It may sound stupid but at 6'7" with bigger wrists a small watch doesn't look right on me in my head.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts