WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Before I drop 575 dollars on a Marathon JSAR what is the quality of this watch compared to the Seiko Skx-173?

I have always owned Seiko divers and had no problems. I was wondering from those who own the Marathon watch
about the quality of this watch compared to my trusted Seikos.

I have looked at the Seiko Sumo but I don't care for the design of the rotating bezel.

Thanks for the input.

Dale

·
Registered
249 Posts
I can't speak for the JSAR but I own a TSAR and it has been very reliable. I have heard however, and experienced this myself, that the markings on the bezel are not so sturdy, my time start triangle fell out a few weeks ago, see picture. But the tritium light source and overall build quality is IMO worth the money.

IMAG0043.jpg

·
Registered
296 Posts
My GSAR has been pretty nice. I did have to have the crown stem repaired, though. The threads stripped out. Other than that, I've had no issues with it at all. Very reliable. Accurate to +1 sec a week.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
The J-SAR is a very solid watch with the best bezel action i've seen or owned! The lume is as good as Seiko and so is the construction IMO. I have mine for about 5 years now and, even though it's never been abused, still ticking strong. No problem with lumed pip on mine (which i think was an issue on older G-SAR and SAR) On bracelet, that watch is very comfortable and for such a huge chunk of steel, is probably the most comfortable big watch I own.

I know mine is going no where!

View attachment 831189

·
Registered
729 Posts
i have had a tsar for about 7 years as a beater. I have fallen 9 feet onto hard wood floor landing on the watch hard and its still ticking fine. Its well made and of of my favorite watches ever. I like it so much since i beat the hell out of it. I just sent it away to get a new bezel because of major dents and case repolished to new.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have/have had the JSAR, CSAR, TSAR and of course the SAR, which started me on buying these and is still my favourite Marathon.
I dont use my JSAR much, but quality is just fine.
In fact all my Marathons have worked well and the watches are excellent value for money.

·
Registered
56 Posts
dont know about the JSAR, but i recently got a hold of a used TSAR and all i gotta say is that Marathon makes a well built watch...top notch

·
Registered
6,428 Posts
They are excellent watches, well made and solid. You can also buy them used on the sales forum and save yourself a bit.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I had a JSAR for a while and loved it. Then...I went on an auto movement kick and stupidly sold the JSAR. As it is now, i’ve moved to smaller diameter, 40MM, watches. In comparison to the SKX... I owned one of those too and was underwhelmed. I don’t get the SKX...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Still have one of the 1st gen JSAR's that I bought already converted to ETA 2824 auto (main part of conversion is modified mov't spacer). Thought for sure I would swap out the corndog hands for plongeurs - somehow got used to them. By current trends of 40mm, the watch is a parody of itself - but it is one of the most purpose-built professional-grade parodies you can bolt on your wrist.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I own a JDD. It’s one of the watches I will never sell. The quality is top notch. The watch has substantial wrist presence and is very easy to wear. Also it is my favourite bracelet. Quality all round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
923 Posts
I have a JDD and to echo the others, quality is top notch. I have owned the JSAR and GSAR in the past too.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts