WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What is the purpose for the 15 minute alternating/negative chapter ring on the SBGX071 and SBGX073 models? When I first saw these dials I thought they looked very much out of place on a watch meant to be worn for decades. That it was a look more suited to an inexpensive fashion watch in order to stand out and look different, but out of character for the Grand Seiko lineup, hence the question.

Maybe it is very useful if one's workday involved some repetitive activity and wanting a 15 or 30 minute visual indicator? Like a security guard that needs to switch guard posts. Or a desk worker than wants a visual reminder to stand for a moment every half hour? I am not planning to buy one but find them intriguing.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After posting this question, I began to consider this watch more seriously a few weeks later. A Grand Seiko with a 9F movement had been on my radar for a few years but I could never decide on which one to purchase. The champagne dial was an early favorite but what about the more versatile white or the more causal blue? I preferred a few the limited edition models but they are not longer available and then considered the anti-magnetic version? So I bought nothing.

I took a second look at this one after considering how I used my watches on a daily basis. Where sometimes I want to know the exact time within a few seconds. At other times I only want to know the approximate time. I had a strange idea that the 15 minute track could act as a big fat time marker in its own right. In that one often only wants to know the current time within the nearest 5/10/15 minutes. So the 90 degree dark/light track could function as a marker for determining the current time quadrant (quarter hour), with the minute hand then shading this further as a fat or skinny 15 minutes remaining. I thought it could be an interesting way to view the reading the passage of time. That the minute ring could function as a wide tick mark in its own right. That planted a seed in my mind to be explored.

So after those thoughts, I took a closer look at pictures and videos posted on the internet and begin to realize it was more about the sunburst dial being so bright and brilliant rather than my idea of it functioning as a 15 minute marker. That the minute track was meant to provide some contrast rather than a grossly wide time marker. Still I found the watch interesting so I decided to buy one.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have only had the watch for a few days and have not adjusted the bracelet yet. My initial impression is that the different colored minute ring was done for contrast and readability.

My second impression after only a little bit of wrist time is that the contrasting minute ring was done to help the wearer mentally orient the watch dial for quickly reading the time. Since the hour markers are all very similar, as one rotates their wrist through space upward to their eyes in order to get a reading, the alternating 15 minute ring gives a solid frame of reference in order to read the time. Without this frame of reference it would take a few more sub-seconds to determine the hour/minute hand position to read the time. So I think the primary function is to make the time easy to read.

I think a secondary function is purely aesthetics, in that the minute ring's static dark/light contrast echos the dynamic dark/light contrast of the sunburst dial. Like other watches with a sunburst dial, the bright burst of light can be as narrow as a few degrees up to nearly 180 degrees so it is all very fluid. But it does give a feeling of echoing the minute ring. The brilliance of the dial also means that the minute ring fades into the background and is much less noticeable than what is seen in stock photos on the internet. The stock pictures appear to have been made in a light box or using other diffuse light sources, not your typical real world lighting conditions. So the contrast of the minute ring is not very strong in real life as it is in most photographs.

A few pictures taken in outdoor light. This was near sunset in a combination of direct and indirect light.
SBGX071 IMG_20170515_182819.jpg
SBGX071 IMG_20170515_182822.jpg
SBGX071 IMG_20170515_182825.jpg
SBGX071 IMG_20170515_182932.jpg
SBGX071 IMG_20170515_182956.jpg

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Great pics coffee! Really unique and beautiful quartz GS I've never seen before. Great choice

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Unlike a GMT that has a night color between 6pm and 6am and a day color between 6am and 6pm, this apparently is a narcolepsy version for someone who drifts off to sleep every 15 minutes. Of course this is pure speculation on my part. Just trying to connect the dots.

Enjoy the watch. Its got a good look to it.

·
Registered
20,576 Posts
I guess that it's just for the look.

Sent from my LG-H630 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
3,022 Posts
Congratulations. I have looked at it and always liked the watch. I think it would be a great every day watch. I just thought the quarter hour coloring gave it a "sporty" look like a few of the Seiko 5s. I am going to look more seriously at it for myself. I hope you enjoy it, it looks great.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Congratulations on your new GS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
225 Posts
I love those GS quartz watches! The second hand moves each second, like other quartz watches, but it is so much more solid and stately as it marches around the dial. A real pleasure to watch!

Enjoy the watch. It looks great!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts