Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Looks like a styling cue.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
I think the red parts are to further insulate the watch, in other words, more shock absorption material. I think it was added since the metal construction of the watch may make it slightly more susceptible to shock than your typical resin square. That said, I think the extra padding is just a safety precaution and is likely still pretty shock resistant due to its "floating" module design.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
As Ottovan mentions, the red resin part of the LAYERED construction...
The G-STEEL’s layered guard structure featuring a double bezel construction of stainless steel and resin developed with NANOALLOY® technology offers a mixture of protection and impact absorption.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
The G-STEEL’s layered guard structure featuring a double bezel construction of stainless steel and resin developed with NANOALLOY® technology offers a mixture of protection and impact absorption.
On my GST 310d the red color is black..
profile thickness by toypoodleKimi, on Flickr

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the red parts are to further insulate the watch, in other words, more shock absorption material. I think it was added since the metal construction of the watch may make it slightly more susceptible to shock than your typical resin square. That said, I think the extra padding is just a safety precaution and is likely still pretty shock resistant due to its "floating" module design.
That may be true for the GMW, since the red part is part of the lug where the screw bar goes through. But the one for the MTG-B1000 does look like some sort of breakaway system to minimize injury in case the watch is caught and pulling on the wearer's wrist with strong forces.

From this diagram you can see a metal end piece is connected to the lug with a screw bar. Then the band is secured to the end piece with 3 screws.
MTGB1000_7.jpg

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
That may be true for the GMW, since the red part is part of the lug where the screw bar goes through. But the one for the MTG-B1000 does look like some sort of break away system to minimize injure in case the watch is caught and pulling on the wearer's wrist with strong forces.

From this diagram you can see a metal end piece is connected to the lug with a screw bar. Then the band is secure to the end piece with 3 screws.
View attachment 13573454
Oh, I thought you were referring mostly to the red layer underneath the metal bezel. I'm inclined to agree with you. If it were a metal connective part, the watch may not detach easily if it were caught in machinery. Casio's design team likely thought of safety as they designed these watches, which is awesome considering G-Shock's blue collar origins as a watch designed for folks who do may work in construction.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, here I am typing my post again, since the one I posted minutes ago disappeared for unknown reason. What Otto said may be true for the GMW, since the red piece is part of the lug where the screw bar goes through. The MTG-B1000 however, it does look like some sort of breakaway system to prevent injury in case the watch is caught and pulling on the wearer's wrist with strong forces.

The diagram below shows a metal end piece is connected to the MTG-B1000's lug via a screw bar. Then the band is secured to the end piece with 3 screws.
MTGB1000_7.jpg

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
Woah, what's wrong with the forum? I made a post here and Otto replied to my post, then suddenly both posts are gone!
LOL I thought I was going crazy. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed. I was basically agreeing with you since I didn't realize you were mostly referring to the red connective part. I thought it's likely a nod by Casio designers at G-Shock's blue collar origins: creating a failsafe in case the watch gets caught in machinery.

Reactions: Dr. Wong

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
On my GST 310d the red color is black..
profile thickness by toypoodleKimi, on Flickr
The black part found on your GSteel is not the same material as the red parts found on for instance the GMW-B5000 and some other models such as the new MTG and also on the GD-X6900. The material found on the GSteel is regular PUR/Polyurethane resin in a sandwich configuration. The red parts on the GMW-B5000 are made of a nanotech special silicone material with superior antivibration and bouncing properties developed by Taica Corporation for maximal shock and vibration resistance, this material is known as alphagel or aGel for short. This material is most famous for being used in the shock absorption parts of Asics running shoes.

Herre a couple of videos showing it's awesome properties:

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
The black part found on your GSteel is not the same material as the red parts found on for instance the GMW-B5000 and some other models such as the new MTG and also on the GD-X6900. The material found on the GSteel is regular PUR/Polyurethane resin in a sandwich configuration. The red parts on the GMW-B5000 are made of a nanotech special silicone material with superior antivibration and bouncing properties developed by Taica Corporation for maximal shock and vibration resistance, this material is known as alphagel or aGel for short. This material is most famous for being used in the shock absorption parts of Asics running shoes.

Interesting. So then the red band material perhaps further distributes shock somehow from the connective areas, which tend to be weak spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Something's weird with the site, your post was not showing when I viewed in my computer, but it's there when I viewed the thread from my cellphone. Anyway, thank you for the great info, I wonder where you get all that from. Is there a reference we can look at?

I believe it is aGel for the GMW on the lug end of the resin band, as well as between the metal bezel and metal case.

But on the MTG, the 2 cylindrical posts on the end of the resin band look like just plastics. Also screws go into them, so they should be hard to have proper threads to secure the screws. So it couldn't be some kind of elastic material. Also the band attachment point is a bit far from the watch case to have effective shock absorption. That's what I think, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
isnt it obvious? its a proprietry design so you dont get any bright ideas of trying anything custom :p
Pretty much 0 option to customize the MTG with third part straps, if you want to continue to use the 3 screws end piece attachment system. I think it's the first time such strap attachment system is used in a watch, any watch not just a Casio. But... if you remove the end pieces to reveal the screw bars, you may be able put a NATO through it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts