WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,811 Posts
I can see a Movado dial, a case that's a hell-knows-what with illegible markings (at least illegible in the photo provided), and a Cortebert movement.
bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Cortebert 516

What I think it is, is a frankenwatch in dreadful condition.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
"Their parts" is impossible because they don't build parts these days.They order them. "Rolex" began as a seller. By the time Rebbeg/Aegler get their eclusive movement maker and some centuries later complete a part of the company. "Rolex" or Aeger never build male pocket watchmovements themself in their history. They were bought from Buren and later on Cortebert. May be others as well. I'm not a Rolex expert. The first pocket watches ordred by Buren was exact the same quality as their own ones. The only difference was Rolex written on the winding system weels. By the time they ordered "special Rolex movement editions" for pocket watches but this was later on.

Cheers Silke

·
Registered
7,811 Posts
Well, Rolex did use Cortebert movements, however here, in absence of markings anywhere except the ratchet wheel, either the ratchet wheel was salvaged from a wrecked Rolex-signed Cortebert movement, or the Rolex engraving is fake.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
I do not think the engraving is fake, there is nothing special about those rolex pocket watches that one would do such a quality fake engraving

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Well, ... either the ratchet wheel was salvaged from a wrecked Rolex-signed Cortebert movement, or the Rolex engraving is fake.
Agree, to the point that the crown wheel and ratchet wheel do not have the appearance of the rest of the movement - they look noticeably more shiny and polished.

·
Registered
363 Posts
watch_expert.krd said:
what is this?
Which part? That's a comedy collection of bits. If one part is filthy, another should not have a mirror finish. Look at the two screws holding the balance. The colour of the balance bridge is totally mismatched to the rest of the movement. As for the addition of Rolex branded parts, well the vendor does have a sense of humour.
watch_expert.krd said:
and how old?
wikipedia said:
First, suppose that the famous ship sailed by the hero Theseus in a great battle has been kept in a harbour as a museum piece. As the years go by some of the wooden parts begin to rot and are replaced by new ones. After a century or so, all of the parts have been replaced. Is the "restored" ship still the same object as the original?
OK, we know that this one isn't the same as the original, but ignoring that, how old is the museum ship?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts