WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Oris Aquis Clipperton
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was staring at one of my watches today (shocking right?) trying to figure out what it was that had made me like this particular watch so much, when I finally realized it was the handset and indices. Sure, the face is a great blue, and the I like the case, and the bezel, and blah blah. But they had really nailed it with the small details. It made me realize that everyone seems to talk about the face color, and the bracelet, and the bezels, but short of mentioning the nice hands you don't hear much about them or the indices on the face. So what's your favorite, and why?

The watch in question in my case was the Seiko SBDC047 Transocean. Fantastic watch with one of the comfiest bracelets I've ever used. The blue face is fantastic too, as well as the all ceramic bezel. But I think Seiko absolutely killed it with the indices and hands. Nice stumpy arrow for the hours, with a long sword type for the minutes. Both full of lume, as they should be. The second hand is a great arrow shape with a tail that extends past the center and is just perfect. The indices are my favorite though, very bold with a nice hard chrome edge that catches the light. Each one has a subtle point to it that hints at the Monster but is more classy. Just a great look all around, and so easy to read. The best part is the date, which is at 4:30, so there aren't any that are chopped off or asymmetrical. Never thought I'd say it, but I think it tops even my Omega Planet Ocean for elegance and readability.
Capture.JPG

·
Registered
221 Posts
Seiko SNE 488/499 solar Tuna and Grand Seiko divers. The hour hands for both of these watches are tops.....not short and stubby hands that are used on the majority of Seiko's other divers. Round indices also tops rectangular bars for me....classic.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
I always smile when I look at the hands and indices on my 2nd gen black and gold Monster, I prefer them over any other generation so far. If Seiko would have left the day wheel out and made the date window the same shape as the 9 indice and the background white, outlined in gold, with black numbers, This would be perfect! At a quick glance the "teeth look bright white, and at closer inspection the light brings out the golden shine adding a whole new dimension to them. This dial as a whole is almost perfect, the way the" 5 & 7" teeth almost come to a perfect triangle at the top of the "x". The hands are a perfect length and there's no mistaking which is which. I'm not currently a fan of all gold watches but this combo "hit the nail on the head" and countersunk it perfectly!
Might not be the best photo but I may update it later!

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
313 Posts
The Panerai 1320. Only sandwich dial I own so very unique to me with everything sunken instead of painted or applied. Also easiest to read dial of any I've ever owned.

20190409_173946.jpg

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Best handset/indices in the business IMO. Does everything right including over the top lume and is especially useful for older eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
Looking at my collection and the watches I wear the most, it becomes obvious that I prefer lumed baton style hands and applied stick indices. Tag Heuer Carrera and Prometheus Poseidon are good examples.

Carrera_Heuer_02T_r20.jpg

Poseidon_r08.jpg

·
Registered
Oris Aquis Clipperton
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Best handset/indices in the business IMO. Does everything right including over the top lume and is especially useful for older eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah, very close to the Transocean, excellent! Looks like the minute hand on that is a bit longer, which is even better. I think on the Transocean I figured out why it doesn't go all the way to the markers. With that raised chapter ring that the hour indices are set into, the minute hand would probably interfere or scrape the top of it if the hand was longer As it is the minute hand stops just shy.

·
Registered
Oris Aquis Clipperton
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I always smile when I look at the hands and indices on my 2nd gen black and gold Monster, I prefer them over any other generation so far. If Seiko would have left the day wheel out and made the date window the same shape as the 9 indice and the background white, outlined in gold, with black numbers, This would be perfect! At a quick glance the "teeth look bright white, and at closer inspection the light brings out the golden shine adding a whole new dimension to them. This dial as a whole is almost perfect, the way the" 5 & 7" teeth almost come to a perfect triangle at the top of the "x". The hands are a perfect length and there's no mistaking which is which. I'm not currently a fan of all gold watches but this combo "hit the nail on the head" and countersunk it perfectly!
Might not be the best photo but I may update it later!

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
My second favorite, and probably the reason I like the Transocean so much. It's like a slightly evolved form of the 2nd gen Monster, which is still the best version ever if you ask me. If you're going to make a watch called the Monster, why stop halfway. I especially like the "rocket ship" that the hands make when they align for that brief minute every hour.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts