WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
61 - 80 of 85 Posts

· Registered
1,363 Posts
If the Kingston wasn't limited, would it still be the best?
Yes, I absolutely think it would still be the best. The size, the look, the big crown, the piano black dial and oh my word, the beautiful gilt. I'm a huge fan of MKII, having a Vantage, LRRP, Paradive Gen 3, Key West, and TR, as well as my favorite Kingston. But that's just my opinion.

Blue skies,
-only jake

· Registered
636 Posts
Yes, I absolutely think it would still be the best. The size, the look, the big crown, the piano black dial and oh my word, the beautiful gilt. I'm a huge fan of MKII, having a Vantage, LRRP, Paradive Gen 3, Key West, and TR, as well as my favorite Kingston. But that's just my opinion.

Blue skies,
-only jake
If it's truly the best, and I'm pretty sure a lot would also agree with that, then Bill should bring it back. It's a bit odd to stop production of a product that's supposedly considered to be the best by a lot of people.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

· Registered
2,372 Posts
If it's truly the best, and I'm pretty sure a lot would also agree with that, then Bill should bring it back. It's a bit odd to stop production of a product that's supposedly considered to be the best by a lot of people.

While you could say most MKII’s are limited to small batches, the Kingston was a limited edition of 300. IMO it’s bad form to bring back an LE and and add on to the 300 original Kingstons.

That’s why the Nassau exists.

Cheers!

· Registered
636 Posts
While you could say most MKII’s are limited to small batches, the Kingston was a limited edition of 300. IMO it’s bad form to bring back an LE and and add on to the 300 original Kingstons.

That’s why the Nassau exists.

Cheers!
I think there's actually more than 300, if you count the first few plank orders which had a spare case, insert and dial, enough to build another watch. Not sure if a spare movement was included though.

· Registered
2,372 Posts
I think there's actually more than 300, if you count the first few plank orders which had a spare case, insert and dial, enough to build another watch. Not sure if a spare movement was included though.

To me those weren’t full Kingstons as you’re missing a movement, caseback and something else, can’t recall that last piece.

You’re correct, there could be more than 300 if people used those kits and sourced the necessary missing parts. I see that as a different thing vs a brand deciding to release more of a limited edition once that initial limited number has already been produced and sold.

Cheers!

· Registered
2,142 Posts
I’ve thought about it a bit and, to my limited exposure, it’s the Kingston for sure, for one simple reason…gilt! Not that it’s the only reason but it pushes it just above the rest. I own both the gilt King and West and the the King wins out as it was the first to give us the gilt and, even though my first love was my GMT Master II, the simplicity of the Kingston just kills it.
The overall quality of all MKII’s is second to none. That’s a given. There are so many awesome watches BUT the one thing that truly sets MKII apart is the gilt! Even when Tudor (and then how many more) went crazy nostalgia, they couldn’t produce what Bill did. It’s as impressive as it is mesmerizing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

And the “pink Kingston” says hello.

· Registered
3,885 Posts
I’ve thought about it a bit and, to my limited exposure, it’s the Kingston for sure, for one simple reason…gilt! Not that it’s the only reason but it pushes it just above the rest. I own both the gilt King and West and the the King wins out as it was the first to give us the gilt and, even though my first love was my GMT Master II, the simplicity of the Kingston just kills it.
The overall quality of all MKII’s is second to none. That’s a given. There are so many awesome watches BUT the one thing that truly sets MKII apart is the gilt! Even when Tudor (and then how many more) went crazy nostalgia, they couldn’t produce what Bill did. It’s as impressive as it is mesmerizing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

And the “pink Kingston” says hello.
You forgot to mention the gilt! But I mostly agree with you, except on those days when my Key West or Nassau 3-6-9 are on wrist!

61 - 80 of 85 Posts