WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

How much could you realistically see spending on one watch?

• $1000 tops

Votes: 91 22.0%
  • $1000 - $2500

Votes: 114 27.6%
  • $2501 - $5000

Votes: 96 23.2%
  • $5001 - $9999

Votes: 59 14.3%
  • $10,000 or more

Votes: 53 12.8%
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wondering what all of your max watch budgets are? What I mean is, given your obvious interest in fine watches, where you are in life (money, family, interest, etc.), how much would be the most you would spend on a watch, say in the forseeable future. Or how much have you spent on a single timepiece? This is not a hypothetical so much (if I won the lottery), but more of I have my eye on this, and think I might pull the trigger. Or if I get that promotion next month (good luck in this economy), then I am rewarding myself with this. That sort of thing. Curious to know. For me, I started at a few hundred, quickly jumped to over a thousand, and now find myself realistically eyeing pieces that are in the $5000 range and regularly am thinking I might jump on something (hence if you recall, recently I asked about a hypothetical $5k watch purchase). Shocking considering how I can be with money that I am considering this too. What about you? Good deal.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Every time I put pants on it's to make Gold records! More cow Bell!

It used to be around the 2-3k mark but as I've advanced in my career my pay has increased so it's probably around the 5k mark currently, though I try to keep it below that if I can. I think it's a reflection of good fortune, work, and how much you really like (are obsesses with) watches.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
My theoretical maximum is very different from my ability to pay maximum.

Theoretically, I could see myself paying $25K for a watch, heavily discounted of course! :-d

Practically I can't see myself spending more than $8K for a watch, heavily discounted of course, at least until my aim gets to be as good as Jed Clampett.

Can you imagine being a Saudi Prince though??? You walk by something ridiculously expensive and you tell your man servant to ship it back to the palace. I could theoretically see myself doing that too! ;-)

-T

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
This would probably increase with age, the older I get the more I want to spend on a watch. My most expensive purchase is currently a pre loved Rolex Submariner ND.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
i never considering 'budgeting' to buy a watch, of course for good reason. while i see any i like, and the wallet is doing fine, i'll buy it.

·
Banned
5,606 Posts
Between $500-$1000 MAX. I can comfortably afford a $3K-$5K watch but I just can't bring myself to dump that much cash onto a single timepiece. My complete and total appreciation for watches in that price range is not there (at least not yet).

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Between $500-$1000 MAX. I can comfortably afford a $3K-$5K watch but I just can't bring myself to dump that much cash onto a single timepiece. My complete and total appreciation for watches in that price range is not there (at least not yet).
You cannot appreciate something like this? I kind of had to... the power of Benzinger compelled me....

-T

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I think $5000 would be my max.

anyways, the majority of the watches I really like are in the $1500 - $3000 range

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
$5K is my limit. Mind you, that number is strictly related to the amount of cash I'll throw down, and doesn't include the sale/trade of another watch on top of that. So, theoretically, I could buy a much more expensive watch by augmenting the purchase price with money from the sale of another watch in my collection. As long as the money is coming out of my collection, my wife doesn't care.

Regards,
Adam

·
0 Posts
WOW, many of us think the same. 5K would be the most, but for me to spend that much it would have to be a really good discount on a Omega or IWC. Forget anything in Blancpain or those higher end brands. I usually spend 1K-3K on watches.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
There should be a $500 max category, given that "Affordable Watches" is one of the most popular forums here. Although the poll results above show the contrary. Perhaps many wouldn't think about spending $1000 on a watch, so they aren't responding?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Depends on the watch really. but would spend upto £10K for a new watch I think

·
Registered
477 Posts
If I were to compare this to buying a car.. I'd pay max $100k for something that rolled off an assembly line, say an M series bimmer or an AMG merc. However I wouldnt think twice for spend $200k on a ferrari or spyker or lets say $600k on a zonda.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
5000 - 9000. Mostly because one of my sought after watches - Rolex Sub sits in that range new. I'm seriously considering a used purchase when the time comes, and that would push me into the less expensive bracket, but, I figured I should vote with the upper limit, and not potential purchase price.

That said, there aren't many watches I'd buy in the 5 - 9 range. The Rolex, at the tail end of that range, being the only one that jumps to mind. This is partly because the majority of watches I like are found in the less expensive bracket, and partly because there are a number of other interests I like to indulge in require money - diving, hiking, vacations, sailing, kayaking, photography, etc., and money spent in one area directly corrolates to money not spent in another.

One final thought, I can never get into those wild, lottery win, fantasies. Part of the desirability of a watch, for me, is the saving, the consideration, the thinking, and then the ultimate purchase of a 'grail' watch. If I had the ability to simply go out and fulfill all my wishes in one easy shoping trip I think I'd lose some of that.

·
Registered
801 Posts
$10K would be max I would spend on any particular watch.

But I'm willing to spend the amount necesary the day I can afford my Grail watch. VC Patrimony Retrograde Day Date.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts