WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Master Control Date or Master Ultra Thin Date ?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Watch lovers,

I am still in a search of my second watch, that will be a daily wearer. I have a hulk which I will wear on the weekends, as it is a heavy watch and will scratch my computer when I am typing. I wanted to get the BP leman chrono or aqua lung big date, but apprently they are no longer in production. So I am back to JLC. I also like the fact that jlc has those thin watches that only upscale brnds like lange or patek produce. But it is a price of a breitling or an omega. (the ones i am looking at).

So right now I am going back and forth between the Master Control Date Silver dial (wanted the black but it is also no longer in production for some reason, and the Master Ultra Thin Small second Silver dial. I like the master control date much more, but my left wrist is 15.5 cm and the right is 16cm. So the smaller the watch wears the better.

If you guys could share your opinion about these watches, if the movement is sturdy enough for a daily use ( I am very active) , if these two watches have a similiar movement or is one better than the other, what do you guys aesthetically think of these watches ? Please share your kind opinions, and maybe give a suggestion to look else where for a watch that is dressy and would go nicely with a suit or a serious businessman. I also have the sarb033 and i really like the look of it, reminds me a lot of caltrava.

With best regards,
Serge

Attachments

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
Aesthetically, I prefer the small seconds version. It’s such a beautiful and elegant watch. The date version is nice but doesn’t look as special to me. Bottom line is you can’t go with either one.

Have you tried them both on? I’m sure a side by side comparison would help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts
I would get the small seconds. Also, I personally wouldn’t let the current production of a watch dictate what I buy. If you really like a particular model/dial I would hunt for it! Either way best of luck!

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I have also looked at the small second and it caught my attention have not owned a small second sub dial watch since the 70's and miss that. It's a timeless design that is both simple and elegant.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I like the ultra thin. The ultra thin moon with the black face is my very favorite however. If durability is a concern the Rolex Datejust 36 is never a bad choice as a work watch and it can be worn on either a strap or a bracelet.

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
I like the small seconds (don't need a date window on my watches)--BUT, to me "VERY ACTIVE" and "DRESSY...SERIOUS BUSINESSMAN" are a contradiction in terms--neither watch would be suitable for the former, either would be OK for the latter.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I also like the fact that jlc has those thin watches that only upscale brnds like lange or patek produce. But it is a price of a breitling or an omega. (the ones i am looking at).
Montblanc has a couple ultra-slim models that have a similar look to the JLCs but at a much lower price (i just bought a gold ultra-slim for less than a JLC SS).

start here and look further for "ultra slim"

https://www.montblanc.com/en-ca/collection/watches/montblanc-heritage-chronometrie-collection.html?=undefined

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I had the small second as my main office watch for about 2 years, and it was perfect for the job: very slim, very light, and very classy. The small details such as the very subtle sunburst dial, and concentric circles in the subdial reveals a little more character and sophistication. It gets my vote.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Central blue second hand with the date is the winner for me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would get the small seconds. Also, I personally wouldn’t let the current production of a watch dictate what I buy. If you really like a particular model/dial I would hunt for it! Either way best of luck!
Totally! Check members here or chrono24

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I think the JLC small second has a blue dial as well. Very beautiful and elegant!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
I like and voted for central blue seconds hand. The other one is good looking but too much silver over silver. But can't really go wrong either way.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
1. The Leman Aqua Lung and the Grande Date is available on Chrono24 as pre-owned. Both are better picks than either JLC. (I own the first...a keeper.)

2. If picking from your duo, I'd get the Small Seconds. But the the kicker is I would hunt down a black dial.

Take-away from all this...you're going pre-owned either way.

PS. Blancpain may release a successor to the Leman line in 2019. Let's hope so, anyway.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts