WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you the type who collects the rarest G-Shocks for the purpose of admiring them and after a while get bored with them, sell them away in the hope of getting better returns, and then moving on with other brands like Seiko or Rolex, which you'll realize you're engaged in this monotonous cycle of buying and selling? Or are you the sort who likes to collect many G-Shocks but always wear them till the day they rot, without any intention of selling them? Or are you the kind who collects a few normal G-Shocks to wear sorely for what they serve: toughness and shock-resistance?

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
I don't think I'm a collector. I'm someone who likes to have a selection of watches to wear, and is always hopeful of finding the perpetually elusive 'perfect' watch. Naturally, many watches have to be bought and sold in the quest for perfection...

If I get close to having ten watches, I ruthlessly re-evaluate my existing watches with a view to making room for the next candidate. Some watches, however, become 'untouchable'. What happens when I have ten 'untouchables', I don't really know.

Well, I do actually - I'll simply re-write the rules... :)

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'm guilty of being all of them in some way all other. I really like G shock because it Tough and reliable. At the same time I do collect limited model. I love wearing them (not all at once). Then when I want to sell them I hope to have gained some profit for it.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I'm not really a G-shock collector, with only 5 that took my fancy, but I have had up to 80 Casio vintage digital watches.

That type of collecting is quantity, almost regardless of quality. Some collectors prefer to define strict parametres such as a series of model runs or a colour or all the sensor models or calculator models between 1984 and 1988. I guess we all have our own rules.
At the moment I'm trying to structure my vintages into 3 or 4 categories and not stray outside them. I doubt if I'll stick to it though.
As tribe said, you rewrite the rules all the time.
One of the great things about collecting, I surmise, is that you can indeed make up your own rules, bearing in mind that peer group pressure is an influence.
All of this is, of course, just my current musings and will probably change by next week.

Interesting topic though !
ps money has nothing to do with it for me. It's all about finding other watches all the time.

·
Registered
774 Posts
i buy them have a look at them keep them for awhile then i need some cash for another hobby like remote controlled planes then i sell some
then ill buy some more keep 1 or 2 like the frogmans and mudmans and get a couple of each then sell the extras and keep just one from each make

·
Registered
263 Posts
Good Question!
I guess I like "interesting" watches of all types. I find the Casios, like this forum, to be the most fun-and the least damaging to the pocketbook as well. And like Tribe, I am always looking for the "perfect" watch. But I have Zeniths, Omegas, a Graham Grand Silverstone, a couple of Japys, Seikos, etc. - but usually have a Daily Driver as a default watch to throw on without thinking and subject to consideration of dress, occasion and the like. For many years this was an old 5 series Seiko from the 70's. Then an Oakley Time Bomb (great watch). Lately I haven't been able to get this 5600J off my wrist! Atomic, solar, comfortable (and with colder weather fits under a sleeve that has sweater and shirt-something most of my other Casios won't do) - it is a pretty perfect watch. But that didn't stop me from buying a Men in Khaki Frog and a 1st Sensor recently...when will it end? o|

·
Registered
472 Posts
I would say I'm in the third category as I only own four different versions and I wear them specifically at work (shipping/receiving). I don't go for the collectors editions as I beleive a watch should be worn and not just sit in a fancy box just to look at. If I can't wear it, then I won't own it. Simple as that.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I've been across the spectrum. I've settled down though and now add to the collection those with functions I like, and save the rough duty for basic models that are easy to replace though.:)

Kev

·
Registered
233 Posts
Maybe I'm not a collector.

I own eight, nothing rare. I wear most of them. Some less than others.

I've never sold a G because I just assumed that I wouldn't get very much money for it, given that it's used. Seems like a lot of aggravation for very little benefit.

I noticed the newly created poll doesn't have a category for me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i guess i'm kind of like you, greg. i own 5 g-shocks and i wear 3 of them with any regularity at all. i kind of regret buying 2 of them: a g-3110 and a dw-6600 because i really don't like them anymore and i hardly ever wear them. but i've never even considered selling them because i just figure what good is it to go through all the trouble of selling them on e-bay for just $10-$15 a piece.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Not sure if I'm a G-shock collector just yet, but I just picked up my first one, a G-Shock Atomic Solar MTG920DA-1. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts