WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up this 17 jewel Elgin movement for 21 dollars del'd. It runs perfectly and has kept time nicely today. I have never encountered one like this before, where the pendant remains attached to the movement when out of the case ... and am having trouble finding any others like it. I think it was "pair cased". The dial is in great condition, and the engraved dial caught my wife's eye.

Here it is in the listing I bought it from.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

JDT

·
Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator
2,429 Posts
That more than likely was originally a swing-out case. The inner ring was attached to the rest of the case by a hinge at 3:00 or 9:00, and the two halves of the case joined together by a hinge at 6:00. This isn't considered a pair case because of the hinge-also, with a pair case, normally the inner case has a full back and bezel and not just a ring.

You normally see this sort of set up on low-grade solid gold cases. Gold won't hold threads, and with it having two hinges rather than the normal three, it's less expensive to make. Plus, it saves a lot of gold since the case band is reinforced by the swing ring.

What's happened with yours is that someone has scrapped the rest of the case.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ...... I couldn't think of "swing out". I knew there was another kind of case ... and my feeble mind kept coming up with "tip out" and that's a house trailer term. No reason this one can't live in a normal style case I don't suppose. It's a little bit vulnerable right now.

Maybe the stem and crown parts from this one will work on the OF Elgin with the heavy arabic numerals? I got an email from the seller of that watch on saturday night, saying it would be shipped out on monday.... so I wait.

JDT

1 - 3 of 3 Posts