WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all! Ive just got my hands on a old watch, my grandpa left it to me when i died.
Its a Dixi watch, googled it and only found Doxa watches.
Load up some pic, take a look at it and see. If you got any info i would be really greatful!

Thank you

/ Gustaf
Sweden​

Attachments

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Hi and welcome
Dixi was registered name to:
Barbezat-Baillot - Le Locle
Founded 1847
Companies major brand was Le Phare

Pritchard also mentions DIXI under Zenith
BUT I could not see anything there on DIXI
That said, I would be more biased to Zenith (if I could see her link) as Zenith under original founder Georges Favre-Jacot won records as your watch shows in 1906

Suggest you post movement pictures
Regards
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS - Kathleen Pritchard - Swiss Time Keepers

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Dixi Machines SA has a very interesting history that I first became aware of while researching Robert Cart watchmaker. Founded in 1904, they were a watch manufacture that became heavily involved, along with many other Swiss watch companies, in illegal arms production for the Third Reich. A post-war Swiss commission cited Dixi as the biggest provider of precision bomb fuses, which were shipped disguised as watch parts! There were other collaborators in the Swiss watch industry, most now gone, but Dixi survives as a manufacture of precision machinery tools. Ironically, today they are owned by a Japanese conglomerate.

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Dixi Machines SA has a very interesting history that I first became aware of while researching Robert Cart watchmaker. Founded in 1904, they were a watch manufacture that became heavily involved, along with many other Swiss watch companies, in illegal arms production for the Third Reich. A post-war Swiss commission cited Dixi as the biggest provider of precision bomb fuses, which were shipped disguised as watch parts! There were other collaborators in the Swiss watch industry, most now gone, but Dixi survives as a manufacture of precision machinery tools. Ironically, today they are owned by a Japanese conglomerate.
Wow!!
Thats interesting - no mention to that in Pritchards Book.

@Gurra
Looks an OK movement - I am NOT good enough to know movements I hope others can help

Reactions: gurra510

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Interesting - Pritchard does not mention that
@GURRA510
Its an OK looking movement. Sorry I am NOT good enough to know movement manufacturers, I hope others can

I should add the crescent and crown are the German assay marks for silver yours is 800
You can study more here
German Hallmarks II page 1 - Encyclopedia of Silver Marks, Hallmarks & Makers' Marks

Reactions: gurra510

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
17,854 Posts
Dixi or Doxa?! Judging by the movement, it might almost be the latter.....

The movement looks like a standard FHF pocket watch calibre which was frequently used by Doxa:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: FHF 19'''

The only difference between the example and yours is that you have a lepine movement so that the winding stem and mainspring barrel plus wheel switch place.

Hartmut Richter

1 - 9 of 9 Posts