WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
40,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What makes a keeper?

‘Keeper’ is a term that is often used around here. I think I’ve even used it for a watch that hasn’t even landed on my wrist yet. I was wrong.

I’ve recently had an interesting phase where I have been actively trying to wear most of my collection, but in reality there are only a few of those watches that I really want to wear. I haven’t really had this problem before – I have happily cycled through the majority of my watches and enjoyed the variety. These few watches that I really want to wear have emerged and now fit my latest definition of ‘keepers’.

Those watches are the Seiko SARB001 and the Stowa Seatime.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398677353.507996.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398677420.797030.jpg
The Seatime is the most versatile watch I have owned and I love it in most bracelet/strap/bezel combinations. Despite its heft, it makes it onto my wrist more than any other watch. The SARB001 is one of the most unique and beautiful watches I have seen and even if I ever stop wearing it regularly I won’t want to sell it.

I’m also hopeful that three new incoming watches will fall into the same category, but it would be foolish of me to say so.

My other watches fall into several groups.

'Sentimental keepers' are watches that were gifts plus the one I wore on my wedding day. No matter how much wrist time they get, I am keeping those.

'Holiday Romance' watches are that I bought and enjoyed (or still enjoy) but all along I’ve known that at some point I will part with them. For some the strings are cut pretty quickly, for others they hang around longer than expected. I’m currently trying to cut these from my collection.

The last group, 'Fallen Angels', are those watches that I thought I’d never sell. I told myself they were keepers as soon as I had them (or sometimes before), but for one reason or another they just aren’t doing it for me anymore. I can still get great enjoyment from these, but the joy ownership has been soured slightly because they have fallen from their once lofty ‘keeper’ status. Sadly, these too are for the chopping block.

What do you really mean when you say “She’s a keeper”?

·
Sinn Moderator
9,805 Posts
Well said, Brad! Thanks for sharing.

I enjoy flipping watches. Many watches just come and go. However, some of my collection I have decided that I will keep and not flip. They are my keepers. My Omega trio falls into the keeper category for me. I am fortunate to have a classic Omega Seamaster Professional 2254.50, a classic Speedmaster Professional 3570.50 (the moon watch) and the new classic 42mm Planet Ocean 2202.50 with the 2500D movement. Cheers, Bill P.

·
Banned
5,646 Posts
I like your distinction between Sentimental keepers and a watch that you couldn't part with purely for watchy reasons.

All my keepers come into that subcategory - but having said that, while the Rodina is a sentimental keeper, had I the money to hand I would happily buy a Tangomat and retire the Rodina to a safe place. I love having that design on my wrist as I go about my daily business.

·
Premium Member
40,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A lovely trio. I can see why they are keepers.

For the non-keepers, do you know from the outset that they will be flipped some day, or do you (like me) kid yourself that they are keepers too?

I like your distinction between Sentimental keepers and a watch that you couldn't part with purely for watchy reasons.
"Purely watchy reasons" - I like that!

Brad, they're all keepers aren't they?
I once told myself that. I keep telling myself that about new purchases too.

I have two watches that I consider keepers. One is for sentimental reasons. The other is because it is the watch that really got me started in this sickness.
Interesting. I've never thought about the watch got me into this. I guess it was a slow process. I remember the Binnacle Anchor being my first 'forum guided' purchase and the one that opened my eyes to the world of fabulous affordable watches out there, but it never crossed my mind that it would be a sentimental keeper. I think the only reason I hung on to it for so long it that it was so versatile.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
I also have 3 categories, though mine are slightly different.

1) Watches I love that I would never be able to find again.

I tried to sell both of them at one point, and man on man am I happy that I didn't make that mistake.....

2) Sentimental Pieces

Airman I bought myself for High School graduation. BM6400 was a gift from the missus.

3) Just wear it too much

I wear my Shark Diver at least twice a week. It's perfect for me in every possible way. Absolutely perfect. In fact, I'm kind of considering buying another one.....

Sent from my iPhone, so expect typos.

·
Vendor
27,687 Posts
My experience is just about what "clicks" for me and what doesn't, but it often only becomes clear in time, and it's somewhat dependent on what else is available in my box, or available to buy.

I can only think of a few watches I got and knew they weren't keepers right away. The rest all seemed like keepers at the time.

So far, I'm not entirely sure any of them are keepers, and most of them are my own designs. I love them all, but I always feel like the next one I do will be better somehow.

Of them all, I think the Acionnas are about as close to perfection as I've got. We'll see how I feel about the Cerberus after owning it a while, ditto for the Orthos.

Reactions: FrakkenPrawn

·
Premium Member
40,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My experience is just about what "clicks" for me and what doesn't, but it often only becomes clear in time, and it's somewhat dependent on what else is available in my box, or available to buy.

I can only think of a few watches I got and knew they weren't keepers right away. The rest all seemed like keepers at the time.

So far, I'm not entirely sure any of them are keepers, and most of them are my own designs. I love them all, but I always feel like the next one I do will be better somehow.

Of them all, I think the Acionnas are about as close to perfection as I've got. We'll see how I feel about the Cerberus after owning it a while, ditto for the Orthos.
I'd generally agree with this - but they often fall into my Fallen Angels category.

Take my CW Trident for example. I was signing its praises right from the first renders and had a fantastic experience at CW Towers when I went to buy it. It clicked. I 'knew' it was a keeper.

Over the last year I've become more of a fan of divers, so the arrival of the Stowa Seatime did nothing to put me off the Trident. My tastes seem to be going full circle now, and I have no need or desire for more than one diver. The Stowa beats it hands down for me. I purposely didn't wear the CW for a month to see if I missed it. Not really. When I wore it again it was nice, but not a keeper. Off to eBay it goes.

It's different for you though. I'd like to think each watch I get is an improvement on what I've flipped and I'm constantly moving toward are more complete collection - slowly fitting all the pieces of the 'keeper' jigsaw together. I suspect that for you it's always trying to better yourself with each watch you create. The day you decide that you can't do any better will be a sad day. The day I decide I can't do any better will be a happy one.

·
Premium Member
40,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sometimes a new strap turns a watch into a keeper. I flipped a blue mako in the past but wouldn't dream of flipping my new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a whole new angle that I really didn't expect. I fully agree that a different strap can transform a watch and make it feel 'just right', but I wouldn't expect it to transform a watch into a keeper for me.

·
Vendor
27,687 Posts
I'd generally agree with this - but they often fall into my Fallen Angels category.

Take my CW Trident for example. I was signing its praises right from the first renders and had a fantastic experience at CW Towers when I went to buy it. It clicked. I 'knew' it was a keeper.

Over the last year I've become more of a fan of divers, so the arrival of the Stowa Seatime did nothing to put me off the Trident. My tastes seem to be going full circle now, and I have no need or desire for more than one diver. The Stowa beats it hands down for me. I purposely didn't wear the CW for a month to see if I missed it. Not really. When I wore it again it was nice, but not a keeper. Off to eBay it goes.

It's different for you though. I'd like to think each watch I get is an improvement on what I've flipped and I'm constantly moving toward are more complete collection - slowly fitting all the pieces of the 'keeper' jigsaw together. I suspect that for you it's always trying to better yourself with each watch you create. The day you decide that you can't do any better will be a sad day. The day I decide I can't do any better will be a happy one.
All true, but there's more to it.

I've discovered that a lot of what looks good on paper or on screen falls short in person, and vice versa, what looks "meh" in images can come alive on the wrist, but I've yet to figure out what it is about any of them that causes it. There doesn't appear to be any discernible pattern to it.

It seems to me to be something that is quite intangible, or just the way certain design elements all come together. It may just be one element that's missing or wrong, and holding a design back. As a designer it's scary to realize what seems awesome may actually suck, and what seems awful may actually be awesome.

I totally understand your notion of fallen angels in this context. I think we get mesmerized by the new, but only after the newness wears off do we find ourselves drawn to something repeatedly or frequently ignoring it. So knowing a keeper from a non keeper is only revealed in time, and often hard to understand or explain.

I can't explain why I prefer some of my watches over others. What's even stranger to me is that it doesnt seem to correlate to how I feel about the designs as their designer. There are things I'd change about the Acionna if I were to do it over, yet it's the "favorite" in my collection. There's nothing in particular I think I'd change about the Spectre, yet it's not my favorite.

For whatever it's worth, I'm very happy with how the Orthos turned out (on paper, we'll see if I feel the same after getting the prototypes), and I don't feel at all like I could have done better with it, and it's a happy, rather than sad day.

Reactions: FrakkenPrawn

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
I've trimmed my collection down to four with a fifth on the way. Those five might change over time, but I think I'm gonna stick with a smaller collection from now on. I feel like a small collection, focused on my particular "type," will allow me to give each one the attention it deserves.

That said, all of this is subject to change, and I don't know if I'll ever find what you guys describe as a "keeper." The best I can hope for is keeping a small harem that I don't get bored of. :)

·
Registered
3,125 Posts

£226 with just under 6 days to go? You've got to be happy with that Brad?
I never thought I'd see you putting this one up for sale- it used to be a regular on the WRUW threads.
Amazing how our tastes/ collection direction can change in such a short space of time.

Anyway back to the topic in hand. The strap angle is an interesting one- looking at the strap angle from a different angle (!) I can't find a suitable strap or bracelet for my Alpinist, which I love. This is pushing it into dangerous non-keeper territory.

Looking at my watch box, the most simplistic definition of a keeper I could come up with was: "If it broke or stopped working, would I bother getting it fixed/ replaced?". Too simplistic maybe.

Jonathan.

·
Registered
281 Posts
My girlfriend gave me a watch display box that holds 6 watches. Inside, I have the watches I wear most frequently and would say are as close to "keepers" as it gets.

1. Rolex Explorer I (39mm)
2. Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra white dial and diamond hour markers on a metal bracelet
3. Tag Aquaracer quartz on a metal bracelet
4. Movado Series 800 chronograph black dial and orange hands on a rubber wrist band
5. Hamilton Boulton repro quartz on a brown leather band
6. Burberry chronograph black dial, white and red hands on a rubber wrist band

I have a few other watch boxes to hold the 31+ watches I have (they're mostly fashion watches and strange odds-and-ends). I'm not one to "flip" them. I'm more likely to give them away to family and friends, although most are too strange to garner any actual interest in owning them hahah.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I have to admit I have been re-evaluating my collection recently. There are a number of my 26 watches that do not get any wrist time at all. A number of them appealed to me when I saw them in the WRUW threads and I felt I had to have them, but once I had gone through the honeymoon phase they have remained in the boxes. It probably does not help that I tend to wear a watch for days or even weeks at a time, it just depends on my mood.

For me there are only a few true keepers in my box:

Tag Heuer Carrera 5 - my first automatic purchase and the best quality piece in my collection
Alpha Explorer I - I love the colour an look of this watch and it ticks almost ever box for me
Omega Dynamic - the first vintage watch that I fell in love with and had to have and possibly my most comfortable watch to wear
Cyma Cymaflex - a surprise gift from my wife, so thin and light-weight that you almost do not feel it is there.

All of the rest flit in and out of my interest and never stay on my wrist for long. I shall have to start flipping some to fund future purchases.

Sam

·
Premium Member
40,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have to admit I have been re-evaluating my collection recently. There are a number of my 26 watches that do not get any wrist time at all. A number of them appealed to me when I saw them in the WRUW threads and I felt I had to have them, but once I had gone through the honeymoon phase they have remained in the boxes. It probably does not help that I tend to wear a watch for days or even weeks at a time, it just depends on my mood.

For me there are only a few true keepers in my box:

Tag Heuer Carrera 5 - my first automatic purchase and the best quality piece in my collection
Alpha Explorer I - I love the colour an look of this watch and it ticks almost ever box for me
Omega Dynamic - the first vintage watch that I fell in love with and had to have and possibly my most comfortable watch to wear
Cyma Cymaflex - a surprise gift from my wife, so thin and light-weight that you almost do not feel it is there.

All of the rest flit in and out of my interest and never stay on my wrist for long. I shall have to start flipping some to fund future purchases.

Sam
Damn it. I was hoping the dynamic wasn't in your list of keepers.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts