WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My watch fund is slowly increasing which has been a good time to consider another entry for my humble collection. I was opting for a Seiko 007/009 but have been taken aback by the Alpinist. I think it looks great and has some features that speak to me. However, the price throws me off a bit but I'm sure there's a reason for it. I could justify saving $500-600 but sell me on the Alpinist. What sets it apart from other watches in this price range? Thanks!

Seiko Alpinist.jpg

·
Registered
631 Posts
Hm. Well, first off, the SARB line is Japanese Domestic Market, not sold here in the US. The movement is an upgrade over the 009's, and the overall fit and finish is a good step up as well. Bracelets tend to be higher quality. Sapphire crystal.

You don't see them on every wrist, which is a nice thing.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Green dial is sort of a trademark for Alpinist (even though they come in other colors).

·
Registered
275 Posts
My personal experience with 6R15 is except it winds and hacks. Accuracy is not much better than the 7S.

Hm. Well, first off, the SARB line is Japanese Domestic Market, not sold here in the US. The movement is an upgrade over the 009's, and the overall fit and finish is a good step up as well. Bracelets tend to be higher quality. Sapphire crystal.

You don't see them on every wrist, which is a nice thing.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I used to have 017 and now have 059. They are nice quality watches. What sets them apart the most (and is reflected in the price) is the unavailability on other markets.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
My personal experience with 6R15 is except it winds and hacks. Accuracy is not much better than the 7S.
Which is not necessarily a bad thing considering what kind of (good) experience we have with 7S calibers...

945 Posts
What makes the Seiko Alpinist so special?
It does look really good. I like that all the gold toned accents are contained under the dial (hate when they make buttons or accents on bezels etc. so), plus on the green dial it just looks great. My only nitpicks are empty frames within hands, & contact points of little lume balls. Also like the back, simple but nice, the alpinist logo etc.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Do watches with rotating compasses actually help you navigate somehow ? Or is it just like an elapsed time bezel on a diver watch ?

·
Registered
721 Posts
These days it often seems that most very durable analogue autos are Diver styled pieces. Not everyone wants a "diver look" for their durable auto.

SARB017 is a very distinctive and yet conservative/retro looking all-rounder that you can wear in almost any social situation. Its dimensions are not huge and its very comfy to wear unlike some larger durable autos made today.

There are not so many non-divers made with a 20bar WR and internally rotating compass bezel and not so many Seiko JDM's made with a sapphire crystal at this price point.
How many watches do you know with a green dial and gold accents which looks as good as 017? !! (please excuse my poor photography !)

The Alpinist heritage/bloodline dates back to 1961.
From Yeoman:
Seiko Alpinist – Tradition, Concept, Innovation | Yeoman's Weblog (Archive)

Of course there is always the AFGF, ("Andrews-Feel-Good-Factor") which simply cannot be beaten !! :-d

Do watches with rotating compasses actually help you navigate somehow ? Or is it just like an elapsed time bezel on a diver watch ?
Re Navigating/compass bezel.
Any analogue watch can be used to find direction. The compass bezel just makes it easier to keep track of it.

YouTube:

How to find north using a watch: Solar navigation, Wilderness survival skills - YouTube

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
These days it often seems that most very durable analogue autos are Diver styled pieces. Not everyone wants a "diver look" for their durable auto.

SARB017 is a very distinctive and yet conservative/retro looking all-rounder that you can wear in almost any social situation. Its dimensions are not huge and its very comfy to wear unlike some larger durable autos made today.

There are not so many non-divers made with a 20bar WR and internally rotating compass bezel and not so many Seiko JDM's made with a sapphire crystal at this price point.
How many watches do you know with a green dial and gold accents which looks as good as 017? !! (please excuse my poor photography !)

The Alpinist heritage/bloodline dates back to 1961.
From Yeoman:
Seiko Alpinist – Tradition, Concept, Innovation | Yeoman's Weblog (Archive)

Of course there is always the AFGF, ("Andrews-Feel-Good-Factor") which simply cannot be beaten !! :-d

Re Navigating/compass bezel.
Any analogue watch can be used to find direction. The compass bezel just makes it easier to keep track of it.

YouTube:

How to find north using a watch: Solar navigation, Wilderness survival skills - YouTube
I like your words, "durable auto," because that's what this is, and as such has a fairly unique place, at least until Jason (Halios) releases his Tropik. It's hard to know if it's fairly priced or not--of course you'll pay near retail or a premium because it's JDM...let's say $600 new. The Good is you have a sapphire crystal (how unusual for Seiko!), and a movement that winds and hacks, and quite frankly IMO, a gorgeous watch that can pretty easily give the Rolex Milgauss a run for its money. The Not-So-Good is you have just bought yourself a Japan-made unadjusted movement. Also, it's a 21,600. Not saying that's inferior, still something to consider. The ETA 2824 is in base form adjusted to two positions, which are the two most important adjustments--what happens next (as in more adjustments) is finer tuning.

I do wish the Alpinist had an internal diver's bezel instead of compass markings. I know it would change the watch, but I'd rather have that function than compass markings. Nonetheless, it's a gorgeous watch, bold in its way, with green dial and gold. I'll probably end up buying one, because it's handsome and unique the way it is.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I must say I do like the concept of the Alpinist. I purchased an SKX007 due to its diver rated water resistance. I don't dive but I do a lot of treks/hiking. Unfortunately, this line of Seiko was unknown to me before the purchase. I would have purchased the 059 if I had known about it but I have now modified the SKX to suit my needs.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
I think the right way to phrase this is "special to me" or "special to you". If you don't like it it is not special... If you compare the spec sheet of the SKX009 and SARB017 you will see the differences in the movement and the crystal to start. The SKX line is also international and there are millions of them out there while the SARB line is more limited. If you look at the MSRP I believe it is also not that different but the street price is because of the availability. Materials, fit and finish are a notch or two above. But all this does not really matter unless you like it. Then it becomes special to you.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have all the Alpinists in my collection except the SARB017.

None of the 6R15 movement Alpinists seem to get peple that excited. It is only the 4S15 and 8F56 versions that are really sought after. My personal vote goes to the 8F56 version. It does everything so right:
1) Accurate to 20 seconds per year.
2) Titanium construction
3) 10 year battery life.
4) Looks like a "functional" watch.

If your going to go for an Alpinist go for one of these. 8F56 Alpinist.jpg

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
I have all the Alpinists in my collection except the SARB017.

None of the 6R15 movement Alpinists seem to get peple that excited. It is only the 4S15 and 8F56 versions that are really sought after. My personal vote goes to the 8F56 version. It does everything so right:
1) Accurate to 20 seconds per year.
2) Titanium construction
3) 10 year battery life.
4) Looks like a "functional" watch.

If your going to go for an Alpinist go for one of these.
This would be nice however these quartz Alpinists have been discontinued for years and therefore not easily available.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great things to consider but the price is what gets to me. I love the dial and compass, it looks pretty versatile as well. I think that it would look great with a suit or a plain shirt.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Great things to consider but the price is what gets to me. I love the dial and compass, it looks pretty versatile as well. I think that it would look great with a suit or a plain shirt.
I have the SARB013, SARB015 and SARB017. I love each one. They are a little small but it seems a good size for a semi-dress watch. I bought the all used, I did have to search and wait patiently but I was rewarded in the end...

Here is a post I did some time ago:

https://www.watchuseek.com/f21/not-new-watch-just-new-look-seiko-alpinist-616452.html

and here is a review I did earlier on...

https://www.watchuseek.com/f21/mini-review-seiko-alpinist-watches-354148.html

Some pics:

·
Registered
246 Posts
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21364955978.167895.jpg

Sapphire and better movement. Mine does 2.2 s/d worn 24/7, which is almost 3x better than my SKX009. Awesome looking in my opinion; certainly much rarer and more unique looking. I love the more normal size of 38mm x 12.5mm. My pic is on my 7.25" wrist, for reference. The bracelet can be purchased separately, and is very high quality and comfortable. It is far more comparable to my Grand Seiko bracelet than anything else. If you love the looks and size, it's a no-brainer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts