WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was curious about the Valjoux 7750 movement. I was at the Tourneau outlet in central Florida last week looking to buy my first Swiss mechanical watch and got to talking with a great sales associate who seemed very knowledgeable. I had come in with the intentions of looking at the Oris Aquis and a Frederique Constant that had my interest but after talking to the guy and him listening to me talking about wanting to have a large collection with really phenomenal pieces he directed my towards a less expensive Khaki Field Chronograph with a H21 which is a Hamilton variant of the 7750 and told me this is what I would want as a first piece. My question is what makes the Valjoux 7750 a great movement and is it a movement that is respected in the eyes of movement snobs.

Thanks for reading my long question,

Zach

·
Registered
12,033 Posts

·
Registered
10,740 Posts
It is respected, and it has been used by many well respected brands over the years. Some modify it more than others, but it is still a 7750 at heart.

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
Its a robust and well respected work horse of a chrono. Valjoux 7750s form the base for many movements that try to pretend to be in house chrono movements. The other plus with them is that any competent watchmaker should be able to work on one.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate all the information; thanks all. So what brought about the name Valjoux?

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
As to whether movement snobs will be impressed, in a word, no. The 7750 was designed to be built cheap for a chrono movement. It is a basic workhorse chrono movement that can be modified with a fair number of complications.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As to whether movement snobs will be impressed, in a word, no. The 7750 was designed to be built cheap for a chrono movement. It is a basic workhorse chrono movement that can be modified with a fair number of complications.
So what kind of price point and watch are you looking at to impress the movement snobs?

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
So what kind of price point and watch are you looking at to impress the movement snobs?
Well every movement snob is different... :)

Understand the 7750 is essentially the least expensive Swiss auto chrono movement so it is kinda analogous to a Honda Civic.

I would say anyone that self-identifies as a movement snob will only be impressed in the $10K+ range for a chrono, maybe closer to $20k. I think the next echelon down would be some of the less expensive in-house column wheel movements.

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
Well every movement snob is different... :)

Understand the 7750 is essentially the least expensive Swiss auto chrono movement so it is kinda analogous to a Honda Civic.

I would say anyone that self-identifies as a movement snob will only be impressed in the $10K+ range for a chrono, maybe closer to $20k. I think the next echelon down would be some of the less expensive in-house column wheel movements.
onoz i can haz be snobz:(:(

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,779 Posts
The 7750 is a well made mechanical movement as is every other movement from ETA and other major manufacturers. So you should expect it will be quite reliable for a long time if it is maintained. Understand that regular maintenance is both expensive and especially important in a complicated chronograph movement. But there is nothing special or magical about it's design that makes it more substantial than any other recognized watch movement.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The 7750 is a well made mechanical movement as is every other movement from ETA and other major manufacturers. So you should expect it will be quite reliable for a long time if it is maintained. Understand that regular maintenance is both expensive and especially important in a complicated chronograph movement. But there is nothing special or magical about it's design that makes it more substantial than any other recognized watch movement.
How often would one need to service an automatic chronograph and do you have an idea of an average service's cost?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts