WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Spoiler alert: This has been posted in the Open Source Software thread but there are so many responses that I think we need a specific one dedicated to microphones.

I quote
I've read a lot of the posts but I may have missed something so I'll ask anyway.
tg is a fantastic piece of software and I enjoy using it.

However, my main microphone is a an old USB voip phone that I have skinned down so the mic is not be obstructed by buttons etc.
It works ok but is already many years old and I'm looking for a new one to take it's place because it will eventually break.

So the questions are
1. please let me know what USB mic you use and where you got it?
2. is it a piezo mic?
3. I have a soldering iron but that's about the extent of my electronics capabilities so has anyone found the need for an amp/filter and are there any workable modules that can be used without fabrication?
4. Has anyone devised a good stand for positional checking?
TIA

End of Quote

If it makes any difference I'm on a Windoze machine with USB2

·
Registered
159 Posts
What is TG and how do I get it? So I use tickoprint and had a machinist make me a stand that I could hold a mic in. I posted it some time ago.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What is TG and how do I get it? So I use tickoprint and had a machinist make me a stand that I could hold a mic in. I posted it some time ago.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
Hi jdrichard

I checked your posts but couldn't find the design. Would you be so kind as to post again please.

Check out this thread which, at the time of writing, was just below this one.
The software is available from the link in the first post I believe.
Version I have is 0.3.1 which has the calibration mode.
https://www.watchuseek.com/f6/open-source-timing-software-2542874.html

For others not familiar let me include pics which compares against a Tiimegrapher 1000.
Parnis 20160830.JPG Timegrapher Parnis Small 20160830_121649.jpg

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It seems to be agreed that piezo mics don't perform well.

Has anyone tried a telephone suction mic?

·
Registered
273 Posts
It seems to be agreed that piezo mics don't perform well.
Who did agree?

According to my experience the piezo mics perform much better than the elektret-condenser type. With the piezo I have less sound from surroundings and more solid borne sound of the whatch.
Of course size does matter. Frequency of the piezo as well as a suitable preamplifier do matter. Pay attention to the polarity of the piezo. Chance is 50/50 ;-)
On my preamp (Conrad kit 197688) a 15mm diameter piezo performs better than a 20mm piezo. I must admit I built up two identical preamps and both perform slightly different.

USB-type: I tryed once to have the supply voltage using the USB --> a lot of hum --> would require a filter or stabilisation of the voltage. So I prefer the 9V block batteries for amp power supply.

Hum-reduction: Using a laptop computer and unplug the mains adapter reduces hum as well slightly.

Would be interesting if someone tried to use the amp of an USB-VOIP and attached a piezo instead of the elektret-mic.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Piezo pickups are very high impedance devices and a lot of preamplifiers don't work particularly well with them. I've got a couple of them on order and will try them with a high-quality preamp/USB interface and report back here as to how it worked.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I think I said this before but just cut the ear bud parts off a pair of headphones and use that little mic part that is remaining. I have done this and it works like a charm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm still not having any success with my setup.

I bought a piezo mic after someone on the main thread suggested it worked well but it looks like I need a preamp.

Problem is I'm not good at electronics so I've enlisted a mate to give me a hand when he gets time.

You good people may be able to give me some pointers though.

I'm attempting to use a mic with a 6.5mm jack into a USB connector.
Sounds like the suggestion is to go directly to the sound card with a pre amp and to put external power (battery) on the pre amp. Is that correct?
Also does any one know if any of the pre amp modules on ebay any good? The basic ones seem to have a treble, a base and a volume setting.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Look for Barcus Berry and other similar piezo preamps.

Here's one that should work:

Schatten MINI PRE Belt-clip/Strap-clip Guitar/Instrument Preamp w/Volume NEW! | eBay

Or this one:

SPECIAL (WAS $99 THEN $79) CIGAR BOX GUITAR PIEZO PRE-AMP. IMPROVE VOLUME & TONE | eBay

Sounds like the suggestion is to go directly to the sound card with a pre amp and to put external power (battery) on the pre amp. Is that correct?
Also does any one know if any of the pre amp modules on ebay any good? The basic ones seem to have a treble, a base and a volume setting.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm still not having any success with my setup.

I bought a piezo mic after someone on the main thread suggested it worked well but it looks like I need a preamp.

Problem is I'm not good at electronics so I've enlisted a mate to give me a hand when he gets time.

You good people may be able to give me some pointers though.

Thanks for your help.
On Win7 PC:
I plug directly -without preamp- in sound card the following clip-on mic for guitar and let Windows install this input device automatically.
Hope it will work for you - unless you use another OS environment.

image.jpeg

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
What type of interface are you using to get the audio converted to USB?
Hi IvanC
I am using a piezo like this
Piezo pickup.jpg

and a 6.5mm to USD converter like this
65 to usb converter.jpg

Just in case it's a simple solution I'm going to buy a 6.5mm to 3.5mm sound case input adapter as well.

I see the pre amps you suggest, but I'm trying not to spend the equivalent on a Timegrapher just because I like the software :(

Reactions: IvanC

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On Win7 PC:
I plug directly -without preamp- in sound card the following clip-on mic for guitar and let Windows install this input device automatically.
Hope it will work for you - unless you use another OS environment.
Hi EATT_VN
Thanks for that.
I have now ordered a 6.5mm to 3.5mm adapter to plug directly in to the sound card.
I am running Windoze so hopefully that will work.

Reactions: IvanC

·
Registered
539 Posts
How about something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Acoustic-Guitar-Preamp-Amplifier-Preamps/dp/B0095DRRFO
71c0e5q8SGL._SL1500_.jpg
It looks like you can plug the piezo right in (3.5mm? too small for 1/4"/6.5mm). One of the pictures shows a long piezo element, but probably too big for watch work. Runs off a battery (9V), and has a 4-band EQ (I'd recommend leaving it flat, except for some low cut if you have 50-60 Hz line noise).

Disclaimer: I was lucky enough to not need a pre-amp, so I haven't tried this one, but when I looked into them, this seemed to be the cheapest way to go, without paying audiophile prices.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts

View attachment 11013730
It looks like you can plug the piezo right in (3.5mm? too small for 1/4"/6.5mm). One of the pictures shows a long piezo element, but probably too big for watch work. Runs off a battery (9V), and has a 4-band EQ (I'd recommend leaving it flat, except for some low cut if you have 50-60 Hz line noise).

Disclaimer: I was lucky enough to not need a pre-amp, so I haven't tried this one, but when I looked into them, this seemed to be the cheapest way to go, without paying audiophile prices.

Very interesting discussion!

There is a parallel discussion on mic'ing and amplification for laptop or desktop. There are multiple products that have worked reasonably well.

Here's the link:

D. I. Y. Watch Timing Machine.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh..../page__view__findpost__p__56090&share_type=t

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
150 Posts
What you are using should work ok with the piezo plugged into the guitar input. Perhaps it is set for traditional electric guitar magnetic pickups and not for the higher gain required by a piezo pickup. Worth trying the adapter as others have pointed out.

Just in case it's a simple solution I'm going to buy a 6.5mm to 3.5mm sound case input adapter as well.

I see the pre amps you suggest, but I'm trying not to spend the equivalent on a Timegrapher just because I like the software :(

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

View attachment 11013730

Thanks jisham and I understand what you mean about audiophile prices.
I had a look at the plugs and it appears the 6.5mm jack would be bolted to the body as an output to an amp and the piezo pickup is a 2.5mm plug.
It appears to be back to front for what I need but I could be wrong.

I'll wait for the 6.5 to 3.5 adapter and plug it directly into the audio before I go down the preamp path.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts