WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanting to know what automatic movement this is in the James McCabe Master JM-1013-03 watch. All I can find is "Japanese automatic movement"... I wasn't aware that a big date automatic movement was made by a Japanese movement manufacturer. Does anyone know the specific model name/number of this movement, and the manufacturer? Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
Just wanting to know what automatic movement this is in the James McCabe Master JM-1013-03 watch. All I can find is "Japanese automatic movement"... I wasn't aware that a big date automatic movement was made by a Japanese movement manufacturer. Does anyone know the specific model name/number of this movement, and the manufacturer? Thanks in advance.
I did a quick Google out of curiosity and came up with this image for the big date + subseconds movement.

4c42fcbfd77f8c1a3411addeec899c4b_large.jpg

Given the rotor design, decoration and price, I would bet on China being the source, not Japan.

Some of their other watches have open balances that look like the same position as Miyotas.

So they may make some watches with Japanese automatic movements, I don't feel it is the case with the big date.

Whether this is deliberate or accidental, this would still put the brand in my personal 'disreputable' file due to deception and/or incompetence.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the pic. I suspect a Chinese clone movement as well for this big date watch.

With that said, it would be nice to see a Miyota or a Seiko automatic movement with a big date. One day...

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
Thanks for the pic. I suspect a Chinese clone movement as well for this big date watch.

With that said, it would be nice to see a Miyota or a Seiko automatic movement with a big date. One day...
I don't know Chinese movements but after further looking around I found that a Seagull ST-25 has that combination as one of many options, and the rotor looks right for the ST-25.

Personally I think the thin Miyota 9015 would be ideal to add new modules to. Hint, hint, Miyota/Citizen...

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Miyota make lots of variations of their calibers, but big date and small seconds isn't one of them. Also that model is no longer in production so. I had a quick browse through the website and they seem to be using Miyotas now but that ain't no Miyota in that watch.

DOWNLOAD -MIYOTA MOVEMENT-

·
Registered
20,566 Posts
Big date isn't as trendy as it was decade ago, the remaining Japanese big date movements are all quartz. I think only Seiko could revive the big date complication on watches nowsaday with success.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts